[New Pandora Use] SWI-Prolog

_wb_

Microbe
Staff member
It was a zero effort port, but since there's a compo running I might just as well put it in as an entry :)

SWI-Prolog is one of the most popular Prolog systems. It is often used for teaching, since it is a robust implementation with good debugging and development tools.

This PND might be practical for computer science students who take a Prolog course, or anyone who wants to tinker with Prolog.

Nice entry :)

Do you have any example application of what Prolog can run ? I've heard about it many times but I don't really know what you can do with Prolog that may be harder to do with other languages. 

Prolog has good built-in parsing (context-free grammars), backtracking (depth-first search), support for arbitrary-precision numbers (big ints, rationals, etc), and of course unification of logical variables (i.e. rational trees), so that can make it a very practical high-level language. It's very suitable for applications like language processing, database stuff, constraint solving (CLP, CHR), reasoning, etc.

Well, my job is to do research on programming languages that can be seen as extensions/generalizations of Prolog, and they are often implemented in Prolog, so yes :)

Yay! :)

Just stumbled over this good news.

I will replace the very basic swi-prolog installation I compiled myself with this and try it on the weekend...

Thanks!

Back