Overpowering GP32 FLU to 4.5v

Antiriad

Website
Visit site
Hello,

I run my GP32 FLU off the mains, and as prescribed have my variable PSU set at 3v.

However, I tried it on 4.5v and it really made the screen much much clearer as the FLU's strength really went up a notch.

Has anyone else tried this though? Is it highly unrecommended? I only tried it on for about 10 seconds in fear that i may fry my FPU.

i wouldnt advise doing this, im not sure wheter the voltage regulators inside can handle that sorta thing or wther something will fry, if you wish your flyu to be brighter i suggest looking to see where the flu draws its power from(i dont have a flu unit so this is guesswork) it is likely there will be a resistor reducing the voltage to the leds in the flu, if there is measure its size then replace it with a smaller resistor, just make sure u dont make the voltage too high, if there isnt a resistor i suggest finding somwhere on the pcb that produces a higher voltage, and wire the flu to that. Thats just my ideas and i cant take responsibility for any damage you may cause to your gp.(just my little disclaimer)

anyway, i wouldnt recommend using a higher voltage in the adapter as i reckon you will probably break your gp.

Would probably be ok for a while, but would definitely stress the components in the end. You'll probably find that your GP32 wont be any different, as it's 'behind' voltage regulators. However (as far as I know), the FLU light runs directly off the battery, meaning that it will get brighter with increasing voltage.

I think.

:p

Yes, it will be brighter and clearer with increased voltage, but it will last a lot less before it stops working.

why not try make a set of seperate batteries that go directly to the Flu and misses out the Components of the GP32 to make it brighter??

I have to be honest, but I swear i smelt a "roasting" smell eminating from the left hand side of the screen (where the light is?) so i doubt ill try it again.

Still, was impressive whilst it lasted

rpgchocobo posted on Dec 31 2003 at 11:18 PM said:
Can you put smartmedia cards of a higher voltage rate with 4.5v?
Can the 5v SMCs even physically fit into the socket? I thought they couldn't because the cut-out corner was on the wrong side or something.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back