Opengl Es - Maximum Texture Size?

aho

Website
kaioa.com
Google and Yahoo weren't of much help here (and my Wiz didn't arrive yet)... so what's the maximum texture size over in GLES 1.1 land?

Bonus question: Does using the maximum texture size for atlas/sprite-sheets cause performance degeneration? In theory using one big texture which contains lots of sprites should result in a speed-up, since there are fewer texture switches. However, this doesn't work well on some machines. E.g. using 2048x2048 (2048*2048*4=16,777,216) on a 32mb card resulted in excessive speed degeneration, while using the smaller one (1024x1024) worked fine and it also was faster than 512x512 or 256x256.

(Well, I don't really have a clue how expensive texture switches on those embedded machines are.)

How do you set up OpenGL ES for wiz? I can't find a way to do it. I've downloaded header files, but i can't find library files. Can you help me?

Yeah, i need library for development. I don't know how to use external library from my project. How can i do that?

sbock posted on May 21 2009 at 08:46 AM said:
Afaik GL_MAX_TEXTURE_SIZE is 512.
[...]
Thanks for that. I'm fine with 512x512. One can put lots of sprites into one of those. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back