New Console In Proto-Type Stage

Here is the specs of a prototype I have in development the only thing not worked out is the actual case that will contain the inards

• Ingenic 4755 (Dual Core Clocked at 400 MHz but can be overclocked to 550Mhz The second core is a VPU similar to a GPU)
  • 4.0 TFT LCD (Brand: King Display KD43G16-40NC-A3 Resolution: 480x272 Active area: 95.04mm x 53.86mm 262K color, 24bit parallel RGB interface)
  • 64MB SD Ram (Winbond W9825G6EH-6 (2 pieces) 4M words x 4 banks x 16 bits = 32 MB 166MHz/CL3 or 133MHz/CL2)
  • 2GB NAND (Samsung K9GAG08U0E 16 Gb = 2GB MLC, large block 8-bit interface)
  • MicroSD Memory Slot
  • D-Pad and Analog Nub on left
  • Standard A,B,Y,X on the right and L1 R1 Shoulder buttons on top
  • 4MP Video Camera/Camera
  • OS will be Dingux with hopefully a new menu system the fall back will be Gmenu2X

Forgot to mention it actually detects as a device and allows file browsing with Windows Windows XP, Vista, and Windows 7 out of the box 32bit.

Estimated price $80 to $85 USD

We hope to have final proto-type by 15th of December. Not sure how long the OS will take but who knows might actually have it up and running by christmas but that is major wishful thinking.

Also have take the advice of adding a USB Type A Connector on the top of the console that is connected to a ISP1160/1 IC to add USB Host to the unit.

This will make using a Dongle WiFi Feasible will also allow for keyboards, mouse, game controllers etc.

So a quick search this thing is running something called Xburst
http://www.ingenic.cn/eng/productServ/AppPro/JZ4755/pfCustomPage.aspx

Which appears to be a chinese mips risc clone
(and the lol on me is that at first I thought you said it could run Windows, but then i took a closer look you meant usb connecting.)

Personally from the stats given I would go with a caanoo.

DingooDigitalUSA said:
Forgot to mention it actually detects as a device and allows file browsing with Windows Windows XP, Vista, and Windows 7 out of the box 32bit.
Keep in mind this is valid only for the default chinese firmware which is loaded onto the prototype unit.
With dingux this won't work, unless we implement the support of usb mass-storage mode.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm.....I would have doubled the RAM, added a touchscreen, a fullsize USB port, and internal WiFi. Maybe upped the price to $120 for the additional hardware.

Unfortunately, not a lot of the stuff running on it is going to benefit from the second core and the resolution is going to be worse for emulators :/

Here's some more info on the processing capabilities for the curious:

ftp://ftp.ingenic.cn/2soc/Jz4755_ds.pdf

Just a heads up - that second core is not like a GPU; it won't provide anything to say, render polygons. It won't help for geometry either, the "V" stands for video, not vector; its SIMD capabilities are the same as on the main CPU and not very extensive. It has a video acceleration block too so it should be good for video support. There's no MMU, so Linux can't schedule threads to it, and there's no cache so you have to put its program and critical data in its 32KB TCM. The situation is similar to the second core on GP2X, but even more restrictive.

Honestly I don't think that you'll see many people push this much beyond Dingoo's A330. But I think it's good that you guys are working on things, and I hope this'll result in more new handhelds. What sort of analog nub is being used?

Exophase said:
Unfortunately, not a lot of the stuff running on it is going to benefit from the second core and the resolution is going to be worse for emulators :/

Here's some more info on the processing capabilities for the curious:

ftp://ftp.ingenic.cn/2soc/Jz4755_ds.pdf

Just a heads up - that second core is not like a GPU; it won't provide anything to say, render polygons. It won't help for geometry either, the "V" stands for video, not vector; its SIMD capabilities are the same as on the main CPU and not very extensive. It has a video acceleration block too so it should be good for video support. There's no MMU, so Linux can't schedule threads to it, and there's no cache so you have to put its program and critical data in its 32KB TCM. The situation is similar to the second core on GP2X, but even more restrictive.

Honestly I don't think that you'll see many people push this much beyond Dingoo's A330. But I think it's good that you guys are working on things, and I hope this'll result in more new handhelds. What sort of analog nub is being used?

Here are some pictures of the front and back of the proto-type pcb:

http://img708.imageshack.us/i/pcbfront.jpg/

http://img442.imageshack.us/i/pcbback.jpg/

Is that the speakers I spy pointing out of the rear, or is that just a temporary location until you find a case for it?

Infinitely more interested already than I have been in the entire "other handheld console that'll arrive in 2 months" saga.

Wait, is DingooDigitalUSA working on their own console? Awesome!

Now for my humble and not-so-qualified-to-give comments:

- The docs seemed to indicate I2C interface... sounds nice, although i have never actually used it for anything, i would like to try
- The second core will probably mostly go unused, i'm afraid. There are only a hand-full of people capable of utilising it. Most of us can barely manage SDL ;)
- The screen is not so suited for emulators as i understand it. I'm not an emulator fan, but if it brings more people to the community, then that's great
- Oh baby, is that a camera there? And pretty high resolution too. Me likes (not sure what to use it for, but i have a M.Sc. in computer vision so it would be nice to play with)
- WIFI... in this day and age, I think it is a must
- The price seems to be quite nice!
- For me, personally, touchscreen... but that might not be so important for many, i'm not sure

Good luck with this project. I hope you sell a lot of units!

EDIT: One last comment. Make it look nice! I'm not too fond of the pandora's look. There is no reason not to use a little dough on a good designer... again, my humble opinion.

/Uni

Mjlink said:
u9i said:
No they aren't, they just got a prototype from Gemei.
Yes he is, I'll refer you to this thread at Dingoonity, http://boards.dingoonity.org/other-game-systems/new-console-in-prototype-stage/

Orion4874 said:
Mjlink said:
u9i said:
No they aren't, they just got a prototype from Gemei.
Yes he is, I'll refer you to this thread at Dingoonity, http://boards.dingoonity.org/other-game-systems/new-console-in-prototype-stage/
Thanks. My mistake! Curious now

Back