Neo Geo Aes/mvs Emulation

Phil

FAPPO!
Website
Visit site
I know it's probably been asked a million other times in a million other threads but I just want to know before I place my order for one of these babies...

Is AES/MVS emulation possible?

What I mean by that is, Is it definate that the GP2x won't be able to do it because of ram restrictions?

Or it's just going to be a tad harder to do than CD?

Cause it's sort of a deal breaker if it can't. CDs great and all, but comeon missing out of proper sound and Garou and Metal Slug 3 is too big a thing to let go.

And I didn't make this tread to get flamed. Which I know so many people here are fond of doing.

Eh, probably, as Rlyeh was working long long ago on trying neogeo emulation on the gp32, and now with 64 megs, there is a much better chance.

We will have to wait till HH (hardware hitting) firmware is released, as it will open up a lot more resources processor and ram wise, as it will directly talk to the hardware, no OS. This will make NeoGeo mvs much more likely.

Honestly, don't buy it if its a deal breaker, just wait and see. All the rest of us will be enjoying the ever growing library in the meantime. I can't wait till mine ships, just looking foward to Puzzle bobble, metal slug, king of fighters, and all the snes goodies.

I have no idea. It emulates the Neo Geo CD pretty well right now. Not right speed and without sound. But very fast in progress. NK is doing a great job.
It's just that I don't know if a Neo Geo CD requires more than the Neo Geo AES/MVS.

Well, the problem being the gigantic size of NG roms. They simply won't fit to the 64MB of 2X, of course minus the mem the emu needs...

So some sort of streaming might be required...

Well, the problem being the gigantic size of NG roms. They simply won't fit to the 64MB of 2X, of course minus the mem the emu needs...

Now *this* is the thing I can't understand.

How come Neo Geo Roms are playable on PCs with only 64 meg of Ram, but not on the GP2x?

I used to play them all the time on my ye olde 400mhz P2.

Is it that they are loaded on to ram zipped and then unzipped on the fly?

Any clarification would be just lovely.

Last edited by a moderator:
At the present moment we only really have 32 megs of ram not 64. Anything < 32 megs might have a chance but more than that and its out of the question.

theres an NeoGeo ACS emu for the dreamcast anounced, the first alpha plays games very well and with dynamic loading, because of the RAM limitations.
sounds incredible to have the neogeo emulated on a machine like the dreamcast.

theres an NeoGeo ACS emu for the dreamcast anounced, the first alpha plays games very well and with dynamic loading, because of the RAM limitations.
sounds incredible to have the neogeo emulated on a machine like the dreamcast.
Oh shit. I checked DCemu. My pants just exploded.

Consider this biatch bought.

This has been bounced around quite a few times and it’s very important to me as well.

If you look at the Final Burn blog (http://www.finalburn.com/blog/)
on September 20, 2005, Dave, the author of Final Burn says:

”Dave” said:
Still busybusybusy with work, but I did have time to upload the current Pocket PC version of PicoDrive in the mobile section, ready for porting to the Gizmondo (if we can actually dev for it!) and the GP2X one day too!

To me that’s a pretty good sign as it indicates that Dave is aware of the GP2X and has at least thought about porting Final Burn to it.

From a “horse power” standpoint the AES/MVS hardware is actually EASIER to emulate then the NeoGeoCD AS LONG AS the game’s ROMs are smaller then the amount of RAM available to the emulator. This is because the NeoGeoCD has all the same hardware as the AES/MVS to emulate PLUS the emulator will be tasked of decoding the mp3 audio if you want in game music. On the GP2X it looks like the cut off line is currently around ~40mb as that seems to be the largest amount of RAM available to a program. (the rest is wasted by being statically assigned to the graphics processor, or is eaten by Linux and the menu’s overhead). So I am very confident that we’ll see emulation of those games shortly. Now as for games larger then ~40mb, it’s completely possible, and completely a pain in the ass. Emulating these games will require direct access to the hardware (which is being worked on in the form of HH) and a sophisticated caching engine to handle keeping the right part of the ROM in RAM. As for how this would work see this post by me:

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=21676&hl=

Bottom Line – I would wait if it’s a deal break as nothing is certain, but the GP2X can defiantly handle emulating a AES/MVS if somebody wants to write a custom emulator.

Nuh-Uh 64meg, man.

Nuh-Uh ;) 64 Megs RAM in TOTAL, but currently, due to something about the way Linux works, one cannot access the whole 64 Megs. Which is why you need to wait for HH mode. I'm afraid i can't tell you what the restrictions by Linux are exactly, but I think they are mainly because Linux itself already takes up several megs of RAM, and then because of some stuff about how Linux works... can't be more specific than that, but I'm sure that you get the general idea :)

EDIT: beaten to it by a scant minute, and by someone who knew more about the problem too ;)

It's not Linux’s fault per say – more the incredibly crappy GPH implementation of Linux. I would expect that once GPH release the source code to their modified kernel the RAM usage will clean up a lot.

It's not Linux’s fault per say – more the incredibly crappy GPH implementation of Linux. I would expect that once GPH release the source code to their modified kernel the RAM usage will clean up a lot.

But we'll have to wait for that.

If that is all you want the GP2X for, you'd probably be better advised to get a Pocket PC of some sort. It is uncertain whether or not something will happen for the 2X, but it's quite likely it will.

IF I cna play some of those earlier neogoe games in fulls speed w sound I'll be happy

drool...

KOF94

i think in some time (it will take a bit for sure) you can play those even with sound.
the neocd emu is allready almost fullspeed without sound.

The best bet would be to use Cyclone ASM core that has been massively debugged by Reesy and Reesy's DRZ80 ASM routeens as well. Without ASM, Neo Geo is not too likely to run well with sound. ASM and some help from the second core is the best bet for getting decent Neo Geo emulation (FS 1-2, WITH sound) on the GP2X. DrMD runs great on a 144 MHz GP32 and the NeoGeo is basically a buffed up Megadrive so that type of code on the GP2X would be the best approach IMHO.

perhaps even better than FS 1-2 when running at full 266Mhz, but only time will tell. a good asm core like cyclone will for make a huge speed boost

Now *this* is the thing I can't understand.

How come Neo Geo Roms are playable on PCs with only 64 meg of Ram, but not on the GP2x?

I used to play them all the time on my ye olde 400mhz P2.

Is it that they are loaded on to ram zipped and then unzipped on the fly?

Any clarification would be just lovely.
There's a nifty thing called harddisk-drive on your old PC, which can be used as a swap. GP2X has no such thing. And no, SD card cannot really be used as swap, as an SD card has finite numbers of write cycles. In hundreds of thousands, if not millions, but in swap-use, those would wear out way fast...

But like was said, some sort of dynamic streaming thing would work, I'm not sure Dreamcast has HDD either.

Back