Nonexistent Developer Community

barzoule

Still Fresh
you might have seen this:
http://i.gizmodo.com/5181771/near+final-pa...aying-something
or maybe not.

It's kinda nice to have Gizmodo talking about the Pandora. However it concludes the article with:
"It's good to see the little guy make it this far, but at the moment it's not doing anything that other Linux MIDs can't handle.
The really hard part for the project will be coaxing some games out of an as-of-yet nonexistent developer community. "

from what i see right here, this couldn't be more untrue!

Last edited by a moderator:
'barzoule' said:
It's kinda nice to have Gizmodo talking about the Pandora. However it concludes the article with:
"It's good to see the little guy make it this far, but at the moment it's not doing anything that other Linux MIDs can't handle.
The really hard part for the project will be coaxing some games out of an as-of-yet nonexistent developer community. "

from what i see right here, this couldn't be more untrue!

The Pandora does things that MIDs only have wet dreams about. Like play games and have a good design with a full QWERTY keyboard. [Not that grid of keys BS]

Also, I'm technically a developer.
I just, uh... Lack experience.

They just want attention (= advertisment revenue). Ignore their lies and move on.

'barzoule' said:
If we speaking about bigger dev studios, then i say "yes, gizmondo said truth". We dont have any official dev studio behind pandora. Also we dont have any project of excellent exclusive games ahead. Its truth aswell, but gizmondo forgets about one thing - the primary target for Pandora. We're not 18yo emo kidz with "playing games mode" in our brainz, like nDS or PSP owners. Thats why bigger dev studios will never invest in OpenPandora [ smaller devs is another story ]. If they want to compare Pandora to PSP scene they should really change their jobs to gathering carrots in china.

^^ Gizmodo.

I'd call us guys developing TINCS professional, I think almost all of us make money off our skill (coding,art, etc). We're not novices.

The really hard part for the project will be coaxing some games out of an as-of-yet nonexistent developer community.

now that is a smart thing to say about a device actually created by a developer community, albeit a small one. then again, it is gizmodo, and they have a "reputation" to uphold there, so..

'StreaK' said:
'barzoule' said:
If we speaking about bigger dev studios, then i say "yes, gizmondo said truth". We dont have any official dev studio behind pandora. Also we dont have any project of excellent exclusive games ahead. Its truth aswell, but gizmondo forgets about one thing - the primary target for Pandora. We're not 18yo emo kidz with "playing games mode" in our brainz, like nDS or PSP owners. Thats why bigger dev studios will never invest in OpenPandora [ smaller devs is another story ]. If they want to compare Pandora to PSP scene they should really change their jobs to gathering carrots in china.

IMHO TINCS, Galactic Artefact and Pandora Panic will all be excellent. And thats just the start :)

I hope that all games you said will be huge no.1, very playable and also exclusive, but remember that the form of those games couldnt be compared to bigger games from PSP like SyphonFilter or Tekken. I mean the pandora games will always suffer when compared to other handhelds like PSP. My point was that we cannot compare games / releases on pandora to games from PSone or Sega Saturn because we're in 2009 not 1995, and thats why i said " we dont have any project of excellent exclusive games ahead." If pandora devs will reach the level of Sega Dreamcast games then we all could say "Pandora, welcome in the 2009".

Well, I've waited overnight and it looks like they're not going to approve my comment. :lol: Another thing that sucks about Gizmodo. At least Engadget lets the discussion run free.

Are they not thinking right?The pandora does much more than linux MID's!We do have a good developing community but, they are right on one thing, we don't have any "God Like" releases planned but I think the games in development will improve to very nice, high quality games.Take TINCS for instance, right now the coders are just trying to get it the backend to run properly (server, client, shaders etc.) but, once we (not really me, as I'm a modeler/artist, but the coders) work on it and get it playing nicely I think we could improve on some game elements such as graphics and gameplay.I think Tincs could end up looking better than syphon filter and with much better gameplay and functionality.Just my two cents...

Well, it sure sucks to be told you don't exist guys....

I guess they didnt notice the gaming controls, touchscreen, portability, or 10 hour battery life? Or that it won't have a half-arsed UI that sucks :D... to name just a few of the reasons it beats netbooks...

Also, I am hoping it will have a very simple way to install a lot of completely free software ports (like the iphone appstore), and a way of syncing... PIM is something to think about..and I may attempt to address these issues myself if they don't get resolved (and I can find time)!

Honestly though, I think they will have to see it finished before they will really get what is so great about it and what we can all see in it....

'Butterman' said:
^^ Gizmodo.

I'd call us guys developing TINCS professional, I think almost all of us make money off our skill (coding,art, etc). We're not novices.
that's why I think it's gonna get pretty cool to play in the pandora :)
btw, just applied for the brazilian portuguese translation :p

I'm here because I want something more mobile than my laptop. Pandora has a really nice design, so the screen won't get scratched.

Also I could use a better alarm clock. I'll probably make something that reads my calendar, finds the first event of the day, subtracts and hour and wakes me up.

:ph34r:

Gizmodo are a bunch of fucking dumbasses- i've always been an engadget reader (as far as gizmodo vs engadget goes, i read quite a few other gadget blogs, even if engadgets syndicate has the worst fucking vg blogs ever), but even so I LOVE criticism of any sort, but gizmodo is just fucking stupid. They just hate the pandora because they need a different angle than engadget. I would address their points, but they don't have a point, other than being douchebags. WHERE R THE DEVELOPERS? oh i dont know, we only have 3 playable demos of stellar games, 4 or 5 tech demos, and many more works in progress with a large percentage of the phenomenal gp2x dev scene behind us, and many authors of popular open source projects not just saying they might look into it but actually stating officially that they would do a port.

I think it is particularly interesting that indie and homebrew developer community here is at least as active as those for the DS and PSP, and the Pandora isn't even out yet. Some of it probably has to do with the fact that the Pandora offers a much more powerful platform, but I suspect a decent amount of the interest comes from the fact that the Pandora is actually developer-friendly. Compare that to the DS or PSP where the manufacturer goes out of their way to make it difficult (impossible, if they could) for anybody who doesn't pay to play.

On the one hand it's probably fun to get something working on a platform that you're "not allowed" to be working on. On the other hand, it must be a bit frustrating to work to add functionality and value to a system, only to have that system's manufacture shit all over your efforts and treat you like a criminal.

I wouldn't have been nearly as excited about the Pandora as I am if there hadn't been so many programmers excited about it from the very beginning. I never expected there to be as many first rate titles available at launch as we're going to have. Though to be fair, the six months worth of setbacks might have something to do with that. :D

'Chip' said:
I never expected there to be as many first rate titles available at launch as we're going to have. Though to be fair, the six months worth of setbacks might have something to do with that. :D
True, but you shouldn't feed the conspiracy theorists that think it is the real reason or the delay... or is it :p

(kidding)

Back