Pandora Pandora Font

grummi

Still Fresh
Hi.

I hope this is the right forum for this.

I'm new to the Pandora project, but I wanted to contribute something. I read that there was no font for the one used in the Pandora Logo, so I tried creating one. I attached what I have made so far. I'm not too happy with the 'z' character. I have tried to create a font with fontforge, but I don't understand how it works, so I didn't even get the 'a' to work. Sadly I don't have any more time to work on this in the next few months.

If anybody wants to use it, change it or make a font out of the svg files, feel free to do so.

I thought I attached the svg to the post, but somehow I didn't. I hope it works now...

No, doesn't work. Uploaded to Mediafire instead.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice. I see the problem you're having with the 'z', but it's not too bad. Just a couple of thoughts: Shouldn't the 'y' take more after the 'g', and I think the 'v' should be more distinguishable from the 'u' somehow.

But I'm just being an armchair critic, good work! :)

Very nice! I only have a problem with "v" looking a lot like "u" if viewed separately, but I really can't think of a way to make a clear "v" while retaining the style.

just swap u and v round, that way u is curvy, and v has a corner to it, like it does :D

(i can tell them apart, just they really do look the wrong way round)

just swap u and v round, that way u is curvy, and v has a corner to it, like it does :D

(i can tell them apart, just they really do look the wrong way round)

Well, most of the time the 'u' is exactly the same as a inverse 'n', so I did it that way. I could try to make the curve of the 'v' bigger to make it easier to discern these two.

How about that:

26169064.png

Well, most of the time the 'u' is exactly the same as a inverse 'n', so I did it that way. I could try to make the curve of the 'v' bigger to make it easier to discern these two.

How about that:

26169064.png

nope, still see them backwards, could just be that in my mind, a u is curvy, and a v is pointy/with a slight corener somewhere (engineers seem to run into u and v being too similar in our scrawly handwriting often :D )

i think they both look like a u, see => u U

i suggest using a differt curve for the v and W, less straight line, tighter curve.

y also doesn't look right, its too wide (i wouldn't use this font to spell my name ;) )

Just a quick gimp, but how about this?

EDIT: notice that the 'v' is thinner to further emphasize the sharp corner

uv.png

What's wrong with something like this?

pandorav.png

I messed up the edges getting rid of some artifacts but you get the idea.

What's wrong with something like this?

pandorav.png

I messed up the edges getting rid of some artifacts but you get the idea.

Yeah, that's definitely a 'v'. It just doesn't fit that well to the style of the rest of the characters (at least in my opinion).

And feel free to use the original svg-file (I linked it in the second post) to edit the characters.

Why are the descenders of variable length? Make the j a bit longer.

<edit>Given the round nature of the font, the 't' is surprisingly straight. Perhaps a curvy 't' would fit better.</edit>

This has rather sharp edges. I think it should be more round, like this:
That's what I was going for, although I think it needs to be slightly wider because it's diagonal.

I don't think it's that far away from the style if it's rounded enough.

I'd need to see it in context, but I think a slightly off style character is better than one you can't read.

I tried to make it more round, but as said I've not often used Inkscape and so I couldn't get it more round.

@Caine: I like the descenders like they are and I think the "j" would look strange if you made it's descender longer.

I made a curvy t: http://t4b.me/not_joomla/t.svg

Yes, I think the 'j' looks strange if the descender is as long as the others. The 'j' would look to big in my opinion.

@T4b: The t is definitely the wrong way. Try making it the other way around.

Back