ODROID-X and a possibility for handheld harvesting

Exophase

Nothing good will ever come of Exophase.
Hardkernel recently announced ODROID-X, a quadcore Exynos 4412 dev board:

http://www.hardkernel.com/renewal_2011/products/prdt_info.php?g_code=G133999328931

As far as dev boards go this is just a little cheaper than the usual like Beagleboard, Pandaboard, and iMX53QSB. But what makes this a little more interesting is that it uses a separate small module for the CPU, RAM (2GB), PMIC, and USB controller. Hardkernel has always done these modules, but historically they've been a lot more expensive (around $200 at least). They haven't announced a sale price for the module independently, but $130 is the worst case; it could be substantially cheaper, perhaps around $100.

This would still be less efficient than making them yourself, but it has the advantage of being able to more reliably source the parts, and leverage their manufacturing for expensive PoP assembly. The costs for the rest of a gaming handheld PCB wouldn't be too bad since it could probably be done on a lower layer/complexity board with not that many expensive components.

Hmmm, it says Android ICS, but has no internal memory. Assuming they'd give you an image to put on an SD card or something?

What would it need to put a different OS on?

how flexible would this be for building a handheld.any idea in theory how much cheaper it would make producing a handheld?

Come on, two of these people were playing on keyboards, which, in case you hadn't noticed, don't have analogue controls. There were a lot of other comments about their ability to play on the vid, that sort of thing saddens me

So?

I'm not saying it's impossible - I play a lot of things on a keyboard; but if you're not used to it you're going to be worse... I remember the first time I played HalfLife. It was the first time I used mouse aiming in an FPS; all I did was turn in circles whilst my friend shot me to pieces.

Alternatively, he might just be bad at MK64, and so what if he is? The gamer community is so full of negativity and elitism :(

Umm.... is that a bad thing?

I mean ragging on my friends for ability to play video games is something ive done for over 20 years

I find it mandatory to rag on anyone for their game playing ability, regardless of skill.

Sent from my MB612 using Tapatalk 2

Back