New Ed Video: Tv-Out Demonstation

Alerino said:
i have to say this is cruel and mean, mean and cruel when we still don't have our tv-out cables :unsure: :(

October still to be shipped?
Are you kidding? He asked the community what they wanted to see a video of. I myself was the first to reply and suggested doing a video on the TV-out functionality.

The cables would have been useless until recently anyway since the tv-out script was just put into the latest hotfix.

All in due time, my friend.

ED- this looks awesome, I can't wait for the cables.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mofokubik said:
The cables would have been useless until recently anyway since the tv-out script was just put into the latest hotfix.
And it probably only took so long because it was a low priority on account that no one had cables anyway.
We seem to have a chicken and egg problem. :p

Wow! It 'looks' sharp, but seeing all those games just got me all revved up .. nobody around for lunch today,so guess I'm going to have a retrogaming lunch :p

jeff

^+1
very exciting video, I hope my pandora comes back with a tv-out cable :D

sixela said:
Ed get a haircut man.
:D

Kidding...as usual great video.
ed if you ever cut your hair off, i will glue it back on

will this show any problems on newer LCDs? i understand that crt's with svideo are fine and all, but whats official word on other type tvs?

New LCDs may appear to lag. This is a design "feature" of the TV which attempts to upscale the low quality image to something a little more pretty. Depending on your TV, you may be able to disable this feature.

Hopefully this will not be a problem on new LCD's as even my TV which was the absolute cheapest 32" Vizio seems to have no noticeable lag when I play the Dreamcast on it. I expected it to have lag but was surprised to see none. I thought only the more expensive ones would be likely to keep up, or maybe because it's cheaper it doesn't try to enhance the image? I guess trying it on different models would be the only way to know for sure. So we may end up with a TV compatibility list someday :p

or at least have the pandora or emulators/media players/apps have a lag calibration option like they do on guitar hero, possible?

DaMummy said:
or at least have the pandora or emulators/media players/apps have a lag calibration option like they do on guitar hero, possible?

That's not something you could calibrate on the Pandora side.

-God Ginrai

DaMummy said:

I always assumed that sort of calibration was possible because of the concrete nature of oncoming notes. No matter whether you hit or miss a note, the same notes will still progress towards you, so the game can just display the same image earlier than it would on a CRT.

With almost any other type of game, the on-screen image is entirely dependent on real time input. The system would need to know your button presses before you make them in order to do that same sort of compensation.

I wonder if there are other sorts of games which could utilize the same method. Can't really think of any at the moment. Rhythm games seem best suited to it.

Is it possible that future versions of the script/app will turn off the pandora's screen, to conserve power and such?

isnt there already a turn off backlight feature? besides, if youre using tv-out, youre most likely right next to a power source, unless you carry 30inch tvs around with you

b1ueskycomp1ex said:
Is it possible that future versions of the script/app will turn off the pandora's screen, to conserve power and such?

Sure, the current script doesn't do much except for enabling TV Out.
I'm working on that :)

BTW: If your TV / LCD doesn't lag with other gaming consoles which use analogue inputs, it won't lag with the Pandora, too.
It either lags or doesn't lag.

Last edited:
Hooray, mine doesn't lag.
grin.gif

Back