New Target Capacity For Sd - 32gb

gmiller1018

Website
Visit site
Can someone explain to me.. as simply as possible.. how 32gb can fit inside an SD Card :blink:

The article talks about an upcoming 4GB SD being part of the SDHC family. What's the big deal, aren't 4GB regular SD available already?

- Alex

mdinire posted on Sep 30 2006 at 11:47 PM said:
Can someone explain to me.. as simply as possible.. how 32gb can fit inside an SD Card :blink:
Simple, it comes all down to transistors (the basic component of every digital electronic device) the amount of transistors that can be fitted on a square cm double about each 8/10 months. It has been growning like this atleast sinds the very first computer chips.
So it's 4GB now, 8GB next year and 16GB the year after that.

(It says it the new 4GB card is part of the new standard that allows up to 32GB cards, not that 32GB cards are made already)

Last edited by a moderator:
Shikaku posted on Sep 30 2006 at 04:29 PM said:
We will only care when we get it available to the consumer: this is old news (months now)

You can get the solid state disk today but the SD cards are limited to 8GB today (but VERY expensive) and not generally available.

yeah Ill stick with a 4GB for now. No ofenese the GP2X is great and all, but I just cant see me needing 16 or 32GB of data for it.

Daid posted on Oct 1 2006 at 01:10 AM said:
mdinire posted on Sep 30 2006 at 11:47 PM said:
Simple, it comes all down to transistors (the basic component of every digital electronic device) the amount of transistors that can be fitted on a square cm double about each 8/10 months. It has been growning like this atleast sinds the very first computer chips.
So it's 4GB now, 8GB next year and 16GB the year after that.

(It says it the new 4GB card is part of the new standard that allows up to 32GB cards, not that 32GB cards are made already)
Its called Moores Law and its every 18 months :rolleyes:

Lupin posted on Oct 1 2006 at 04:29 AM said:
yeah Ill stick with a 4GB for now. No ofenese the GP2X is great and all, but I just cant see me needing 16 or 32GB of data for it.

Full rom packs of every console for emulation. All the homebrew you can want. And lotsa space for movies and music...

with an SD card that big there would be less need for an external hard drive.

craigix posted on Sep 30 2006 at 10:07 PM said:
RRP is supposed to be around £400

Its cheaper than a sony 1gb memory stick then :lol:

Lupin posted on Oct 1 2006 at 01:50 PM said:
yeah cool and all but on the same note that many roms is pointless. to me at least.

I don't know, I think it is kind of cool. At any time you can just pick a random ROM and discover something new.

I wonder if the 8 GB SD cards work on the GP2X?

Back