No 4:3(Full Size Scale) or GG Support for Picodrive?

TylerAW

So I am very familiar with this emulator, it runs well on my old PSP... but when loading a game the default is full screen (stretching across the whole image) but there are no presets for 4:3 mode with the except of 2x2 mode... it's not like that is that bad looking, but is there no way to have say a 2.5x2.5 mode? Other than scaling the image I mean? I can't seem to get it to fill the whole screen but maintain the original aspect ratio.

Also, this emulator does not support Game Gear roms and I am having trouble finding an emulator that does. (One that works without crashing I mean)

Sorry for all of the new posts, but getting my Pandora to run how I want is starting to turn into a chore (not that it's not fun, but a lot of useful information that was archived from before doesn't seem to be helpful, maybe outdated?)

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah, I've noticed this.. it also doesn't seem to save the custom configuration either.. unless I'm missing something.

I haven't played around with GG games on it yet, but maybe 8blitter may be a good substitute?: http://repo.openpandora.org/?page=detail&app=8blitter.lordus
Global config does nothing... this sucks.

There is one! I was looking for that (major flaw on the Pandora App thing, you cannot search by descriptions... so you're pretty much on your own) The odd names of each of these emulators doesn't help things.

Confirmed on the latest built of Pico, you cannot save configurations... it always defaults back to 1:1 (Looking inside the config files it makes, there is no area that changes the display options, which would explain why it keeps reseting them each time you restart the emulator)

Well the emulator is hardly the Pandora's fault.. most of the emulators are written by different people who port things to not just the Pandora, but other systems as well. The emulator programmers' have different level of abilities and different opinions on how they're configured and used.. Some emulators are just quick port from the PC sources, other have been seriously optimized for the Pandora.. Notaz who wrote picodrive, did spend a good amount of optimizing it for the Pandora, but it seems there are some quirks.. Now he spends most of his time working on the OS level things for the Pandora and now the Pyra and this is on top of his real job, I think he stated before that his time is limited. 

Well the emulator is hardly the Pandora's fault.. most of the emulators are written by different people who port things to not just the Pandora, but other systems as well. The emulator programmers' have different level of abilities and different opinions on how they're configured and used.. Some emulators are just quick port from the PC sources, other have been seriously optimized for the Pandora.. Notaz who wrote picodrive, did spend a good amount of optimizing it for the Pandora, but it seems there are some quirks.. Now he spends most of his time working on the OS level things for the Pandora and now the Pyra and this is on top of his real job, I think he stated before that his time is limited. 
I understand all of that, but if we had notes on what each line in the configuration file does, we could probably manually change the video mode and that would be that. I can tell you this much though, that GG emulator is a bit odd, I believe it is missing sprites on each game.

GG support in PD was never completed, it's "not implemented" as far as I'm concerned..

I've not tried running any Gamegear games yet, but to my knowledge Mednafen is a decent option as it has an engine for GG/MS, if you can learn the slightly esoteric system controls. I've used 8Blitter for Gameboy games, and if it does GG too that's worth trying.

It's worth noting that according to the repo description, Picodrive doesn't even support MS games. It's an excellent emulator for 16-bit(ish) games though.

I've not tried running any Gamegear games yet, but to my knowledge Mednafen is a decent option as it has an engine for GG/MS, if you can learn the slightly esoteric system controls. I've used 8Blitter for Gameboy games, and if it does GG too that's worth trying.

It's worth noting that according to the repo description, Picodrive doesn't even support MS games. It's an excellent emulator for 16-bit(ish) games though.
I got Picodrive to support MS games just fine, or does it only run some of them? Also 8Blitter worked great for Game Gear though I am almost certain some sprites were missing in some games (kept getting hit by invisible things in Alien 3)

@TylerAW: Search the repository through the web app http://repo.openpandora.org and you will have the opportunity to search through title, description and even user comments. The results which match the PND title appear in place below the search field, the full text search (title, description, user comments) after pressing enter and getting the results page. Good arrival in the Pandora universe :)

Back