Pandora Compatibility on Pyra?

Alperoot

Welcome! Welcome to Airstrip 17.
Hi Ed!
I'm interested in Pyra and I can't wait to see it when it's done! But as everyone knows, Pandora is an awesome device too, and there are a lot of packages (.pnd) for Pandora!
So, is Pyra going to be compatible with the Pandora repositry?

Last edited by a moderator:
Most likely some pnds will run, you can even run some pnds on a normal PC.

Hardware specific stuff however definitely wont run. 

But the porters will recreate them for the pyra quite quickly i suppose. 

Most likely some pnds will run, you can even run some pnds on a normal PC.

Hardware specific stuff however definitely wont run. 

But the porters will recreate them for the pyra quite quickly i suppose.
A small minority of the PNDs are Python or Java based, sure if someone is sadistic enough to port the PND system over to PC those PNDs could be used. The issue with Pyra and Pandora compatibility is library dependency issues(armel vs armhf), issues between the differences in hardware and what not.

So in a sense someone will need to make a compatibility solution like Ginge for the Pandora to play GP2X software. It can be done, but a lot of work. The good thing is that the majority of the Pandora porters/developers are planning on making the transition to the Pyra. My guess is that It won't take too long to port over the software and it's most likely better to do it that way than to use the Pandora version.

A lot of the Pandora PNDs are also just repackaged versions of software that is already an apt-get install away in Debian. Only you automatically get the most recent versions of everything...

A lot of the Pandora PNDs are also just repackaged versions of software that is already an apt-get install away in Debian. Only you automatically get the most recent versions of everything...
Except games are not optimized in any way, Most are compiled against OpenGL vs GLES, sure there is lunixboch's glshim, but that may not necessarily work. Default controls schemes won't be optimal and no clue what other hardware quirks like the OMAP framebuffer will cause. Dosbox off the debian repo is unplayable it's slower than the Pandora version. The debian repo will be good for application and such, games wise won't be that great.

Its actually pretty easy

A small minority of the PNDs are Python or Java based, sure if someone is sadistic enough to port the PND system over to PC those PNDs could be used. The issue with Pyra and Pandora compatibility is library dependency issues(armel vs armhf), issues between the differences in hardware and what not.
I run an armhf debian on my pandora and chrooting into nand to start the psx emulator works without problems. So its not a to hard solve problem, its just hard to make it "perfect".

As for python based pnds: unpacking and double click works. 

Its actually pretty easy

I run an armhf debian on my pandora and chrooting into nand to start the psx emulator works without problems. So its not a to hard solve problem, its just hard to make it "perfect".As for python based pnds: unpacking and double click works.
Well yeah chroot is the method of providing a binary compatible environment, but the other issues like differences in how the Pandora/pyra handle things like the OMAP framebuffer, screen scaling, SDL will still make it a difficult endeavor to get games working right and my guess somethings will work okay and other will not.

But hey it looks like you are on the forefront of creating a compatibility layer.

I rather want to make new packages for every single pnd than making a "good" compatibility layer. 

Its not worth it, not needed and far harder than repack. 

OK, you are right but there are some awesome projects made by awesome people like you but isn't supporting anymore.I personally think there should be a compatibility for .pnd packages. But as Elw3 said, even if there wouldn't be any support for Pandora packages on Pyra, some people will actually develop these for Pyra, making it more than a "port".

The easiest solution is to play Pandora PNDs on Pandora and Pyra PND (or whatever it will be called) on the Pyra.  The last thing I want to do is put my awesome Pandoras (which are not cheap) on the shelf collecting dust.  This way Pandora would still get some love as whoever wants to develop for Pandora continues to develop for Pandora, and whoever wants to develops for Pyra devlelops for Pyra.

As I'm in the process of learning Python... I'm in the hopes that most of what I write for Pyra with be trivial to get working on the Pandora if it's not too demanding.

So I'm pretty stoked now that the Pandora version I have is a CC... I can do all my testing myself.

I've done pnd support on x86 years ago (not hard: the code is portable).

To have a (partial) pnd support on pyra is matter of doing this and have a pandora os chroot available.

this way many (non accelerated) pnd could work.

But dont count 3d apps or optimized emulator to work this way

edit: should have readed the whole thread before posting :D

Back