New Squidgesnes & Picodrive Are Out

* MMU hack now uses kernel module (safer).
* Looks like the above change fixed load= command line option.
+ Added ability to save config for every game.
* Save states should now be written properly to SD card.

There's also a new version of PicoDrive:

http://www.gp2x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,0,0,0,5,1801

* GP2X: Fixed a sound buffer underflow issue on lower sample rate modes, which was
happening for NTSC games and causing sound clicks.
* GP2X: Redone key config to better support USB joysticks (now multiple joysticks
should be useable and configurable).
+ GP2X: Added save confirmation option.
+ GP2X: Added 940 CPU crash detection.
+ ALL: UIQ3 port added.

Yay Notaz!!!

I wonder since it uses the MMU hack in the kernal does it still work with FW2.0?

I use the MMU kernel module with FW 2.0 just fine in my projects, if that's any help.

Yay, save confirmation! I got really pissed off when I accidentally saved right when I died with no lives or continues, at the final stage in Sonic 2 :(

g4m3r posted on Dec 4 2006 at 06:14 AM said:
Yay, save confirmation! I got really pissed off when I accidentally saved right when I died with no lives or continues, at the final stage in Sonic 2 :(

Sonic 2 on SNES?

Last edited by a moderator:
chaos engineer posted on Dec 4 2006 at 02:07 AM said:
g4m3r posted on Dec 4 2006 at 06:14 AM said:
Sonic 2 on SNES?
There's a new Picodrive, too. ;)

Yeah it is just some usability updates for both emus. Don't have time to do any serious work lately.

The idea for PicoDrive was to use it as a real console, that is connect BOB, plug in 2 USB joys, TV-out and play something with my sister next time I visit her, just like we used to ~12 years ago. Gonna get her a GP2X for x-mas from ED, there is still a donation thing going on.. :)

As for ssnes it needed an update badly, so I thought at least some "easy" fixes is better than nothing (so most problems mentioned here still apply).

notaz posted on Dec 4 2006 at 01:51 PM said:
don't know, would have to do some testing to find out.

*gets a sparkle of hope in his eyes* :D

Amon_Re: I seriously wouldn't get your hopes up, unfortunately. There isn't likely enough CPU horsepower to emulate both 68000s (one of which is 50% faster than the MD's existing 68000, which is one of the more taxing parts of the emulation), plus the Z80, the MegaCD's custom video hardware will need very highly optimized ASM code to work effectively .. there's also the issue of audio decompression/playback, which is a huge CPU strain-- since I doubt there are many people who will agree to putting uncompressed audio on their SD card, resulting in using 2/3 of a 1GB SD card for one game.

Epicenter posted on Dec 4 2006 at 09:33 AM said:
Amon_Re: there's also the issue of audio decompression/playback, which is a huge CPU strain-- since I doubt there are many people who will agree to putting uncompressed audio on their SD card, resulting in using 2/3 of a 1GB SD card for one game.

The Fusion emulator (emulates Genesis and Sega CD) used MP3 versions of the audio for playback... this probably won't be an issue.

Ok, why aren't the new versions on the front page of gp32x? These are probably the most popular emus out there and I've always seen front page news items about them before...

Also, the new Gameboy Advance emulator news item is kind of buried...

I guess I don't understand how things make it to the front page. Do you have to post in the news forum and then it might make it there?

If game settings can now be stored, is it possible to have some kinda wiki where we can post the ideal settings for each game, for other people to download?

Back