Organizational Apps?

pokitfoxx

so im assuming when i get my hands on my panda, i wont put it down for months, so my questions are this.
i want to be able to take notes, for memory and things, is there a simple reminder organizer?
is there a wicked calendar so i can go to a certain date and put an appointment in and it will let me know early about it?
alarm clock? for those days when u fall asleep with it in your hands but still have to work in the morning.
and last but not least, is there a text to speech program for pandoras? if there is, is it hard to understand what its saying? (eg: dingoo)
thanks if you answer any of these. sorry im no dev so simply making this stuff myself is out of my league. :(

if XFCE is complete for Pandora, then Orage will take care of your calendar needs.. not sure about the alarm clock one, as I can't think of a linux alarm clock program that I have been able to get working well (not that there isn't one, just that I haven't found one)... as far as note-taking is concerned, my fav app for that is notecase... but not sure if there is a pnd for it or if it has been packaged for angstrom... hopefully someone else can chime in on the parts of this I couldn't really answer...

Orage is there and works fine and Exaile has an alarm clock plugin included in the pnd. As for notes and text to speech, sorry no idea.

For text to speech, you need to install the flite package. I just spent the last half an hour "talking" like a robot :p

Prometheus said:
Recordings, please, Stan. :p
I am a robot :D
1) Some work needs to be done on the voice. There are a bunch of different features that can be manipulated to get the installed voices to sound different, and apparently it's possible to build in voices based on FestVox, but that requires recompiling flite from source.
2) There is no ftp client installed by default! Not even the command line one. I had to opkg install it from netkit. This seems like a major oversight. Filing a bug report now.
Flite is also the engine used by Navit for its turn-by-turn navigation.

Last edited by a moderator:
WizardStan said:
2) There is no ftp client installed by default! Not even the command line one. I had to opkg install it from netkit. This seems like a major oversight. Filing a bug report now.
does that please you enough ?

sebt3 said:
WizardStan said:
does that please you enough ?
Not really. How can I write a script to upload something to my ftp server with that? The command line ftp client is only 10K, it's not going to break the bank, and automating uploads in a shell script is easy. :)

WizardStan said:
Not really. How can I write a script to upload something to my ftp server with that? The command line ftp client is only 10K, it's not going to break the bank, and automating uploads in a shell script is easy. :)
then why not scp or even sftp ?

thanks for the answers to pretty much all of my questions, i am well aware of the fact that i am new to this waiting game and you have all earned my respect, ive only been able to pay recently and im >already< dying to have this puppy in my hands :( :D

EDIT: missed word

Back