New Sd Card Issues

farmerjonbmx

Still Fresh
weird wingding text/rom corruption issues

can anyone give us the basics on setting up or transfering to a new SD card?
I have been trying to upgrade the 4gb card to 16gb or 32gb but keep geting strange errors, dissapearing files, wingding looking file names, its so random and strange.

should you set things up with SD in the Caanoo?
Does the PC OS make a diffrence?
Do you have to format or restart the Caanoo before, after, during installation?
do you install the emulators first then Roms after? or can it all be done in a single install?
All emulators at once? or one at a time?

my brain hurts

I have tried so many variations but continue to get all the same random errors, etc.

any help would be appreciated.

LOL....... UPDATE

Yoshi is tha MAN !

Just use his EMU Pack it is perfect :)

I just re formatted and instaled his pack with no issues,

i am adding all my roms now and so far all are working flawlessly with Mame, Neo Geo, SNES, Turbo Grafix/NEC and Genesis.

UPDATE ... I only get 1/2 way through my rom sets and get all the same errors :(

update

false alarm thinking things are working

I am still getting weird sd errors when trying to load ROM sets
I get a couple sets loaded on my caanoo and eventually in the middle of loading a set i get an error saying "FILE cannot be found" and try again....skip...tried it all and it never resumes loading ROM files. AND . . . . . . when I eject my Caanoo and check emu's random ROMS if not complete sets are just weird garbled wingDing type names, and dont run games of course. I cant delete just the corrupted files, it gives the "error cannot find file" so i end up haveing to reformat and start over

I am hours and hours into this

what the heck am I doing wrong?
please : ) anyone have any ideas?

My guess would be that there's either something wrong with the cable between your Caanoo and your computer (i.e., it's glitching and feeding bad or incomplete data to your Caanoo, then occasionally dropping the connection entirely), something wrong with your computer (either a hardware issue with the usb port, or a software issue with the port's driver), or something really funky with the Caanoo firmware and a large capacity SDHC card.

Of the three, I'm thinking its a cable issue. I've seen usb cables go bad before, and thats what it looks like (I use an USB extension to plug in thumb drives without having to fiddle with a weird angled port, and when it went bad, it did something similar - it looked fine, and would even charge devices fine, but data would get corrupted at the other end).

As for your original questions, none of that should matter (not the OS, not when you put the SD card in, or how and in what order you copy stuff to it) just as long as you format the card FAT32.

Could you try using a card reader other than your Caanoo? Also, and this is really just for reference, if that doesn't work, let us know the brand and specifics of the cards you're trying. I really doubt that this is the issue, but I know that certain brands of cards don't work on certain hardware (though I don't think I've ever heard of this problem with the Caanoo).

i have actually tried 3 SD cards and 3 diffrent computers, 3 diffrent card readers, in every combination and get the same wingding errors
4gb caanoo card
16gb wintec filemate card
32gb SanDisk

the only variables left are the caanoo cable and the caanoo itself

I am wondering if there is a virus???? in one of my ROM batches? I am loading smaller batches and seem to be having better luck. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

I can't imagine its a virus; I don't think there is a virus for the Caanoo. Unless of course its actually on all those computers and affects the somputers in a way that corrupts data out the USB, which is just as unlikely.

With three different cards, including the Caanoo original, I doubt its a compatibility problem either. (though, when I got my Caanoo card, I managed to corrupt it before ever using it, and had to format it, which means I never got a chance to play all those games, but it worked fine after that). And if you're using a card reader instead of the Caanoo, it not likely a cable problem either (since you've copied data to the card without the Caanoo, correct?).

Have you tried reflashing the firmware? I know thats sort of the stock answer for anything that goes wrong, but I suppose it couldn't hurt.

*Edit* Fireware Link

i copied all my roms on my PC to my my main drive(solid state) and copied them to the sd card from there via the caanoo and it seems to have worked. everything transferred over and no corruption(keeping my fingers crossed) The roms were on my main PC storage drive that was connected via USB, maybe the USB connection or standard disc drive was the problem.

i also did a complete format on the sd card before i transfered so maybe that fixed something.
I had been using quick format option on all previous attempts.

Weird things happen to me too. The Caanoo-branded SD card stopped working the day I got it. I bought a new Kingston 8GB SDHC card and have weird issues with it. Copying is excruciatingly slow (500-700 kBps), the card mysteriously disconnects in the middle of copying, regardless if it's in the caanoo or plugged into my card reader.

It almost seems the Caanoo fucks up the cards. I've never seen this, and I have really, really long experience with cards and gadgets. Downgraded to 1.0.6 but the issue persists.

This tiny program might help. Try reformatting your Kingston card.
the card mysteriously disconnects in the middle of copying
I had the same problem with my sd-card reader after I bought a new Windows7 computer(I was on XP before), but copying to Caanoo still works and yes it is very slow(though I get 2 times your speed).

The card that came with my Caanoo only works half the time, as in although the device acknowledges a card is in it, none of the contents appear on the Caanoo menu. Sometimes a simple power cycle works, sometimes you have to pop the card out and in.

darklight1138 said:
The card that came with my Caanoo only works half the time, as in although the device acknowledges a card is in it, none of the contents appear on the Caanoo menu. Sometimes a simple power cycle works, sometimes you have to pop the card out and in.
i have the same issue with my caanoo and with aftermarket cards

Last edited by a moderator:
update on my origonal issues. All had seemed to be resolved by using an XP machine.
something with win 7 (3 diffrent computers) give those random errors on transfer

The Caanoo-branded SD card died in about the first hour after arrival. With new card, if Caanoo crashes, I need to power-cycle before the OS detects the contents properly.

Same problem here. I will get a new 8GB microSD with adapter and I'll try to update the card with the SD Formatter 3.1. FAT32 should be fine, I hope...

Back