On and on it goes. Still going strong (2011-11-09)

EvilDragon

Administrator
Staff member
I was very busy preparing for the Replay Expo last week, therefore I didn't find the time to post updates.

Of course, that doesn't mean nothing has happened - so here's a quick summary of the current situation.

1. The ReplayExpo - a very quick impression

Well, there are already a lot of posts about the ReplayExpo in Blackpool, so there's no real need for a in-depth-post about it.

The ReplayExpo was great. We don't have such a big retro-scene in Germany, so this was totally overwhelming for me. So many cool arcade machines, pinball machines and classic computers.

Awesome!

While the Pandora is no classic system, most visitors were amazed by it.

Our table was crowded most of the time, all five Pandoras I had with me were being played on most of the time.

Most thought the price was decent, which is a good sign.

It was also awesome meeting some community members. And a VERY welcomed change from the daily organization work.

Thanks again to pmprog and sbt for the airport ride.

I'm pretty sure I'll be back next year :)

2. No break, everything going according to plan (that's something new, eh?)

Signed contracts are arriving daily (yeah, we need to send them back and forth using snail mail :) ), and each day more investments arrive on my bank account.

This actually made it possible to pay and order some parts already, which is great, as we need them for the prototype run.

The documents for the customs that are needed to move some of the parts from CC to Germany are also finished, so the pickup will hopefully also happen within this week.

I already got the WiFi modules and nubs for the prototype run, so we're pretty much set with the parts.

The bare PCBs have also entered production state. The company had 14 questions to Michael Weston which he all replied to.

The prototype run is still planned to happen in November, we're perfectly following our timeframe right now.

3. TV Out Cables

I promised that one of the first things I will order as soon as the investments are there are the TV Out cables.

I instantly requested an updated quotation (copper price changed within the last months), and as soon as I get it, the order will be signed and the cables will go into production.

4. The Website

Delicator volunteered to update the website quite a bit.

Here's what we've planned:

* Upgrade to latest Joomla Version (from 1.5 to 1.7)

* You can use your forum login on the site as well, which will enable you to do the following:

- Upload your own Pandora pictures into the user gallery (which will be public)

- Put your own videos (YouTube links) onto the user video gallery

- Post reviews

* Include a shop into the website (incl. Credit Card payment, etc.)

* Optimize the website (SEO, content, etc.)

When new users find out about the Pandora, they should find a plain and clean website that offers a wide variety of user commited content (videos, reviews and pictures) as well as links to the most important sites (repo, boards, wiki, etc.).

5. Some other things

Annette, a new employee I've got, will help me two hours a day with packaging and shipping, tax stuff and after a little while also with eMails.

This will help me catch up with all the mails and repairs I have to do, so things should get better soon (hopefully :) )

We're also working on improving the cases a bit to prevent the most popular cracks from happening in the future.

That's it for now :)

Let me know if you have further questions :)

Just one question, ED: How long will the TV-out cables take once they go into production? :D

Sounds great, hopefully everything continues to move along smoothly. More people need to get their hands on this awesome device! The entire OP team has done excellent work.

Thanks ED.

I was almost expecting you to say Two Months, though! :lol:

And we've started working on Hotfix 7 already :) Minimenu is coming up nearly instantly now .. no more of those longer app scans when you have hundreds of pnds installed!

jeff

We're also working on improving the cases a bit to prevent the most popular cracks from happening in the future.
All great news ED & Skeezix. But the above I feel is most important for the future of every Pandora to be produced. Props for taking this on!

Last edited by a moderator:
i am very happy for the success.

The best is yet to come.

Cheers!!

Just one question, ED: How long will the TV-out cables take once they go into production? :D

Should be one month, but they're coming from China, so it might be 1,5 months as well ;)

Were the TV out cables on separate order? When I bought this Pandora used from someone on the boards he mentioned he thinks there is a tv out cable on the way. Just wondering if you can check for me if it actually will be. Bought it from Scippie on the forums.

While in the process of updating the Pandora website, it might be a good idea to put a link somewhere very visible that goes to the Pandora Stalker(assuming whoever maintains it doesn't mind). I think it would be a valuable tool to help new people keep up to date and maybe get to know a little more about some of the fine people who are responsible for making the Pandora happen. It is quite handy if you don't have a lot of time and you want to check up on Pandora & iCP stuff. :)

Does having a new employee mean emails sent to

openpandorasales@gmail.com will be replied to? I emailed on October 26 but have heard nothing...

openpandorasales@gmail.com will be replied to? I emailed on October 26 but have heard nothing...

No, that is Craigs company, I don't have access to these mails.

Should be one month, but they're coming from China, so it might be 1,5 months as well ;)
Sounds a little bit long for...uh... how many cables? ^^ I guess they are more complicated to build than a "normal" cable?

I hope the Chinese Company has not forgotten the TV Cable project, it's been a while. ;)

But overall, it really sounds great! :) After all the mess in the past suddenly it even feels a little bit strange when everything goes like planed. ^^

Sounds a little bit long for...uh... how many cables? ^^ I guess they are more complicated to build than a "normal" cable?

I hope the Chinese Company has not forgotten the TV Cable project, it's been a while. ;)

That's a totally normal lead time for ANY cable when you want to produce them.

They are not on stock, they need to be PRODUCED specifically for us ;)

No, that is Craigs company, I don't have access to these mails.

Aah, do you know what's happening with orders placed through that company? I ordered (and paid in full) my Pandora from there on the 6th August 2009 and have heard nothing since July 2010. They're now not responding to emails...

Of course. They will get their units from me once the production runs as well.

Your unit is safe, no problem.

Of course. They will get their units from me once the production runs as well.

Your unit is safe, no problem.

Is there any way the order could be migrated to you and me upgrade (pay the difference) to get a premium/expedited unit? I'm kinda keen to get my hands on one :)

As I won't have any units before the PCBs from Germany are finished, there's no way to go Premium right now.

However, once the units from Germany are being produced, Premium is possible again.

Each 2 - 3 Premium upgrade add one more standard preorder to be shipped earlier, which is great for everyone. :)

That's a totally normal lead time for ANY cable when you want to produce them.

They are not on stock, they need to be PRODUCED specifically for us ;)
Apropos cables... Would you consider stocking a few USB cables with the mini-A plug required to connect devices to the OTG port? I only found one supplier (Lindy), and even there I'd need cable + adapter (OTG mini-A to B plus USB A female to B female).

Back