GP2X Open2x

Fueler

Still Fresh
Would it be possible to get an overview of where Open2x is at?

I would love to convert my GP2X to Open2X, but curious if the following will work.

- USB HD when connected to base station
- USB Joystick
- TV Out
- Movie Playback (DivX, Xvid, ect...)
- Mp3 playback

Basically retaining what's running now...

Main reason I want to update is to allow support for 4GB+ SD cards. Thank you for your patience in answering this.

Fueler said:

I would love to convert my GP2X to Open2X, but curious if the following will work.

- USB Joystick
- TV Out
- Mp3 playback

Main reason I want to update is to allow support for 4GB+ SD cards. Thank you for your patience in answering this.
1) Yes
2) Yes
3) Yes
4) Yes
5) Yes, though we don't have a music player built into the firmware yet so you'll need to put your own on SD :).

We are getting close now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Orkie said:
Fueler said:

- USB Joystick
- TV Out
- Mp3 playback

1) Yes
2) Yes
3) Yes
4) Yes
5) Yes, though we don't have a music player built into the firmware yet so you'll need to put your own on SD :).

I cannot wait! =] Been looking forward to this for a long time. Thank you for the quick response!!

Orkie said:
Fueler said:

- USB Joystick
- TV Out
- Mp3 playback

1) Yes
2) Yes
3) Yes
4) Yes

To add:

6 MPEG2 playback? ISO/DVD support?

7 Full TV-Out playback (for turning old GP2X's into media center machines)

8 Keyboard support?

9 Full compatibility with homebrow using the minimal libs or SDL on the original firmware.

10 Hardware acceleration of DiVX/MPEG2 (Will the binary blob accel Divx on your firmware? I know MPEG is probably out of the question.)

What if I have a completely bricked GP2X, will there be a JTAG tool with smart bad sector flashing so that I can use your firmware? Even if I have a bad SD slot? I can wait a week and keep it running on a power supply if need be.

nubie said:
To add:

6 MPEG2 playback? ISO/DVD support?

7 Full TV-Out playback (for turning old GP2X's into media center machines)

8 Keyboard support?

9 Full compatibility with homebrow using the minimal libs or SDL on the original firmware.

10 Hardware acceleration of DiVX/MPEG2 (Will the binary blob accel Divx on your firmware? I know MPEG is probably out of the question.)
What if I have a completely bricked GP2X, will there be a JTAG tool with smart bad sector flashing so that I can use your firmware? Even if I have a bad SD slot? I can wait a week and keep it running on a power supply if need be.

6. Not unless MP2X supports it.
7. I don't know about media centres, but TV-out yes.
8. Yes
9. Yes
10. Yes

And no, you can't reflash your GP2X without a working SD slot.

pcklee123 said:
would the open2x toolchain work for Pandora and wiz?
Yes, but you'd probably want a special one for each machine since both the Wiz's and Pandora's CPUs have extra features not supported by an ARMv4 toolchain and it'd be a shame to waste them.

Any chance of having system where you can just do
./configure --target=arm-gp2x-linux
./configure --target=arm-wiz-linux
./configure --target=arm-pandora-linux
./configure --target=arm-gp32
for each machine and then run make, so that we can download the source code and then compile for any of the above? Or does this sound too much like gentoo?

Back