NEW GP32 LIGHT.... is it worth it ?

chromatic

Still Fresh
hi all :) my first message
so finally after some weeks reading everything i can on you great forum, i decided to buy a gp32.
But because of the infos about the new model with front light inside... i did wait to see if it was gonna be a good thing....
so, finally they made a review at gbax....

i thing im gonna order the normal version of the gp32 ar enware...
i dont feel that the front light is worth the 50$....

1/ because a lot of people allready said that the gp32 doesent really need if if you dont play at night :rolleyes:
2/ with the light on the batteries last for only 3 or 4 hours....

what do you think ?
thanks
chromatic

hi,

i have a regular gp & find the screen brilliant! its much better than the standard GBA screen and i can play my GP in many places that my gBA failed. the screen is very crisp and DOES NOT suffer from bad reflections like the GBA.

i may order a diy kit as your gonna need it if your playing at night (in bed or something - sad i know, but it does happen) but right now i have been playing my GP in my low lit front room with no probs at all.

just loaded on the msx emu and found out how cool the mxs version of hypersports is!!!! think i may end up breaking the joystick if i play this too much!

hope this helps
gary

because it's seem to be complicate to upgrade the GP, and because i'm ridiculous in using my hands, i will command a new GP but with the FLU :rolleyes:

ow! ow! ow! ow!

I'm assuming that the do it yourself kit would also be at least $50 then. :(

$30 -> buy it no questions asked
$40 -> pretty good chance, it's still reasonable
$50 -> OW. That hurts the ol' pocketbook. I really gotta evaluate how much use I'll get out of it. :/

Well... for me, an additional $50 is roughly what I was expecting - although I'd have called it an extra £30 (which sounds like less :p ). I'll definitely get a DIY kit, as, whilst its great MOST of the time, there's a few proggies that don't have gamma adjusting (i.e. SNES), and that kinda makes it hard to play in low-light without a small portable spotlight under arm. Good for darkened playing already if its got a gamma adjust on the proggy you're using; less so if it doesn't.
So I'd buy it.

What I wouldprefer to do is have seperate batteries for the light. It would last longer that way.

Im a little disapointed on how much it depletes the batteries..... BUT, i do like how we now have an indicator there about to run out and get a chance to save Phantasy Star before it resets (so annoying :p) and as ive got a 3 rechargable battery set cycle, it doesnt bother me too much :D

Just hope the self kits are easy enough to install :blink:

Bonks

yeah, it must be nice for darker games...
but still, i thing the gp32 is allready expensive.... so 50 more dollars.... to have a 3 hours light....
i thing im gonna order the normal gp32 model.... and maybe later buy the DIY kit... :D

is entware a good place to order it ? because its the cheapest....
or do i have to buy it from lik sang ?
im in canada

thanks

I mainly want the light for watching Divx films-without the need to keep moving the console about for best light position.Shame many of the Divx files I re-encode for Movie Park lose audio sync half-way into a film :( That's another post.
I find the GP32 fine for on the train and many other situations, but the internal light will be very useful.I have eight rechargable batteries on rotation so the power consumption isn't too much of a worry.I'll have to grab a PSU for it too-when I can confirm a brand and model that work with it.
I will be getting a light kit for sure.

They lose audio synch if you have the framerate **anything** above 10fps; that's its max limit, although they look fine to start with.
Just decimate the stuff to below that and you'll find synch stays put generally...

do you thing the light is gonna work when you use the gp32 with a 3v sector adapter instead of batteries ? :unsure:

That is rather cool! Now my nintendo fanatic friends won't have the light excuse going for them :D

I'm going to get the light as well. Although the screen is normally fine there are some situations where a light would be excellent and you can always switch it off if you don't need it to save battery life. B)

Just curious to get a feeling of how popular it is. How many units have you sold of the gp32 (light and no light)?

Back