new idea for pandora cases

R34P3R

Still Fresh
hello evil dragon i would first like to say i am in love with what you guys have accomplished with the open pandora and wish you guys further success. anyway i had about 2 ideas to send your way on adding options /improvement to the design of the open pandora. one would be the option of ordering the pandora with a aluminum case at extra cost to the end user (of course if it is safe to the end user to do so) , also i would like to say that the issue with the middle split where the 2 sd cards go could be solved with a screw. if it won't mess with much. if it will you could always add these changes / options to the pandora 2 , if you ever decide to make it.

thanks for taking your time in reading this post , and again i love you guys for the work you put into this device even though i do not own one myself

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello Evildragon,

First I would like to say that I am in love with what you guys have accomplished with the Pandora and wish you guys further success.

Anyway, I had about 2 ideas to send your way on improving/adding options to the design of the Pandora:

1. Selling a more expensive version with an aluminum case at extra cost to the end user (of course if it is safe for the end user to do so) (Perhaps this means 'if the user can afford it '? - Binky)

2. Fix the issue with the middle split where the 2 sd cards go by using a screw.

if it would mess with the design too much, perhaps you could add these changes / options to the pandora 2 , if you ever decide to make it.

Thanks for taking the time to read this post, again, I love you guys for the work you put into this device even though I do not own one myself.

(Grammar, writing style, syntax, and page layout cleaned up by Binky)

Perhaps this would be better put in "Pandora 2 spam", so the community can discuss it?

My thoughts are that an aluminium case would be incredibly expensive (and very nice)

Could you elaborate on the issue with the SD card slots?

(the official team do read the rest of these forums from time to time :)

1. I have a multitude of reasons for the aluminum idea.

a. aluminum is very durable

b. aluminum is more environment friendly

c. plastic is ugly

d. with normal use of the device comes nicks and scratches , scratching or nicking plastic is an eyesore , scratching or nicking an aluminum case gives it character

e. customizability ( i.e case modding like laser engraving , mirror finishing the case)

f. it is easy to take care of and take pride in something that you bought that looks good

the only real con about using aluminum is your finger oils will eat away at the shell of the device (over a lot of use) , but that is the same with the plastic too

2 . the issue with the middle split where the sd card slots are is because of a internal latch issue came across in manufacturing the pandora

3. about the aluminum case being a expensive extra , sure it might add a little extra cost to the pandora . but for what i see it would not be too much more or of a expensive option if

a. ordering the aluminum cases in bulk open pandora would probably receive a price break based off of the number of cases they buy

b. it all comes down to how the aluminum case would be made , you got 3 options available there (off the top of my head).

b.1. machining the case from scratch from a solid block of aluminum , very costly option because of the total time spent in making the case

b.2 greensand casting the parts then machining only what is necessary which would end up saving time over milling from scratch

b.3. they can use investment casting then machining only what is necessary , and please correct me if i am wrong but i believe out of all the three investment casting trees would provide a better ratio of time to cases made , with the bottleneck being at the cnc machine making the holes for the screw to go in.

if you got any more questions / comments about my suggestion i would love to receive them , because the original suggestion was not merely a suggestion , but also a question.

Binky , re "Perhaps this would be better put in "Pandora 2 spam", so the community can discuss it?", had no idea where to put it being a newbie to posting on the forums.

also re "(of course if it is safe for the end user to do so) (Perhaps this means 'if the user can afford it '? - Binky)". no I meant it because of the extra considerations you would have to make in using a metal case for a electronics product , that being metal conducts electricity which might mean a slight alteration in the dimensions of the pcb, along with some other things i might not be seeing at the moment.

p.s. dang i really did not intend for the second post to be so much longer than the first.

2 . the issue with the middle split where the sd card slots are is because of a internal latch issue came across in manufacturing the pandora

This sounds like a small issue that one user on YouTube experienced. This is the only instance where I've heard of it happening. It definitely didn't happen to mine.

Aluminium cases would be awesome, and would (almost) certainly be better than plastic. However, I think they would have to be a premium limited edition run (because of the relatively high cost of casting &milling etc)

The contruction of the iCP2 looks promising, through...

The middle split happens as the latch is a really small plastic hook.

I have broken this twice. When its broken the Pandora is still usable though the gap in front is slightly larger. Outside of a redesigned case I don't see how a screw could be used there.

Back