OP at Replay2011 video

The dream still lives on.

It's not easy to tell from the video; what were the reactions of the general retro-loving Tom, Dick and Harry to the Pandora? Particularly those who'd never heard of it before.

I imagine it was something along the lines of: "Amagad that's the best thing ever!"

Followed by: "You said how much!?"

Pretty much perfect, most of them clutching this weeks £500 phone.

Ahh. The fallacy of the subsidy. Most of them locked into contracts which ensure they'll pay something to the tune of £840 for the phone, not including the up-front fee of ~100+ they had to pay. Yet still convinced they haven't just bought a £500 phone.

Anyway, I'll stop derailing the topic now.

The video could have used some volume normalization :) I was turning my speakers up and down like a yo-yo trying to hear the quiet parts.

Great video, and very entertaining! Thanks Craig! ^_^ (+1 on the speaker-yo-yo though :p )

I also noticed that all Pandora-related sites were down yesterday, I take that as a good sign? (Thousands of people (and one Zombie) trying to get info on and order a Pandora?)

Last edited by a moderator:
Really nice video! Now I am jealous, that I wasn't there.

We definitely need something like replay in germany.

And we should do a pandorameetup in Ingolstadt sometime soon :)

The dream still lives on.

It's not easy to tell from the video; what were the reactions of the general retro-loving Tom, Dick and Harry to the Pandora? Particularly those who'd never heard of it before.

I imagine it was something along the lines of: "Amagad that's the best thing ever!"

Followed by: "You said how much!?"

I chatted to plenty of interested people at the Pandora table, some of them had heard of the Pandora but nobody seemed to know a lot about it. Pretty much universally people were taken aback at the cost of the device. But most seemed to understand it was not overpriced when the realities of small production runs (compared to your average consumer electronic firm), the cost of design and the fact it will be manufactured in Germany rather than the far east were taken into account.

Todays surprising observation: Mr Loon really looks like his avatar :D

Mr Loon is a pinball badass. Confirmed.

I was pretty happy to finish the Mutant "Hero" (Ninja) turtles arcade twice. And I spent a good hour trying to get past level two of ghosts and goblins.

Sorry for being a bit off-topic, but this may be of interest to some people:

I have just received my Pandora! :D

Timeline:

09-FEB-2010 Paid for my original order (UK, my contact was Jacquelyn)

04-JUL-2011 Paid for the upgrade to premium

30-SEP-2011 Was offered a model with WiFi dongle for immediate shipping, but I preferred to wait

26-OCT-2011 E-Mail: "Your order is being dispatched tomorrow"

03-NOV-2011 Arrived!! (model with internal WiFi working)

Everything works great! Good packaging, beautiful carrying bag, even a nice instruction booklet and an adapter for the plugs in my country. Well worth the two months wait!

Don't worry for a second if your Pandora still comes from CircuitCo. Quality tests seem to guarantee that there are no problems.

This is one awesome little machine! The attention given to details in the hardware design is impressive and the software side already looks good considering that not that many units have been shipped.

Not a computer for the masses, but I am sure there are plenty of people out there that will love the Pandora and have many uses for it. Aside from being a gaming platform it is a complete Linux computer with a unique form and size factor.

The only thing I would wish for in a next generation model (yes, I know) is a larger screen (aging eyes here) while preserving the size of the case. Will be a real engineering challenge, but if the screen had no or only a minimal bezel that would be terrific. But I am fully aware that this is a topic for the far future and the Pandora's current screen is fantastic and immensely usable the way it is today.

Thanks for the video. :) wish I could have been there.
What else to add to that... whenever I see this I wish I had more money to actually do a trip like that.

PS. ED your Coat is cool, I got one that looks just like that.

Thanks for the vid Craig, I so wanted to go, but financial constraints at this time of year etc, bummer!

Todays surprising observation: Mr Loon really looks like his avatar :D
Damn, somebody noticed. Though being a big fan of Professor Yaffle I'll take that as a compliment, I think :lol:
I was going to say that. :p

Craig, Thanks for the video. It brought back fond memories of...yesterday. ((edit: delayed my post so it's the day before yesterday now))

I really enjoyed Replay but total drew a blank for Pandora related gossip. I checked back at the Pandora table and found pmprog guarding the precious five.

Entered the same Super Mario cart as pmprog but did not fair quite so well (damn turtles littering the course), although Nick (May) did manage to meet him in the second round and failed dismally.

Got myself settled in in the hall with food ordered (which took ages) only to later realise it was the wrong hall and totally missed ED presentation.

@Ian J - you no longer seem to be a lurker. Welcome!

Back