New Wiz Forum?

centrlink

Website
Visit site
Been popping in, and scanning the various forums for wiz threads, and they are a bit all over the place.

What say you mods et al to a separate wiz forum? Tis time I reckon :)

And move pandora section far down below gp32 section since it is not a gp2x product but parasite device made by gp2x distributors.

Exophase said:
And move quasist to "banned users"
It would be a sufficent sacrifice if pandora forum to be moved lower than "off-topic disscusion" :D

Last edited by a moderator:
quasist said:
Exophase said:
It would be a sufficent sacrifice if pandora forum to be moved lower than "off-topic disscusion" :D

Why exactly do you hate the pandora?

Nova said:
quasist said:
Exophase said:

Why exactly do you hate the pandora?

it is <woman of negotiable affection>-designed handheld to do every man plea and also
quasist said:
since it is not a gp2x product but parasite device made by gp2x distributors.
In mythology Pandora was made by god (Hephaestus), which after were slain by Xena the Warrior Princess. Zeus that ordered Pandrora's creation is also had being slain.

Me hope that history with some modern names ;)

I mean Xena will <bake a cake for> Craig&co :)

Quasist is just pissy because pandora is better than him.

And while the Wiz should probably have its own forum, at the same time, this site is becoming hella bulky. I'm not sure :(

This whole site has been co-opted as a place to bash GPH & GP2X and switch people to Pandora, it is not good for GPH that it is their conduit to the English-speaking world. I wish some alternative site would spring up where people interested in GP2x/Wiz could actually have a positive experience.

The mods actually make things worse by locking threads which are negative about Pandora while allowing an "anything goes" policy towards GPH.

Countdown to thread-lock 3...2...

maybe the wiz will have also an international forum elsewhere, i'm thinking about registering a domain (not only for the wiz but also for gp2xes) and make a forum with a bunch of people, but surely something that can coexist with gp32x, also because this board is like "storical" and full of cool people

i'm also all for a subforum. and this OpenPandora vs. GPH nonsense is lame, and needs to stop.

there will be room on my gadget shelf for both devices, and i'm certain i'm not the only one who feels this way.

mechanizeddeath said:
i'm also all for a subforum. and this OpenPandora vs. GPH nonsense is lame, and needs to stop.

there will be room on my gadget shelf for both devices, and i'm certain i'm not the only one who feels this way.
agreed :)

also because buying a Wiz from craigx will make you indirectly "fund" production of Pandora

Since this forum no longer tolerates anyone who does not favor the Pandora, I am going to start my own forum for the Wiz where you can hate and/or like it.

The Pandora is more powerful than the Wiz--- No question about it

The Wiz is far cheaper, and will make do --- No question about it.

tmcnair said:
This whole site has been co-opted as a place to bash GPH & GP2X and switch people to Pandora, it is not good for GPH that it is their conduit to the English-speaking world. I wish some alternative site would spring up where people interested in GP2x/Wiz could actually have a positive experience.

The mods actually make things worse by locking threads which are negative about Pandora while allowing an "anything goes" policy towards GPH.
There is little to no actual "bashing" going on toward GPH. A lot of people here are upset with some of the design and support decisions they've made in the past (and are currently making), and some of them are more vocal about it then others. I've personally defended a lot of their decisions, but even I won't say that their products are flawless and their support of the community exemplary. The GP2X was a great device for what it was, but it had serious shortcomings. Pointing out those shortcomings and being excited that a new device is on the horizon that addresses them is not "bashing". Wondering why on earth GPH's new handheld fails to address several of these issues (in addition to creating some new ones) is not "bashing" either. Just because somebody disagrees with you does not make it an attack.

WizForums said:
Since this forum no longer tolerates anyone who does not favor the Pandora, I am going to start my own forum for the Wiz where you can hate and/or like it.
The only things not tolerated on these forums are rude / obnoxious behavior, personal attacks, and incessant whining. There will no doubt be a dedicated Wiz section here as soon as Hando has a chance to add it.

Though if you do create a seperate forum, please take Quasist with you.

mechanizeddeath said:

I'll second that, its to early to judge anyways because neither device has been released granted I'm guilty for that a little due to the duel dpad design but it may feel nice... I don't know. We'll find out when both are released.

Chip said:
tmcnair said:

There is little to no actual "bashing" going on toward GPH. A lot of people here are upset with some of the design and support decisions they've made in the past (and are currently making), and some of them are more vocal about it then others. I've personally defended a lot of their decisions, but even I won't say that their products are flawless and their support of the community exemplary. The GP2X was a great device for what it was, but it had serious shortcomings. Pointing out those shortcomings and being excited that a new device is on the horizon that addresses them is not "bashing". Wondering why on earth GPH's new handheld fails to address several of these issues (in addition to creating some new ones) is not "bashing" either. Just because somebody disagrees with you does not make it an attack.

There is a double standard in these forums. Legitimate criticisms of the Pandora are treated differently than criticisms of GPH products. You either allow people to whine or you don't - if the rule is applied selectively (and it is) that is a failure of moderation and it changes the tone and direction of the forum. The tone and direction of this forum are decidedly pro-pandora and anti-GPH and that is reinforced by moderation. That is fine - whoever owns this can run it how they like. My point is that this board is poison for GPH right now and if they had a clue and if they care about the English speaking market they'd at least attempt to provide an alternative venue.

quasist said:
And move pandora section far down below gp32 section since it is not a gp2x product but parasite device made by gp2x distributors.
Wooo, I stop reading for a few days and the whole site attitude seems to go to hell in a handcart :eek:.

Am I missing something or has the fanboy syndrome just got a tad out of control (even by this forums standards)?

I don't totally get it, there are many devices out there and an ever increasing number coming to market. I guess pure market demand and perception will decide what sells and what does not but is there any reason to pop at each device, especially before they hit retail? All it does is fracture the user base, forms smaller pockets and leads to tiny little 'incestuous' groups that like to take the Gollum approach to there knowledge. Our precious, we don't play with others. I mean what is that all about? I have seen that happen so many times and it is that self perpetuating way of keeping things underground.

I mean I have been developing on the Pandora and I will say for the record, it is a hell of a platform but I did a lot of work with pre-release GP2X dev boards back in the day (for GPH and suppliers and yes, it had its faults but it was clear then it was a cool platform for the time) and the GP32 before that (and plenty of other platforms on the way) and I will sure as hell mess around with the Wiz (I mean, sans scaler support (so limited to 320*240 games) ScummVM already runs on the Wiz from my 2X code (as it does on the Pandora but using the Pandora scaler) and I am sure when the hardware is better understood it will run a lot better). I mean it is really easy too see a number of quite bespoked GP2X apps moving to a single codebase with just a handful of defines and build optimisations setting the GP2X/Wiz and Pandora builds apart while still being very crafted onto the hardware.

If the prices are right there is definitely a market for the Pandora and Wiz and a lot of the suppliers seem to be planning to carry both, if the prices are not right then the market will sort that out or bring in something else to fill the void.

Speaking as a developer there is nothing as big a turn off this this silly infighting and slagging off on both sides. It really does start to raise the age old, why do we bother, feelings. I mean, I am in this whole scene because I love messing with hardware and there are some very talented and capable people I have had the pleasure of working with thanks to this community.

Ok, yes, the Pandora has a lot of raw grunt but the Pollux is a very interesting little SoC and it has that lineage to the MMSP2 used in the 2X so should be an easy enough platform to mess about with if your coming from the 2+ (in some ways I was hoping GPH would use the MMSP2+ but cest la vie), they both stand to be a hell of a lot of fun and is that not why we are all here in the first place?

tmcnair said:
There is a double standard in these forums. Legitimate criticisms of the Pandora are treated differently than criticisms of GPH products. You either allow people to whine or you don't - if the rule is applied selectively (and it is) that is a failure of moderation and it changes the tone and direction of the forum. The tone and direction of this forum are decidedly pro-pandora and anti-GPH and that is reinforced by moderation. That is fine - whoever owns this can run it how they like. My point is that this board is poison for GPH right now and if they had a clue and if they care about the English speaking market they'd at least attempt to provide an alternative venue.
SIG'D!

I am in total agreement with DJWillis.

I would like to own all four, alas I was late into the game and bought a Gameboy Advance and devkit instead of a GP32. What a mistake that was. I jumped on the GP2X right after release and despite it's shortcomings had a wonderful time with it. That is until I released the magic blue smoke. I would gladly own a Wiz if I had the extra cash, but I have already committed myself to owning a Pandora. Gods of fortune and luck willing, I am buying a Wiz sometime next year, unless something more shiny comes along.

All of this bickering is extremely tiresome. I refresh this forum dozens of times a day. My job is very boring and reading everything on the scene keeps me entertained. It has already become clear that quite a few people in the community have galvanized themselves one way or the other when it comes the new units coming out. However, that doesn't mean they need to be so venomous about it. I hope all the open platforms do exceptionally well, and draw more devs in from the commercial crap-factories.

Back