Release netPanzer

dimag0g

Very Active Member
Hi there,

I have recently ported netPanzer and pushed it to the repo.

The game is packaged with all extra maps and player flags I have found (I even made a Pandora flag, make sure you use it in your online battles :) . You can add more extras by putting files in  relevant appdata locations. Check out readme files.

I have also included the music I have found here. The original ogg files were recompressed to 80 kbps, saving 15 MB of the PND size. Noone complained about the music quality yet. Audiophiles can download the original 160kbps files and put them in appdata/netpanzer/sound/music.

The recent version requires 800x600 screen resolution, so the game is scaled down using notaz' SDL. It's hard to read the text despite my effort to tweak the built-in font ("a" and "e" letters are the worst). But once you figure out how to start a game, there's not much to read anyway, so the game is pretty playable, running at 50+ fps on my 1.1GHz unit.

I have recently discovered yet another fork of netPanzer which claims to support both 640x480 resolution and modern online servers. In fact it doesn't, and it's actually too new to connect to current online games.

Last edited by a moderator:
Heavy tank ready!  US tanks will destroy you all!   :D

A little lonely to play alone with no enemies though :)

Runs well enough.

Haven't tried it yet, but I have played Netpanzer in the past. Very important for gameplay is being able to fire while moving, this is done by shooting with the mouse while holding the ctrl key on a PC. Not sure if it will be possible to match the skill of someone playing on a regular PC with a Pandora. Netpanzer is more about action than strategy - lag or control issues will result in a certain defeat. 

What version have you ported? I hope you aren't using the source from 2002, if that is the case this will have major stability issues. The old Netpanzer code was very unstable only since 0.8 Netpanzer became stable enough. 

Here are folks playing: http://www.netpanzer.info/Server-Browser/ Not as much players as there used to be. 

Very important for gameplay is being able to fire while moving, this is done by shooting with the mouse while holding the ctrl key on a PC. 
This trick works on the pandora as well. Ctrl is on the right sholder button, and mouse clicks are done either with the nubs or with A/B buttons if you use ABMouse.

Played it for a few minutes and NP crashed. Before that the gameplay was not bad - controls are quite good for such a small screen and no - noticeable - lag. Not sure if it will be as enjoyable as on a larger screen with mouse control though. For a Pandora2Pandora game it will certainly be nice though.  

Played it for a few minutes and NP crashed. Before that the gameplay was not bad - controls are quite good for such a small screen and no - noticeable - lag. Not sure if it will be as enjoyable as on a larger screen with mouse control though. For a Pandora2Pandora game it will certainly be nice though.  
Could you post /tmp/pndrun_netpanzer.out (in case you bothered to collect it after the crash) and the logfile from the appdata/netpanzer/.netpanzer/ directory? Maybe you could replay the game until it crashes and collect both files afresh? Of course, if you discover a specific in-game action which triggers the crash, it's even better.

Sure if I play it again and crashes I will do that. Haven't tried it yet with an active swap file, so I will activate one next time. Maybe the lack of memory was the reason for the crash (CC).

Sure if I play it again and crashes I will do that. Haven't tried it yet with an active swap file, so I will activate one next time. Maybe the lack of memory was the reason for the crash (CC).
You can already send me the log from appdata/netpanzer/.netpanzer directory, there is a log per session which persists across reboots. You'll just have to find the right one (look at creation date/time).

Back