Pandora and PSP charger

madlyinsane

Still Fresh
My Pandora turned up today I'm really happy with the build quality all buttons and nubs feel great how ever the Pandora keeps turning off while I'm trying to use it, I'm pretty sure it's because the charger isn't connecting properly. I'm not sure if the problem is in the Pandora or if its in the power cable.

I've noticed the PSP charger is the same size as the Pandora charger and they're both 5V so I was wondering if it's safe to use a PSP charger in a Pandora?

As long it is an official psp charger it is completely safe. I'm to lazy to find the quote but I know Craig said it safe.

Because I am overcautious I compared the voltage and current with a multimeter and they are the same. I only use my psp charger as I trust it more than the supplied one(also because I am overcautious).

You might want to charge it through USB, it is a funny USB connector, not the full one or the mini, don't know what is is called, but there is no way your computer will send too much juice through the cable.

I'll probably use USB anyway, I have a usb charger from my nook that I already use for my DS and logically nook. If I only take that around then I only have to have one charger for the 3 devices.

EDIT: Is the Pandora micro-b? My nook is micro-b, it will save me carrying around a cable.

271px-Types-usb_new.svg.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Is the Pandora micro-b?

No, the OTG connector is mini-A.
So it is the same as most external HDs? Well, if I only charge my Pandora or use my 2.5" HDD I'm fine, just not both at once.

EDIT: I hate USB, looking at the mini and micro they are both pretty much the same size, why the freak did the nook use the micro and not the mini, there is enough room for the mini on there. Or micro, confusing. . .

Thanks for responding guys.

My PSP cable doesn't fit into the Pandora, it sits really loose and the Pandora wont power up from it. I've noticed the Pandora charger doesn't have the yellow uh... cap? round the top of the pin like the PSP charger does, I'm wondering if it could have come off inside the Pandora and that's what's causing the problems I'll try to get a photo up of the end of the cable and the power input of the Pandora.

Thanks for responding guys.

My PSP cable doesn't fit into the Pandora, it sits really loose and the Pandora wont power up from it. I've noticed the Pandora charger doesn't have the yellow uh... cap? round the top of the pin like the PSP charger does, I'm wondering if it could have come off inside the Pandora and that's what's causing the problems I'll try to get a photo up of the end of the cable and the power input of the Pandora.
If you need to send it back just use USB to charge it for now, don't go out and buy a new charger.

Hmm, that may be the case as the pandora charger is supposed to have a cap...thingy. Strange that it fits loosely. My psp charger fit perfectly in the pandora

Silly question - but I don't have a PSP - any way to procure an official one? Online store in the states that sells them?

Silly question - but I don't have a PSP - any way to procure an official one? Online store in the states that sells them?
Any online store. If Sony makes it be prepared to sell them your soul and first born child and maybe an arm and a leg to get it. I don't think Sony sells anything cheap.

Ok I've got some photos. Looking at the photo of the input I'm near certain that the cap has come off inside the Pandora.

http://img841.imageshack.us/i/chargehead.jpg/

http://img33.imageshack.us/i/inputph.jpg/

edit: http://www.amazon.com/Sony-PSP-Power-Outlet-Adapter-Charger/dp/B002TK3GH8/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1297357441&sr=8-3

I think that's official.

Uh, did that little yellow cap come off in your Pandora? That would explain why the PSP charger is loose.

EDIT: Oh, that was your theory. Funny, anyone with a Pandora notice if it has yellow int there?

Yep that's the cap in there. Maybe you can take a needle or something an try to get it out by 'hooking' it in the little hole in the cap.

edit:

I don't think that one is official. Mine says Sony Computer entertainment in the corner. That one says jet or something. I wouldn't recommend buying a charger of an unknown amazon store.

Yep that's the cap in there. Maybe you can take a needle or something an try to get it out by 'hooking' it in the little hole in the cap.

Well I guess that's better that having a defective unit, I'll give the needle thing a go seems like it could be trouble to dislodge though.

I'd use a sewing needle, a little stiffer and shaper, and 'stab' it and see if you can pull it out that way. If the plastic is soft enough maybe you can get pretty deep in it with a stab.

I have no doubt that this is what has happened, and since you can't push the PSP charger all the way in it won't latch and certainly won't charge. You need to get that yellow cap part out and I've no idea how you would go about doing it. Perhaps some thread, super glue, and a very stead hand?

I have no doubt that this is what has happened, and since you can't push the PSP charger all the way in it won't latch and certainly won't charge. You need to get that yellow cap part out and I've no idea how you would go about doing it. Perhaps some thread, super glue, and a very stead hand?

I'm having no luck with hooking it out with a needle or stabbing into the plastic. I'd rather not go down the super glue road just yet. It looks there is some sort of roller that keeps the plug fitted and that's what us stopping the cap coming out.

Does anyone have any other ideas?

Back