Onscreen Keyboard For Filenames? (castaway)

skeezix

Internal Development
Website
www.codejedi.com
While debating my approach to adding better savestate file management, it occured to me perhaps a better angle would help.

ie: The current thought was just to use the same system I do now (8 or 10 savestate slots), but have them on a per-launch-disk basis (so you'd have 8 or 10 per disk, rather than 8 or 10 total)

The thought that came to mind was to scrap that idea and just provide an onscreen keyboard with cursor (like the runtime one) so you could enter a filename. Then you'd manage the files yourself.

Say, fire up Time Bandits as GAU_056.ST, and then dump a save state out as "bandit1", and then later another as bandit2.

What do you think of that? Better or worse?

jeff

Edit: WTF were my fingers doing while entering the subject line originally?

skeezix posted on Mar 4 2005 at 08:00 AM said:
While debating my approach to adding better savestate file management, it occured to me perhaps a better angle would help.

ie: The current thought was just to use the same system I do now (8 or 10 savestate slots), but have them on a per-launch-disk basis (so you'd have 8 or 10 per disk, rather than 8 or 10 total)

The thought that came to mind was to scrap that idea and just provide an onscreen keyboard with cursor (like the runtime one) so you could enter a filename. Then you'd manage the files yourself.

Say, fire up Time Bandits as GAU_056.ST, and then dump a save state out as "bandit1", and then later another as bandit2.

What do you think of that? Better or worse?

jeff

Edit: WTF were my fingers doing while entering the subject line originally?

I think being able to create your own filenames is vastly superior. As long as it defaults to something like 'save1' or whatever so you're not forced to enter something (if you're in a hurry). This could really add value to an already awesome emulator.
Good on you Skeezix for continuing to develop CaSTaway!

Last edited by a moderator:
I think its a good idea, but it would less effort for lazy buggers like myself if it offered a helpful default like "bandit" as you suggest and if I wanted to name it something differently I could just ammend it accordingly...

Back