No Man's Sky (shh.. the new Elite?)

Garrett

Advanced Member
I know, I know.. but at least it got your attention.. & who knows stranger things have happened

https://www.youtube.com/embed/RRpDn5qPp3s?feature=oembed

Dev Interview

Talk about lofty ambitions.. & from a four person studio whose previous output is Joe Danger 1 & 2.. for me the opportunity to be a virtual tourist in Chris Foss inspired vista's would be enough on it's own.

I wish the team all the best & will be keeping a very close eye on this one, what do you guys make of it..?

Last edited by a moderator:
Will have to keep tabs on this one.

Reminds me that I need to check in on the new Elite I backed on KS .

I backed Elite: Dangerous; and to be honest, by the time I think they've made the game I'll be a) no longer interested, and B) not have any time to play it. I sort of regret backing it now. Call it a learning experience

Talk about lofty ambitions.. & from a four person studio whose previous output is Joe Danger 1 & 2
Generate sufficient amounts of content automatically and size of the dev team is not an issue, but the old problems remain: even if you can model nature automatically fairly easily (i.e. let trees grow from a random seed etc.) and thus add volume to the size of the play area infinitely, where do you get the playable content like missions?

And also, modeling creatures and constructs created by intelligent creatures is not even a consideration yet these days. There was a tropical area and a desert area there, populating those algorithmically enough is not yet feasible. If it was, if the program could create something of it's own accord, it would be a fascinating universe to explore.

So with that in mind the dev team is a bit small for creating much more than a slightly more complicated version of Elite.

Which is not a bad thing, Elite is still an OK game.

But you'd expect something more these days and that would take a lof people.

Sorry, didn't even check the links or read the interview yet, just watched the video. This was just my initial thought. The video looked nice. Then again, these days, what doesn't...

It looks awesome.  Weird combination of peaceful science, discovering new species, and space combat shooing the bejeezus out of other space craft for no apparent reason!

An interesting "small planets" thing going on in that game, he lifts off from the planet and is in space almost immediately.  Unrealistic, but might be a nice feel for a game.

Gives me the feeling likes its some hybrid of "big buck hunter" (but peaceful), Spore, and Elite.

As for Joe Danger 2, I reckon it's quite an impressive game for what it is.

I backed Elite: Dangerous; and to be honest, by the time I think they've made the game I'll be a) no longer interested, and B) not have any time to play it. I sort of regret backing it now. Call it a learning experience
The new Elite itself is playing pretty good.  They don't have any planet-side stuff yet, but plan to add it later.

Planet side stuff should not be "an addition", it should be the core experience of a new Elite game... 
Why would planetside be the core experience?  The core experience is space combat and trading, as in the original Elite game.

If they are successful with the first release (and it looks like they will be), then they intend to enable landing on planets with awesome procedural generated stuff later.  It's not simple to do that!

I personally had much more fun with Elite 2: Frontier than the first Elite, and the planets were one big reason for that. It gave you a huge sense of scale instead of a void space... 
Sounds good, I didn't really play that game just tried it once.

Anyway like I said, they fully intend to add this feature, but it's a large amount of work to do a good job of it, and it's not intended for the initial release.

but it's a large amount of work to do a good job of it, and it's not intended for the initial release.
Yeah, I understand, and that's why I am worried it will be just an kind of "add-on" instead of being a full feature of the game :)

It's OK I guess, I just had high hopes they were doing a Elite II kind of game instead of Elite I :)  

but it's a large amount of work to do a good job of it, and it's not intended for the initial release.
 Yeah, I understand, and that's why I am worried it will be just an kind of "add-on" instead of being a full feature of the game :)

It's OK I guess, I just had high hopes they were doing a Elite II kind of game instead of Elite I :)
Speaking as someone who invested an enormous amount of time in both games (all three if you include First Encounters) at launch, I can assure you that Elite was far superior to Frontier. The curious thing about Elite is that you needed the manual in the original distribution to get the most out of it... Which is something I've yet to see happen in any game subsequently.

D.

If this game No Man's Sky has mining and crafting i.e. subsumes minecraft as well as Elite and Spore,

it is going to absolutely take the world by storm.  It could be the game to end all other games!

Just imagine spore+elite+minecraft in an infinite procedurally generated universe, it's insane.

They will bring it to PC, or I'll know the reason why!

Maybe not right from the start, that's ok I have >1000 other games I can play!

I would possibly buy a PS4 for it, if its all it's cracked up to be.  But I'd probably wait for the PC port.

The original trailer (pre-PS4 release) was for PC only, but it looks like Sony have dangled some large monetary carrots in front of the devs for a PS4 exclusive, and there's no plans for a PC release now.

Not a chance for me.

D.

Back