New Compatibility List

WarmFluffyUK

The Big Wad Bolf.
Website
www.retrotech.one
Hi folks :) ,

I'm about to rewrite the Compatibility list site which will integrate all the compatibility lists into one big resource, it will integrate the users of the sites too.

On the new site I am going to add an admin feature which will allow designated admins to add, remove and edit Emulators, systems and version numbers. The Emulator games lists will be central, so the NES emulator on all systems will share the same game list database, but the compatibility list will be unique to a system, emulator and version numbers.

Also, if any budding artists out there would like to contribute to the look of the site, I will be quite happy to hear from them. To tell you the truth, I have quite enough work on my hands on the coding side without having to be bothered about the colour schemes etc. In fact, as I am writing this for you all and not for myself, we could have a vote on which design is the most preferred. Please bare in mind that the site must be able to show a lot of data on screen and should be designed with 800x600 Screen Res as the minimum.

Any ideas about the site would be good too, as it's easier to write it all in from the beginning instead of bolting on things afterwards. Presently the site will remain basically the same, but with the addition of online administration. So if you would like to see an option, let me know soon. The coding will probably start in the next 2 weeks. Here's the changes I am going to make so far:

Administrators will be able to add, edit and remove emulators, systems and version numbers.

User database is integrated but access to certain systems can be restricted.

The vote system will move over to a 0% - 100% style system instead of the 0 - 5 star system. I don't think the present star system works very well myself.

Comments will be flagged on the main games list screen, so you will see instantly if someone has left a comment. Also, comments will be able to contain BBCode.

If a game doesn't have a status set, it will perform a look back on all previous versions and display the most up to date status, but you will be flagged that this is not tested on the version you are currently viewing. Presently it only looks back one version.

I'm hoping to design a sort of tree view on the left of the site, making it easier to navigate through all the various systems. Ideas on that would be nice.

The search function will be more deeply integrated, you will be able to search single systems or the whole lot, plus an extra option will allow you to search through the list you are presently viewing, allowing you to quickly jump to games on a certain emulator/version.

Phew, what HAVE I let myself in for. I'm sure you can see this is a pretty big project, and I get the feeling it could become the mother of all compatibility sites for any system anywhere.

Byeee for now,
Clare. :wub:

Aah yes.

What a coincidence, i just thought of such a system this morning!

A great idea, and mybe you can integrate the gp2x sometime.

Aah yes.

What a coincidence, i just thought of such a system this morning!

A great idea, and mybe you can integrate the gp2x sometime.

Actually yes I already have the GP32, GP2X and PSP Compatibility lists running, but I want to integrate the whole lot so it will be easier to add new systems in the future. For instance, I could easily add a PC Emu section etc etc etc.......

Last edited by a moderator:
Back