New Xgp/gpx2 Info

polooo2

a couple bits of news seemed to have slipped between my fingers as the news wasn't posted as a new thread, but rather as an edited post form @ gpzigi.

Here it is:

XGP's sound chip(or system) will be a '64-poly wave table synthesizer'

XGP has USB host, as many already know.

XGP's OS will be an updated/improved GPOS

Seems like GPX2's RAM was chosen to be DDR for a couple days, but now it's unknown type.

Nothing much new atm.

Cheers.

USB host is in my opinion total waste unless you have it installed in hdd based hardware. Why should I copy images (and thats the only usefull thing you can do with USB hos functiont) from my 256 mb compact flash card in digital camera to 256 mb SD or whatever card XGP is going to use ? Totally useless and I am quite happy GPH didn't include USB in GPX2.

hando posted on Aug 8 2005 at 03:47 PM said:

USB host is in my opinion total waste unless you have it installed in hdd based hardware. Why should I copy images (and thats the only usefull thing you can do with USB hos functiont) from my 256 mb compact flash card in digital camera to 256 mb SD or whatever card XGP is going to use ? Totally useless and I am quite happy GPH didn't include USB in GPX2.

Do you realize that USB host is not only for copy files from a device to another?

Think about wifi/bluetooth dongles, gps, cameras(¿webcams?), tv/vga adapters, and a long list of cool devices...

Or an external harddisk or usb flash key to store your files instead the SD memory

What have dissapointed me about the GPX2 is the last post in the FAQ "there will not be multitasking because it's too hard to implement" wtf...On my Symbian mobile phone when I press a key(don't know what's the key name translated to english) it sends the actual application to the background, two seconds the "menu" button shows a task list. It's also an ARM9 device, a 100mhz one, and all we now linux is a beast about multitasking. So..why they say it's impossible to implement? :huh:

(they wrote multimasking :lol:)

Last edited by a moderator:
efegea posted on Aug 8 2005 at 02:54 PM said:
hando posted on Aug 8 2005 at 03:47 PM said:

Do you realize that USB host is not only for copy files from a device to another?

Think about wifi/bluetooth dongles, gps, cameras(¿webcams?), tv/vga adapters, and a long list of cool devices...

Or an external harddisk or usb flash key to store your files instead the SD memory

What have dissapointed me about the GPX2 is the last post in the FAQ "there will not be multitasking because it's too hard to implement" wtf...On my Symbian mobile phone when I press a key(don't know what's the key name translated to english) it sends the actual application to the background, two seconds the "menu" button shows a task list. It's also an ARM9 device, a 100mhz one, and all we now linux is a beast about multitasking. So..why they say it's impossible to implement? :huh:

(they wrote multimasking :lol:)

Like it's an linux os, i think we will see others linux OS with multitasking ;)

hando posted on Aug 8 2005 at 06:47 AM said:

If it has tv out and usb host, you could plug in a usb gamepad, hook it up to your tv and play as if it were a normal game console. These capabilities make it more of a universal media manager.

uberjoe posted on Aug 8 2005 at 06:57 PM said:
If it has tv out and usb host, you could plug in a usb gamepad, hook it up to your tv and play as if it were a normal game console. These capabilities make it more of a universal media manager.

Why not use the GPX2 as the gamepad? :p

For USB host, the only thing that was missing on the GP32 was connecting it to a power source. Since it's not that difficult to just add an extra track on the board to route power to the connector, it may as well be there, and open up more possibility.

Multitasking - It depends on how far you go with it, but considering they are using Linux, which is natively multiasking, I wouldn't have thought it would be that difficult - certainly if all you want is music playing in the background whilst you play a game (it could just run on a seperate thread, for example).

They seem also to have used the select button to toggle the backlight on/off again :(

GPX2 has a backlighting function.
Holding a button for a few seconds will shut off the light, there is no dedicated button

Squidge posted on Aug 8 2005 at 07:26 PM said:
They seem also to have used the select button to toggle the backlight on/off again :(
Holding a button for a few seconds will shut off the light, there is no dedicated button

Ah, don't worry about that.
It's only a problem yet for emulators that misuse the select button.
But as we do have two more buttons, it shouldn't be a problem.

I for myself can't think of a single game where you need to hold the select button for a while...

Last edited:
EvilDragon posted on Aug 8 2005 at 06:36 PM said:

I for myself can't think of a single game where you need to hold the select button for a while...

Many games had secrets that require holding Select (often while inputting a code):

Street Fighter Alpha 2
Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!
Kickle Cubicle
Super Star Wars
Legend of Kage
NHL '96
Adventures of Tron

TandeM posted on Aug 8 2005 at 07:28 PM said:
EvilDragon posted on Aug 8 2005 at 06:36 PM said:

Many games had secrets that require holding Select (often while inputting a code):

Street Fighter Alpha 2
Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!
Kickle Cubicle
Super Star Wars
Legend of Kage
NHL '96
Adventures of Tron

To be honest no-one at GPH is going to say "STOPE PRODUCTION! Theres 5 or so games that require the holding of the selct button - often while inputting codes!"

Theres nothing to be done...

Either way they say there's no set button for the task so maybe they're still planning a way to avoide making it a button with other functions.

We can hope I guess.

But if they don't there's nothing to stop you from just pressing the select button down to turn the light back on after you've finished doing whatever you were pressing it for in the first place.

Back