Not Shutting Down Properly

What Hotfix level are you on, and how are your SD Cards formatted?

I ask this as I used to encounter exactly this on Hotfix 3 and Hotfix 4 after running an application from a card that was formatted as ext2. I wonder if the issue is still around?

Prometheus said:
What Hotfix level are you on, and how are your SD Cards formatted?

I ask this as I used to encounter exactly this on Hotfix 3 and Hotfix 4 after running an application from a card that was formatted as ext2. I wonder if the issue is still around?

My pandora crashed this morning while installing some stuff via opkg, and I then got errors about failed login attempts. I had to reflash my Pandora. It was, and is now, flashed to Hotfix 5.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm afraid I don't know what to suggest and will have to defer to the more knowledgeable folks around here.

It would be good to know what format your SD Cards are in, though, and/or if the problem is still persisting in spite of reflashing. :p

Prometheus said:
I'm afraid I don't know what to suggest and will have to defer to the more knowledgeable folks around here.

It would be good to know what format your SD Cards are in, though, and/or if the problem is still persisting in spite of reflashing. :p

It's a Sandisk Extreme 8GB card, formatted to FAT32.

The problem persists after reflashing to HF5.

Hmm, what opkg stuff? Were you installing it to NAND? (Shouldn't matter after a reflash, just curious.)

My Pandora did this once on HF5, but not again. For the record, I haven't used opkg on the NAND, and my cards are FAT32.

Curious. I was honestly expecting you to say that the card was ext2 or ext3!

Just a quick thought: Assuming you have access to a machine running Microsoft Windows, have you tried backing up the card's contents and reformatting the card using the Panasonic Formatter (available in the tweaks thread)? It sounds so much like what I encountered with having the cards formatted to ext2, I figure it might be worth a shot.

My cards are FAT32 also, and I never encountered the problem again after reformatting them to that. I used Xubuntu for the reformatting, though, since the Panasonic Formatter is Microsoft Windows-only.

Gruso said:
Hmm, what opkg stuff? Were you installing it to NAND? (Shouldn't matter after a reflash, just curious.)

My Pandora did this once on HF5, but not again. For the record, I haven't used opkg on the NAND, and my cards are FAT32.

I was trying this

Code:
opkg install task-native-sdk

I wanted to compile apps natively on the Pandora. It was taking HOURS to download the packages. It seemed like it was going okay. I left for a second because I needed to let a visiting friend into my building. The screen had been black because it was sleeping, but when I tried moving the d-pad when I got back, it wouldn't wake the screen again. Seemed like it crashed, and hard resetting wouldn't work, so I pulled out the battery. When it turned on again, it wouldn't log me in. It kept complaining about a login script failing or something.

Prometheus said:
Curious. I was honestly expecting you to say that the card was ext2 or ext3!

Just a quick thought: Assuming you have access to a machine running Microsoft Windows, have you tried backing up the card's contents and reformatting the card using the Panasonic Formatter (available in the tweaks thread)? It sounds so much like what I encountered with having the cards formatted to ext2, I figure it might be worth a shot.

My cards are FAT32 also, and I never encountered the problem again after reformatting them to that. I used Xubuntu for the reformatting, though, since the Panasonic Formatter is Microsoft Windows-only.

I might give that a shot. None of my computers are windows right now lol...my Dell is running OS X Snow Leopard, and my Desktop WAS running Snow Leopard, until it somehow conked out on me. It has Windows 7 on it, but I need to fix the MBR. Either way, that should work in Parallels.

I just ran the Panasonic Formatter on a friend's computer. Running xbench on Snow Leopard...getting pretty slow uncached read and write speeds (8MB write, 13 MB read)...I mean, it's a Sandisk Extreme. These are benched as working pretty fast...it's probably just my laptop's reader.

You know the drill with me, about this stuff. :p Where'd you get the card from? (I'm assuming it's known-genuine, but it's always a good idea to cover all bases.)

Prometheus said:
You know the drill with me, about this stuff. :p Where'd you get the card from? (I'm assuming it's known-genuine, but it's always a good idea to cover all bases.)

Best Buy, so I assume it must be genuine...I know Best Buy sucks, but it can't suck THAT badly. (I don't know if you're from North America...I think the UK has Best Buy now, but it's THE major brick and mortar electronics retailer)

I think I should note that the only reason I bought it there was because it was on a clearance sale, so I managed to get it dirt cheap.

I bought a 32GB Transcend SDHC card today...I bought it from Amazon (Amazon itself, not a 3rd party storefront on Amazon), so hopefully I'm all set there as well.

Some of your symptoms remind me of my Seq24 saga. Some of it word for word:

Gruso said:
opkg update is behaving strangely. Last night it took hours (literally, hours) to complete, then threw out some strange errors.
See posts 20,22,24: http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/56248-compiling-seq24-midi-sequencer-on-the-pandora/

I was suffering a variety of issues including slow wifi, filling up the NAND, general bad luck. Reflashing solved my problems, running OS from SD prevented them returning.

You didn't mention whether you were running from SD or NAND (I'm presuming NAND). I strongly advise against using opkg when running from NAND. There is now an awesome PND available for setting up a boot SD, so no excuses! ;)

The bonus advantage of doing your devving from SD, is that you always have a stock firmware image on the NAND to test your PNDs (if they work there, they'll work for everyone else too.)

quadomatic said:
Prometheus said:

Best Buy, so I assume it must be genuine...I know Best Buy sucks, but it can't suck THAT badly. (I don't know if you're from North America...I think the UK has Best Buy now, but it's THE major brick and mortar electronics retailer)
I'm British, and to my knowledge we don't have Best Buy yet (I mean, I've seen it stated online that we do, but from what I've seen we actually don't). Their reputation is well-known even to me, though. :lol:

(Amazon itself, not a 3rd party storefront on Amazon)
Big thumbs up from me on this. :p

Anyway, it looks like Gruso might have you covered here, so I'll bow out, as I don't know what else to suggest on the matter.

I'm not sure which, but either reflashing or reformatting my SD card with the Panasonic formatter program may have fixed my issue...I think it's the panasonic formatter though.

Gruso: I'm waiting for Stuckie to release a new version of Debian. I think may just switch over to that.

Back