Op: You Did Well!

Okay I took a look at the Wifi thread, and it seems there are still segments of this forum full of angst and emotion and stress.

A lot of the threads on this board aimed at non-owners; I just haven't been reading them. I'm out of the loop.

But as a happy (and oblivious) Pandora owner:

The whole team did really well pulling this thing off. Doing it with the budget, resources and limited manpower you had was amazing! I'm enjoying my Pandora like no other gadget I've ever owned, and I'm a serious handheld collector! I feel so attached to this thing, I really can't describe it. A bond between man and machine?

It doesn't matter than nothing is perfect yet, if anything it's only encouraged me to hack the thing and have massive amounts of fun. I should be annoyed that things aren't working smoothly yet but... for some reason it doesn't bother me! Even with a broken shoulder button and analogue stick, you still made an awesome, addicitve and fulfilling peice of tech. It just feels right.

So thank you.

I'm not one for arse licking, but I really think you guys deserve some credit. You did (and are doing) a great job, at least from my perspective. I'm not some kind of sycophant, I just think kudos is in order.

I totally agree. Something of this scale normally has a much larger team. With the resources OpenPandora had they have done amazingly well. I imagine they are all very proficient in their respective fields otherwise this project would have died a long time ago. I really do hope that the pandora becomes profitable to keep the team afloat.

Agreed. The project is incredible and I like people who try to do their best and never give up. This is your mentality and this is the reason I trust in this project and you.

It's just such a shame that for me: my journey of angst and worry is over, but for the Pandora team it's still ongoing.

Tough break. :(

SomeGuy99 said:
It's just such a shame that for me: my journey of angst and worry is over, but for the Pandora team it's still ongoing.

Heh, that's easy for you to say you've got your unit. The rest of us have to imagine that it's amazing enough to make it worthwhile. Well, I guess it's off to fashion me a Pandora from mud and sticks. To dream of the arrival of my very own to love and to see if it truly is possible to wear a nub down into an even smaller nub.

Last edited by a moderator:
Seems that one of these threads pops up every few days lately...

I'd like to chime in, but what holds me back is that I haven't received my Pandora yet. When I do, I'll also say to OP that they did well! But not until then. ;)

hedwards said:
SomeGuy99 said:

Heh, that's easy for you to say you've got your unit. The rest of us have to imagine that it's amazing enough to make it worthwhile. Well, I guess it's off to fashion me a Pandora from mud and sticks. To dream of the arrival of my very own to love and to see if it truly is possible to wear a nub down into an even smaller nub.

Yeah, it is easy for me to say, I realise that. But from this side of the fence everything is peaceful and you get a little perspective on the entire thing.

Hope you get yours soon B)

Esn said:
Seems that one of these threads pops up every few days lately...

I'd like to chime in, but what holds me back is that I haven't received my Pandora yet. When I do, I'll also say to OP that they did well! But not until then. ;)

That was my attitude too. I never thought I'd make a thread like this, but I'm really chuffed with everything OP have done now that I stop and think about everything that was involved.

Pandora Angst blinds you from reality I think.

Well, all I hope is that I will survive a bit longer... at least until everyone has his Pandora.

Don't knock someguy99. He is as one with his pandora. he's gone all zen and i'm writing this because im jellous as H. E. double hockey sticks.

Yep.Ive not been this excited about a machine since my dreamcast.
If ups is on time i will have mine tomorrow.I think someone should send evildragon a bottle of wine or something.
Hes always on the forum helping out.Does he sleep?Well Fu......kin Done O.P

wrath of khan said:
Hes always on the forum helping out.Does he sleep?

RO-BOTS DON'T NEED SLEEP. SO NO REASON FOR ME TO GO SLEEPING.

Last edited:
SomeGuy99 said:
Yeah, it is easy for me to say, I realise that. But from this side of the fence everything is peaceful and you get a little perspective on the entire thing.

Hope you get yours soon B)
Heh, no worries, I can always ogle somebody else's until mine comes. Plus by the time I get mine most of the software bugs will hopefully be rectified and there'll be a larger selection of stuffs to install.

I want to say well done, too, and thankyou so much for making a device which I can honestly say has made my life better, because it is SO GOOD at what it does - the Pandora is what I've always wanted, ever since I was a little kid. Moreover, that device caused me to stop lurking here and actually start taking part, which I find to be a lot of fun in and of itself - I'm grateful for that, too. :p

Similar to what SomeGuy said, it's been far too many years (or decades, even) since I felt this attached to a computer or handheld device of any sort - I really can't imagine my life without it, now. It's a very enabling device, to use a corny term for it - I can finally get a lot of things done that I didn't think I'd have the time for again.

You did great, and you have my full support.

Alerino said:
Someguy: i am going to your place and steal your pandora in your sleep.

Maybe I sleep with it tucked into my boxers?

+1 To everything Prometheus just said.

The Pandora is most certainly awesome and addictive, and that's not hyperbole or geek BS. Right now I need to send it back to get the shoulder buttons and analogue stick fixed (well, they'll send me a replacement, but they'll fix it for someone else I guess). The thing is, I don't want to - I'd rather have my half-broken machine and keep using it than send it off somewhere and be Pandoraless for days, or a week. It's like when your mum would take you to buy a new pair of trainers, but you obsessively want to keep the old ones... even though they're falling apart at the seams.

My Pandora feels like my machine. It feels very personally mine. I can't explain it!

And yeah, one minute i'm using Chrome or doing some shell hacking in the terminal and the next I'm getting my arse kicked in Parodius (mame version). All with the same controls... and it works! The Pandora is a talented mutant.

Ed pushes himself too hard, and you guys are way too tough on him. Hundreds of people versus one man? That's not a fair fight, come on. ;)

EvilDragon said:
Well, all I hope is that I will survive a bit longer... at least until everyone has his Pandora.

Man,

Your quotes lately are really starting to worry me...Not to sound weird, as I don't know you personally, but do you feel ok? I can't tell if it is playful, self-deprecating humor or if you are really headed for health issues/nervous breakdown. I have to say, I feel a bit concerned...please take care of yourself...

authoreyes said:
EvilDragon said:

Man,

Your quotes lately are really starting to worry me...Not to sound weird, as I don't know you personally, but do you feel ok? I can't tell if it is playful, self-deprecating humor or if you are really headed for health issues/nervous breakdown. I have to say, I feel a bit concerned...please take care of yourself...

+1

It's easy to forget that human beings are on both sides of the screen sometimes.

Agreed Someguy...

I actually had cancer 6 years ago. I was working at a dot com, stressed out of my mind, 80 hour weeks, couldn't sleep....I knew something bad was going to happen...long story short, I really worry when I see people working themselves to death...The bodies defenses shut down after a certain point...

authoreyes said:
Agreed Someguy...

I actually had cancer 6 years ago. I was working at a dot com, stressed out of my mind, 80 hour weeks, couldn't sleep....I knew something bad was going to happen...long story short, I really worry when I see people working themselves to death...The bodies defenses shut down after a certain point...

Ed has that sort of personality anyway, as he has admitted himself, but this is just too much for one guy to do. Heap ontop of that the inhumane levels of pressure and criticism levelled from this community... and well, I think we should all be more concerned.

Once everyone else has their Pandora it should all turn around, I think he knows that (which is why he's pushing extra hard at the moment). I would urge anyone still waiting to please try and relax! It will work out! You'll be happy once you settle in with your machine.

Sorry to hear about your cancer. Did it work out okay then?

@ Prometheus and Someguy99:

I have to agree with both of you, I have lurked many forums for years and never had the want or need to post, ever. This is the only thing that I have found that has inspired me to do so.
Thank you for starting this thread, +1 to all of it.

hedwards said:
Plus by the time I get mine most of the software bugs will hopefully be rectified and there'll be a larger selection of stuffs to install.
And that, ladies and gentlemen, is why Pandora Angst of the when-will-I-get-mine variety is completely pointless (well, unless you really do need yours in a specific timeframe). Pestering the devs about how fast they work isn't going to help production and even if you need to wait another two months that just means you get more hotfixes, more software that is better optimized, more clever little hacks, more hardware issues corrected, more everything. The later you get your Pandora, the better it gets.

Plus it not like we can't find other ways to waste our time.

Also, remember the dev fund? There should be a second fund to buy ED a nice weekend far away from the internet. The expensive part of that endeavor is to bribe everyone into shutting up for two days so he isn't greeted by three hundred pots clamoring for him when he gets back. (Just closing the Pandora board would get people to shut up here but then we'd probably just go over to the Wiz board and complain about not being able to erode the team's sanity for two whole days.)

Back