Pandora 2.0?

b1ueskycomp1ex

Open Sauce Fanatic & AMD Fanboy
Website
https
Yes, Yes, I know. The pandora is brand new. It just came out. 1/10th of them have issues, etc.

But is it possible that in the future we might see some more handhelds from you guys? ;D After all this pandora work, dealing with companies and such, you guys will be pros at this whole open source handheld thing. Or do you think the pandora will be the end of the line? ;P

They'll probably do a Super Pandora with nothing changed other than the new 1 Ghz chip - making software compatible between the two.

After that i think it's unlikely they'll (greatly) change the case, or the design. They'll put a new board in eventually or 3D capabilites at some point but Pandora will always stay the Pandora, don't think there's going to be changes like from GBA to DS, etc. I mean, the design is perfect for nerd gamers like us. Change it and you'll loose perfection.

Just a small request, next time please "gravedig" one of the other Pandora 2 threads. I'm tired of repeating myself over and over again and I'm sure others think similarly :p

Yeah I'm sure there will be a Pandora 2 that's way more powerful specs, and the same plastic case. That way everything will go much smoother :)

I dunno, the case is pretty flawed right now. I'd like to see a redesign with a professional case manufacturer. Maybe a metal case so it's more durable and less prone to cracking/buckling. Also 4 shoulder buttons, six action buttons, and a bigger/higher res screen. Also HDMI.

I'm hoping that some future battery technology will mean the case can be thinner. Gotta keep moving forward eh?

But then again, the Game Boy was pretty much unchanged for ten years before Nintendo started tinkering.

holy crap how did some of you put up with these threads for 3 years?

DaMummy said:
holy crap how did some of you put up with these threads for 3 years?

Prescription drugs.

Do they work? I might try them some time.

Last edited by a moderator:
typs lik dis said:
I dunno, the case is pretty flawed right now. I'd like to see a redesign with a professional case manufacturer.
The case design is sound IMO. The issues we've seen have been (again, IMO) the result of a case manufacturer that doesn't quite have the chops to to turn out Sony quality on a device this small and complex. I think if there are any case changes for Pandora 2, they'd only need to be minor aesthetic ones.

Gruso said:
typs lik dis said:
I dunno, the case is pretty flawed right now. I'd like to see a redesign with a professional case manufacturer.
The case design is sound IMO. The issues we've seen have been (again, IMO) the result of a case manufacturer that doesn't quite have the chops to to turn out Sony quality on a device this small and complex. I think if there are any case changes for Pandora 2, they'd only need to be minor aesthetic ones.

Personally, I would prefer something non painted. If something like that becomes available later, I'll be first in line.

I really want one of those transparent cases Ed had. Oh god... really want.

Gruso said:
typs lik dis said:

Yes, minor aesthetic ones. I would cancel my pre-order and wait for a later batch if anyone was making a Pandora-like device (including openpandora, btw) without all the case cracks, bezel bulges, etc.

Think about the causes of all these issues though.

Shoulder buttons - Drilled out / inconsistent fit because paint affected the tolerances.
Bezel - Most likely cause according to DaveC is paint making it a tighter fit.
Rough styli - Paint.
Case cracks - no conclusive info here, but what are the possibilites? Maybe the plastic compound, maybe an assembly issue, maybe a tiny allowance needs to be made in the mould where the USB port is. Maybe paint/tolerances again? All speculation of course.

They're all real issues, but when you say redesign, you're talking about going back to the drawing board for 6 months. The mere suggestion of that is a great disservice to Dave's design, which is already 99.999% spot on I reckon. It's the process that needs to be refined, and that's exactly what appears to be happening as we speak.

Gruso said:
Think about the causes of all these issues though.

Shoulder buttons - Drilled out / inconsistent fit because paint affected the tolerances.
Bezel - Most likely cause according to DaveC is paint making it a tighter fit.
Rough styli - Paint.
Case cracks - no conclusive info here, but what are the possibilites? Maybe the plastic compound, maybe an assembly issue, maybe a tiny allowance needs to be made in the mould where the USB port is. Maybe paint/tolerances again? All speculation of course.

They're all real issues, but when you say redesign, you're talking about going back to the drawing board for 6 months. The mere suggestion of that is a great disservice to Dave's design, which is already 99.999% spot on I reckon. It's the process that needs to be refined, and that's exactly what appears to be happening as we speak.
Well yes as I said paint DOES matter and does have a thickness. People think "Oh it is just paint, that shouldn't be thick enough have an effect". On my big industrial machines I design at work if the guy sprays paint on to the wrong spot the guy can't even assemble steel parts with a sledge hammer, he has to grind off the spot. In the lid for example it is the thickness TIMES 4. 2 thicknesses in the inner lid, 2 on the outer.

I am sure it could cause the whole case to fit tighter and maybe cause other issues (cracks etc). If paint pools and wicks to corners etc then it could create un-even stress concentrations which could cause cracks and warps. I havent seen a painted case so I don't know how the Chinese paint quality and consistancy is.

If a MK2 was ever done I would want to shave off some areas to compensate for the paint.

One must realize that those Apple and Sony products they get probably go through many revisions to molds. I wouldn't be surprised and even expect that entire mold sets were made then thrown out and new ones with revisions made. They have litteraly BILLIONS to do that kind of thing. We couldn't afford that. I am actually suprised it worked as well as it did with the one mold the first time. If it weren't for the paint the case would be pretty much spot on.

(BTW your great Apple stuff is not immune to problems. iPhone 4 with a faulty antenna design, iPads with dodgy wifi, yellow un-even lit screens, light leaking backlights, bad pixels etc.)

DaveC said:
Well yes as I said paint DOES matter and does have a thickness. People think "Oh it is just paint, that shouldn't be thick enough have an effect".
I agree and if Fatih would have kept on them about only painting where they were supposed to instead of slathering it on like a '69 Charger restoration project, it would have been fine. I have three painted case samples and they all went together beautifully. No bowing. No cracking. No noisy face buttons and no goofy shoulder buttons.

No wait...they did get paint in the shoulder buttons but they were supposed to be told about that so it wouldn't happen in production.

How about outsourcing it all to a Chinese or Korean company, like the company who build the Wiz/Caanoo?

By the way,
I like these specs:

ARM® Cortex™-A9 MPCore 1,5+ Ghz Quadcore
2+ GB RAM
16+ GB Flash
5" or 6" Capacitive Screen, 1024x600, 16.7 million colours touchscreen LCD
4400 Mha battery 12+ hours
USB 3.0 (2x)
GPS
WIFI Wifi 802.11b/g/n
LTE
Bluetooth
Micro SIM (Do we want to make calls with a Pandora?)
HDMI
SVideo TV-out
Dual SDXC card slots

:)

dont forget accelerometers, gyroscope, compass and multitouch!

why not throw in a firewire while youre at it, oh, optical out for sound!
eSATA?

why not build a optical mouse in the bottom of the pandora, NO EXTERNAL MOUSE OR TOUCH NEEDED, JUST SLIDE PANDY AROUND! O_O

GizmoTheGreen said:
dont forget accelerometers, gyroscope, compass and multitouch!

why not throw in a firewire while youre at it, oh, optical out for sound!
eSATA?

why not build a optical mouse in the bottom of the pandora, NO EXTERNAL MOUSE OR TOUCH NEEDED, JUST SLIDE PANDY AROUND! O_O
I want a touch sensitive keyboard SO WHEN I'M ANGRY IT TYPES IN CAPITALS AND AUTO ADDS EXTRA...!!!'S

Back