Open2X With Gmenu 0.11?

gbytz

Still Fresh
Hi everybody. I installed Open2x(DR7) a few days ago and it's awsome. But I noticed there are newers versions of Gmu, Xpdf and GMenu2x. Is there any way to "update" the build-in apps that came with Open2x?
I have traid the next without success(may be it's silly, but I wanted to try something before ask):
I extracted the o2xfs file (Open2x->ON_SD->o2xfs.tar.gz). There in the /opt folder I found the applications folders and I replace the files of each app. Gmu confused me specialy because the files in Open2x's version are differents from the latest version Gmu 0.7.2. Could it be because open2x's version is specialy edited to work on open2x?
The thing is: I replaced those files and then went for GMenu2x.
In /usr/menu I found (what I think is) the GMenu2x folders and files. There were almost no difference betwen open2x's scripts and GMenu2x 0.11 scripts, neigther sections folders, except for input.conf. So then I replaced the old files for the newones(including input.conf).
Then I compressed the o2xfs file again. With this 'edited' o2xfs file I traid to flash Open2x in the gp2x again.
The flashing process went ok: Formating Nand... Copying Firmware...Done bla blah. But when I restart the gp2x to finish the upgrade, Open2x starts loading but it get stuck in "Loading userspace".

Does anybody know how to do this?

TIA

sorry for my poor english.

gbytz said:

Another approach would to use the original firmware and copy the news files onto the nand via scripts or serial command line.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pickle said:
gbytz said:

Another approach would to use the original firmware and copy the news files onto the nand via scripts or serial command line.

offtopic: but the original firmware is shit and you also lose the soft-reset ability xD

ontopic: The problem is that the gmenu that open2x uses is a modified version. and has some tweaks that are open2x especifics (as far as i know)

Last edited by a moderator:
I tried the newest version of gmenu2x and it doesn't work well, the font was very ugly. And I didn't find anything new, that I need for my open2x.

Generally it is pretty easy to update a programm, if you use things like ftp or telnet with your gp2x. I copied the new files to a sd card and copied their with telnet to the right place on the NAND. There is still enough free space on the NAND to make backups, too. As I said before, I needed a backup for the new, ugly gmenu2x.

Another way would be to write a "backup and copy-to-NAND"-Script for each application.

greetings Ziz

Back