Open rct 2

Probably worth a post in 'port requests'.  I dunno if it's possible to port this; depends if it just uses the rct2 install for graphics and sound assets, or if it uses (as suggested by the guy in the video) chunks of code, but either way it's probably worth asking.

Probably worth a post in 'port requests'.  I dunno if it's possible to port this; depends if it just uses the rct2 install for graphics and sound assets, or if it uses (as suggested by the guy in the video) chunks of code, but either way it's probably worth asking.
from what i read on the site it is using code that hasn't been converted over to C.

Ah, that doesn't sound promising.  Still, if you post to port requests, you'll probably find a dev who'll spend five minutes checking it out to see if it's possible.

However, looking at the build instructions in github it does suggest that to build on x86 linux, you still need wine to build it, so it's not yet got to the point where it's OS agnostic, let alone instruction set agnostic.  But that hasn't stopped certain developers porting older games.

At the same time, it might instead be better to keep an eye on this game and see if the development proceeds to rewrite the ASM (although at the moment they seem to have been focussing on features), to see if it might be more feasible to port it in a year or two.  Or even get involved and help the porting process, if you're able.

Hey, I was googling to see what the internet was saying about OpenRCT2 is saying and came across this, and I want to clear some things up:

Yes, the game still depends on the original assets, so you would have to have the end user get those themselves (pretty easy, and cheap - The game is $5 on Steam, and it doesn't matter where you get the game, CD or Digital);
We have been re-writing the ASM to C/C++ this entire time, in fact we are almost done that, iirc all that is left is Drawing Rides and some other odds and ends;
The game is OS Agnostic, using SDL2, and currently has ports to Mac OS X, Linux, iOS, and Android, though any device without an x86 processor is unable to render rides (and suffers in the framerate department, as we are still working on moving drawing off of the CPU onto the GPU);
The above is limited to the endianess of the device, due to quirks of the way the game was originally written - in due time this will no longer be an issue.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask, though I don't know if I will check this very often, feel free to pop your head in at https://gitter.im/OpenRCT2/OpenRCT2/non-dev - All of the developers hang out there. (There is a Developer chat as well as Non-dev, but the dev chat is for people actively working on the code, very serious "leave us alone" type chat.) - I will more than likely be there when you do.

Thanks for reading!

Back