Open Source And Possiblity's?

schaap2005

Website
Visit site
Hi, I am a newbie but: is it possbile to use 3d engines from open source games like wolfenstein 3d and build totally new games with it?
I don't know something about programming but it's worth to post.
I want to have more 3d games. :p

I presume it must be.

I'm not 100% sure but surely with Doom working it might be possible to use other shareware wads ?

I remember years ago creating some simple Doom wads to use myself . Tons of these can be downloaded from the net and some are very good indeed.

Surely as the main Doom engine is working on the GP32 it could play different wads ?

I now that there are more games that run on quake 3 engine, so it must be possible (unfortunately i have'nt skills for it) make a new game with an old engine.

schaap2005 posted on Mar 18 2005 at 02:56 AM said:
I now that there are more games that run on quake 3 engine, so it must be possible (unfortunately i have'nt skills for it) make a new game with an old engine.

Yes, it's possible to make a new game on the same hardware with the same engine. However, porting the bloody thing to something like the GP32 is somewhat more involved.

Last edited by a moderator:
schaap2005 posted on Mar 16 2005 at 04:43 PM said:
Hi, I am a newbie but: is it possbile to use 3d engines from open source games like wolfenstein 3d and build totally new games with it?
I don't know something about programming but it's worth to post.
I want to have more 3d games. :p

Since Doom and Wolf use PC wads you can make your own with the PC Doom editors out there.

I've made lots of Doom wads.... Some with alternate graphics, even... I've got 3 books on the subject in fact... *Nod* And all the ones I've made and tried on the GP32 have worked.

Yeah, the iwad contains all the graphics sound aswell as levels, you can get lots of wad editors online, and if you can get hold of the GP32 source, you can edit how each weapon / monster behaves etc. too, so it'd be quite straightforward to make an entirely new game. If you can be bothered to make a bunch of levels, textures, sounds, music, and sprites that is.

I have a great idea :D
I am going to download counterstrike (source) levels and place them into doom :D
But first I have to buy a console :(
I can't choose between the Gizmondo (expensive) zodiac and the gamepark. someone can give me a good advice?
I will use it for
80% gaming (3d games and snes emu)
10% mp3
7,5% movies
2,5% :p ermm

schaap2005 posted on Mar 22 2005 at 09:51 AM said:
I have a great idea :D
I am going to download counterstrike (source) levels and place them into doom :D
But first I have to buy a console :(
I can't choose between the Gizmondo (expensive) zodiac and the gamepark. someone can give me a good advice?
I will use it for
80% gaming (3d games and snes emu)
10% mp3
7,5% movies
2,5% :p ermm

Not much is known about software support or any other support for that matter for the gizmondo (It`s pretty much a dead system afaik).

Zodiac is also a dieing system, Support for the system is being dropped afaik. Partly why it is being sold realy cheap atm. Correct me if i am wrong.

That leaves you with the GP32.

Conclusion,

Get a GP32, You know it makes sense. :D

Trooper

Hehe that's roght, but Gizmondo has 3d accerlation (goforce 4500). I like to play 3d games, but the Gamepark has no 3d accerlator, and his cpu is too slow to render nice grapichs.http://www.gizmondo.com/games/item.asp?start=a&end=e&id=4
It's almost like gta3!
And I am not smart enough to make my own 3d game. :D

schaap2005 posted on Mar 22 2005 at 01:52 PM said:
Hehe that's roght, but Gizmondo has 3d accerlation (goforce 4500). I like to play 3d games, but the Gamepark has no 3d accerlator, and his cpu is too slow to render nice grapichs.http://www.gizmondo.com/games/item.asp?start=a&end=e&id=4
It's almost like gta3!

In that case the PSP in your baby.

Trooper

trooper posted on Mar 22 2005 at 04:00 PM said:
It's almost like gta3!

Trooper

The psp doesn't has open-source possibilities and, and it has no o/s, that's not want I wan't. And I like to have something unique :p

schaap2005 posted on Mar 22 2005 at 05:08 PM said:
trooper posted on Mar 22 2005 at 04:00 PM said:
It's almost like gta3!

Trooper

The psp doesn't has open-source possibilities and, and it has no o/s, that's not want I wan't. And I like to have something unique :p

And the Gizmondo is open source ?.

Trooper

Back