Neo Geo Pocket Color

whitestripes44

Still Fresh
Hey all,

Well, it's been a few months and I've gone from wanting the gp32 to wanting the zodiac to wanting the gp32 again, and finally, to where I am now. I've been checking out the NGPC lately, and it looks pretty sweet! In particular, I"m real excited at the possibilities of SNKvsCapcom, Sonic, and Metal Slug. Does anyone else own/have experience with this console?

It would be a lot cheaper than the GP32, even without FLU.. but, I may switch back. Does anyone know the status of a NGPC emulator on GP, if there is even one?

Later

It's a great handheld! Controls really rock because of the cool joystick. It has many great games and several not so great. It is, as i'm guessing you know, discontinued, but it still has some great games. I recommend that you get a slimline NGPC as it is much slimmer and looks better. The games for it are really great and have excellent gameplay, particulary SVC MOTM. This is a great handheld and I recommend it. These are games I recommend:

Biomotor Unitron
Card Fighters Clash
Dark Arms (great game but short)
Dynamite Slugger (only Jap but doesn't really matter)
Faselei!
King of Fighters R-2
Last Blade
Magical Drop Pocket
Metal Slug: 1st Mission
Metal Slug: 2nd Mission
Neo Turf Masters
Picture Puzzle
Puzzle Bobble Mini
Puzzle Link 2
SNK vs. Capcom Match of the Millennium
Sonic Pocket Adventure

Where do you plan on buying from?

there are 2 neogeopocket & colour emus for gp32, 1 of them, neopop afaik has been discontinued and was slow, neogp32 by thunderz has had 1 alpha released which was of decent speed, and is under development, I own the original console and it's a great little thing, it never really caught on though :(

It would be a lot cheaper than the GP32, even without FLU.. but, I may switch back. Does anyone know the status of a NGPC emulator on GP, if there is even one?
The're is one and it runs on ~20fps, no sound yet but ThunderZ might finish it when he has done his new 3d Engine.
The GP32 can easily emulate the NGPC on full speed so why would you get a NGPC?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a ngpc too. The controls are realy good!

Although i have only one game (match of the milenium) i enjoyd playing this more than my gba
(so u see: fast processor and high res gfx are not the most important things to have fun)
But since i have my gp i dont play with ngpc or gba.

i would recommend a gp (and a ngpc? :D)!

Azure said:
I recommend that you get a slimline NGPC as it is much slimmer and looks better
never heard of this slimline ngpc . Do u have some pics?

The slimine is 13% smaller, better battery life, louder speakers. You can tell if a NGPC is a slimline is it says Color on the upper right of the screen in cursive.
These are slimline NGPCs:
ngp_newtype.jpg

ngpcslim.jpg

ngpccont.jpg

ed_1.JPG

66_1.JPG

Compare these pics to a regular ngpc and you'll see the difference.
NCSX sells slimline NGPCs

If I DO get a ngpc, I will be getting it from eplayplay.com. Looks like an excellent site with very fair prices.

I'm interested in teh blue camo version, which I believe is slimline. I will also be buying Sonic, SNKvsCAPCOM MOTM, Pocket Tennis Color, and Metal Slug 2nd Mission. All of this will be a bit over $100.

The gp looks real nice as well, but I feel as if I'd enjoy rather having this, plus maybe a iRiver SlimX CD player (very very nice, thinnest player + FM radio + cheap and upgradable) for the same price as a non-FLU gp32 with smc's. Plus, there's a definite cool factor of having something that is truly as alternative as the neo geo (the GP is too, but it's a little different). And i absolutely love all sonic games, fighting games are kickass, same with action, and good tennis games can be ridiculously fun. I also have, for future purchases, some great stuff to look forward to.

I had one more question, if anyone knew this: I've been hearing some mixed things to do with both battery life and saving games. Are the game saves dependent on the batterys popped into the system? (kind of like how a palm-pilot will have all of its memory whiped out of it doesn't get recharged) And is there some battery inside the system that needs to be replaced after a while?

Thanks all. Go alt gaming!

Hi,
Have a look at Lik-Sang, they have quite a good deal on NGPCs
NGPC + 11 Games = $119.99 (£72.06)

I bought one a while back from them, but it had 13 games and was only £59.00

mccyril

ebgames in the states also sell the NeoGeo Pocket but it's branded as something else (can't remember the name specifically- something like "Handheld Console")

Basically it's a NGP repackaged with 6 games for 80 bucks

the games are (if I can remember)-

Metal Slug,
Turf Masters,
Samurai Showdown
MAtch of the Millenium
Pac Man
Tennis (I think)

You can also buy an "extension pack" of 4 games for 40 bucks (which includeds Sonic etc)

I noticed them above the Gamecube games the other day....
Tho' I'm tempted, I don't think I can go back to a non FLU handheld....

At Azure: Thx for the pix! (i'm not sure, but i think i HAVE a slimline ngpc. stupid me)

Whitestripes44 said:
I had one more question, if anyone knew this: I've been hearing some mixed things to do with both battery life and saving games. Are the game saves dependent on the batterys popped into the system? (kind of like how a palm-pilot will have all of its memory whiped out of it doesn't get recharged) And is there some battery inside the system that needs to be replaced after a while?

If ur talking about gp:
Everything is save on sm card. no "extra" battery for saving stuff (there is no stuff which could be saved)

If ur talking about ngpc:
There is an extra battery. this is because the ngpc has an inbuild clock which needs to powered all the time. but this has nothing to do with the save games. they are saved on the cardriges.
(if it is working in the same way as gb cardriges there is an additional battery in the cardrige which saves the stuff. my OLD gameboy games are still holding the saves, so this should be no problem [just wondered how long the battery is working])

If I DO get a ngpc, I will be getting it from eplayplay.com. Looks like an excellent site with very fair prices.

I'm interested in teh blue camo version, which I believe is slimline. I will also be buying Sonic, SNKvsCAPCOM MOTM, Pocket Tennis Color, and Metal Slug 2nd Mission. All of this will be a bit over $100.

The gp looks real nice as well, but I feel as if I'd enjoy rather having this, plus maybe a iRiver SlimX CD player (very very nice, thinnest player + FM radio + cheap and upgradable) for the same price as a non-FLU gp32 with smc's. Plus, there's a definite cool factor of having something that is truly as alternative as the neo geo (the GP is too, but it's a little different). And i absolutely love all sonic games, fighting games are kickass, same with action, and good tennis games can be ridiculously fun. I also have, for future purchases, some great stuff to look forward to.

Thanks all. Go alt gaming!
None of the ngpcs on eplayplay or slimline. I recommend you buy your NGPC from ncsx if you want a slimline. Eplayplay has decent prices for cartridge only games, if thats what you want.

Back