Pandora doesnt look as good as i expected !

paddy

Website
Visit site
I was really into the pandora from the early days but now that i have seen it in
amore complete form and also seen some games running on the device i now
feel disapointed.The controls for the DPad dont at all look good,i would like to
know why no one just copies the superior nintendo nes DPad,mabe alter it a little
so it doesnt infringe on copyright,quake 3 didnt impress me at all,it didnt run
silky smooth and many other homebrew apps dont utilise fullscreen display
without borders.this device reminds me of a crappy underpowered laptop/eepc
running crappy linux trying to run games that just dont run very well.

what are your thoughts as i need a new device and the pandora is off the list
so looking for a x86 mini device or a custom device for gaming.

Paddy

ohh and please feel free .....

This is totally the wrong section of the forums. You might even be in the wrong forum if you think the device is crappy because it is running Linux, this is the open hand held forum after all. Eeepc isn't even a hand held, and you fail to understand much about emulation of older game systems.

What do you expect from a small handheld device? The EeePC is easily TWICE the size of the Pandora so it isn't quite as portable. They aren't even in the same class.

Also, there hasn't been much software written for the Pandora because it hasn't been released yet. All of the code has been ported from elsewhere because no developers have specifically targetted it yet.

Also, keep in mind that Quake 3 doesn't support shaders but the Pandora hardware does. The graphics can get better than Quake 3. Also note that several libraries or wrappers will need to be ported before running mainstream software becomes a simple option (thinking of OpenGL 2.0 wrapper for OpenGL ES 2).

As for the DPad, the plastic molds aren't even fully finished yet and you're already complaining about them. CraigX reviewed the Wiz and Dingoo on YouTube and made a special point to note about the buttons and DPads. He knows what he's doing.

I scrapped my plans of a netbook for the pandora recently, I have thought about it for ages and i know it'll be the best choice in the end.

The fact that pandora developers are there to talk to and that the product lifecycle is about 4 years your going to get more support from the device in terms of firmware fixes and additional plugins that are device specific where as if you buy an eeepc a new one will already have been announced with a better something....

netbooks are good but ten a penny. This UMPC is superior in more ways other than not running windows.
I really think the pandora can become something special.

what im trying to say is ,im on a dell mini - ok its not great but it can do great
things like run full speed n64 and psx games as well as all the older systems
all running from a custom booting gui with a webcam/mic and extra storage space
including wireless server access,then theres some of the older pc games like
halflife,diablo 2,age of mythology,unreal tournament,counter stike and others
that can run very nicely on the mini,quake 3 included.i I also have ubuntu installed
on the mini,actuly i only have ubuntu installed at the moment and i can do nothing
on it without complete pain and frustration,im still learning but i do know how
to use ubuntu and from a gaming/multimedia point of view its completely rubbish
including its resorces manager doesnt come close to windows,with this i mean
it runs great for 20 mins then slows to a crawl.

i think when i look at the pandora,all i am going to see is a watered down
linux distro with games not running as good as they could be,no disrespect
to the devs but even console emulators on linux are pretty slow and i fear
always will be,now im talking about a dell mini's performance not a pandora
and im sure we all know a dell mini is much more powerfull,1.7ghz i think
and 1 gig memory.

the d pad controller does look crap and prolly will be crap,i dont care
who craig is,unless he does a nes style d pad, it will just be crap.

What are you want?
Are you seen the advertisment "New genius device - Pandora" on shop windows?
If no, that conversation are finished. If developments of Pandora said that Pandora are finished than сlaims would be proved.
In this moment no.

paddy said:
emulators on linux are pretty slow
How are they 'slow'? I doubt that emulators are faster on anything else that runs on ARM.

paddy said:
unless he does a nes style d pad, it will just be crap.
That is an opinion, you need to say 'unless he uses a nes style d-pad I think it will be crap because I like the NES d-pad style better'.

paddy said:
its(ubuntu's) resorces manager doesnt come close to windows,with this i mean it runs great for 20 mins then slows to a crawl.
I've never experienced this on any Linux distro, I have experienced it with every version of Windows 95 and up, but never Linux.

Also, download the Google Toolbar, especially if you don't speak English very well as it has a spell button. I'm not sure where to find a grammar check.

spelling is not an issue tho i did type it in very fast on a small crappy keyboard
without time to read it over lol @ craigixus,good evening to ya all !

smell you later. Locky time?

edit: reason it doesnt have the nes d-pad because its most likely patented, thats why nintendo have used it ever since.
also nintendos dpad is rubbish for emus as directional combos are difficult to achieve in fighting games.

>_>

What you're saying is that a device that has not even been sold to anyone has bad software, and this is keeping you from buying it?
Wow.
Well.
That's...

Well, have fun with your Dell Mini, and its battery life, and its backpack that you need to carry it around...

Heck, I wish it had a d-pad like the Turbo Touch 360. Everyone said they were crap, including the site I linked to, but I broke out the old SNES with my TT360 a few days ago and I love it still. In fact it feels weird for me to use the original SNES controller. I don't know where the heck the reviewer got the dust thing from, that has never happened to me and the controls were always perfect for me.

Point is paddy everyone has an opinion on what d-pad styles are better, but only one can be implemented. The one that it has is the one that it has, you'll get used to it. Did you have a GP2X? I got used to that stick and when I first used it I though 'this is crap', but that was just an opinion and I adapted.

As far as your spelling you should really take the time and fix that after you type everything out. If English isn't your native tongue grammar is understandable, but I think incorrect spelling just says you're lazy.

so Linux is the OS used on the worlds fastest supercomputers because bad scheduling/resource management/slowing to a crawl after 20 mins makes your system faster?

UT2004 and all the Quakes running under Open GL on both OS`s benchmarks faster under Linux for the same reason?

Linux runs on PC`s that Windows can`t even run on at a usable speed cos it`s inferior/slower?

most embeded devices run Linux kernels cos manufacturers like to cripple their products?

MS have given you access to their source code so you can optimise your software?

ummm!

that`s.... No!, No!, No!, No! and NO!

maybe you might like to consider the possibility you are wrong?.....or a troll?.

funny how the "dis" posts are on the increase the closer the Pandora gets to launch, now I wonder why that could be??? :wink:

hansfranz said:
lol one person rants about the pandora and everybody cries..... fanboys <_<
Nobody cried. Trying to understand someone else's opinion does not make them a fanboy. Stop trying to troll, you're not very good at it.

hansfranz said:
lol one person rants about the pandora and everybody cries..... fanboys <_<
They're not fanboys. They're just annoyed by uneducated rants.

Pandora != Netbook.

Desktop Ubuntu != Handheld device running Linux.

Virtually every successful handheld device has run either Linux or a similar modular/embeddable OS. Windows hasn't fared well here for various reasons, one of which is the lack of program compatibility. (admit it, WinCE isn't so great for running desktop apps either. ;) ) Linux has repositories of software, which Windows doesn't, so the Pandora should have more software available at launch rather than less.

Again, this is compared to handhelds; not netbooks. But if you can get by with a x86 netbook with a 3hr battery life and no gaming controls, then the Pandora ain't for you! ^_^

I think craigix summed it up best. I have absolute faith in this team's awesome dpad making skills.

it's not about being a fanboy, the guy's arguments are simply a load of crap. Frankly when someone is unwilling to except any reality but his own the only thing you can do is tell him to fuck off and go enjoy the rest of your day, it's not worth fighting someone who doesnt want to hear an opposing idea. Hell I could give him a good reason why people dont just use the Nintendo D-pad but I'd rather not even bother because he's not worth taking the time to explain it to.

Lock the thread and move on there's nothing to see here. Enjoy your day.

If you want an NES style dpad you should get a Dingoo. Personally I think you're crazy, and that better dpads have been done since then.. Pandora's dpad is being tweaked by DaveC and I trust his judgment when it comes to dpads. His n-gage dpad mode for GP2X was an excellent choice.

hey, guys, there's this thing i literally know nothing about that i discovered yesterday, and you know what? - i think it's crap.

ps: behold my forum miasma - i need my ignorance to be heard!

Alpha2 said:
Frankly when someone is unwilling to except any reality but his own the only thing you can do is tell him to fuck off and go enjoy the rest of your day, it's not worth fighting someone who doesnt want to hear an opposing idea.

that might be the case in real life, but not on the internetz. laughing about and ignoring people that annoy you is how it goes! but still i have to say, the way some of you still try to convince him is astounding, since he clearly stated hes not interested anymore (really, IF you were smart youd just ignore trolls instead of feeding these useless threads and adding oil to the fire.

Back