Need specs for the barrel jack adapter

ssokolow

The barrel jack adapter included with one of my Pandora chargers broke. (Part of the plastic ring at the end of the barrel plug on the adapter cable broke off. It still works, but it fits loosely.)

Can anyone tell me the dimensions of the connectors so I can eBay up a replacement? I wasn't able to get any PandoraWiki search results.

(While I'm at it, I'll also probably buy a replacement for the still-working one that came with my second adapter. I prefer not to have a rigid adapter acting as a lever and placing unnecessary torque on the Pandora's charging port.)

IMG_6162.JPG

Buy a PSP Charger instead of wasting your time with the Pandora one or if you absolutely must... the specs are the same as the PSP one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Buy a PSP Charger instead of wasting your time with the Pandora one or if you absolutely must... the specs are the same as the PSP one.
Why would I replace a perfectly good $20+ PSU when all I need to replace is a $1-2 plug adapter?

(And, for the record, I already have two Pandora PSUs and a PSP charger. This is the one that stays on my desk while the other Pandora one and the PSP one stay in my Pandora and Sony PRS-505 travel bags.)

4mm Ø

1.7mm inside

and 9.5mm long
Actually, I was hoping for the dimensions of both ends of the adapter. Would these be the right size?

Sony PRS-505
Awesome.  I have a 700 and I love it.  I use my Pandora charger for it now.  I don't have a bag or anything, just a nice third party dead animal skin cover thing.  Since I am already off topic:

How long have you had it?

How often do you use it?

Have you had to change the battery?

If still using the original battery, how long do you go between charges?

I abandoned mine for a year or 2, and have been reading more lately.  It is just much easier on my eyes than an LCD when trying to just read text, especially when tired, or if I have already been staring at a monitor all day.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled discussion, already in progress. 

Sony PRS-505
Awesome.  I have a 700 and I love it.  I use my Pandora charger for it now.  I don't have a bag or anything, just a nice third party dead animal skin cover thing.  Since I am already off topic:

How long have you had it?

How often do you use it?

Have you had to change the battery?

If still using the original battery, how long do you go between charges?

I abandoned mine for a year or 2, and have been reading more lately.  It is just much easier on my eyes than an LCD when trying to just read text, especially when tired, or if I have already been staring at a monitor all day.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled discussion, already in progress. 
1. I'm not entirely sure, but some time in 2008-2009. I considered the PRS-700 and dismissed it for being less crisp (due to the touch overlay) and lacking smudge-avoiding physical buttons.

2.1. I used to use it a fair bit (never as much as used novels or reading fanfiction online... but still a lot since "as much as" would mean reading at least a novel's worth of text per day)

2.2. Given that my eyes don't strain very readily, the Pandora has mostly replaced it because the Pandora gets much better battery life when playing MP3s and can also play YouTube vids and SNES games and browse the "Add Quote" page for my intranet quote archival tool. ( I've mainly been lending the PRS-505 to my brothers lately.)

3. I haven't needed to change the battery... though I did make sure it was possible to DIY that before I bought it.

4. I bought mine "used in like-new condition", so I'm not sure if it's using the original battery, but it is still using the battery it had in 2009. I'm not sure I've ever let it run down while in active use, but it'll go for several days of heavy use, at least.

It is noticeably less sharp.  I got the 700 for the built in side lighting.  There are a handful of buttons that let you do most things.  The only thing I usually use the touchscreen for is changing font size and notes/highlighting.  I got mine around the same time you got yours, and am still on my original battery, and it seems like it is still doing good, but I don't really keep track.  I was just wondering, since it seems most people have have moved on to newer, more efficient devices with better specs at a lower price and not as nice feeling/looking (they seem less robust).

*nod* The newsprint-like quality of the PRS-505 is about the worst I'm willing to go. If I need lighting, I've already got clip-on lights that it can share with my "hard to see what color the wall is painted"-size collection of used print novels.

I'm generally pragmatic and frugal when it comes to upgrading tech (the only reason I have 16GiB of DDR3 RAM is because my old mobo with 4GiB of DDR2 died after about six years), so I'm not exactly representative of most people but, hey, we're on the Pandora/Pyra forums. None of us are representative of most people. :p

That aside, I would actually be somewhat wary of upgrading. Yes, it'd be nice to have a more featureful device with faster screen updates, but I'm not sure it'd be worth the pain of tracking down something as robust and free of the "must create an account with us or it won't work" as the PRS-505.

The newsprint-like quality of the PRS-505 is about the worst I'm willing to go.
Hmmm, that is what I consider the PRS-700 to be like.  Maybe my newspapers suck. :lol:

If I need lighting, I've already got clip-on lights that it can share with my "hard to see what color the wall is painted"-size collection of used print novels.
I needed something that would allow me to use a variety of file formats that this family of devices delivered.  The biggest concern was that it was somewhat durable, since it would get squished at times.  I also had to travel as light as possible, and already had a lot of other stuff that was required.  I did have a flashlight with me at all times (I usually do) but I didn't want to burn through those batteries if I didn't need to, since I was sometimes in locations where it was hard for me to get replacements.  The side lighting is less than ideal, but it worked for my needs at the time.  I could have just read on a laptop and not have to lug around one more thing, but after looking at a monitor for 18-20 hours I usually didn't feel like reading on one.  It also helped me carry technical books with me, which I think was my main excuse for it.  I might make a different choice now, but I don't know what is currently on the market, and I still like these models.  At present I have no need to replace it.  At the time it was a close call between the two, and, after checking them both out in person, I decided that the light was worth the loss in clarity for where and when I would be using it.  Edit:  I actually prefer reading real books, and have a decent sized library.

I'm generally pragmatic and frugal when it comes to upgrading tech
Same here, and for me that was a big purchase.  When I was young I wanted all the latest bleeding edge stuff, but we didn't have the money for much of anything usually.  When I was finally able to purchase stuff I found that good quality was more important to me, and that I would rather spend my money on something that would last, even if it wasn't the latest and greatest.  Now it probably seems like I am on the trailing edge, but it is too expensive to buy new stuff constantly, especially when I am comfortable with older stuff, and I can do what I need to with it.  What matters most, I guess, is how you use what you have.  Sure, I could be one of those people who treats my electronics (although this also applies to other things) as if they were disposable, and drop a lot of money every year or two to have whatever is popular at the time so that I can play some forgettable game, and be irritating to others in public by listening to music blasting from my fone.  Instead I prefer to pick what will be the most useful and valuable to me, with a focus on being productive, and often I will make sure my favorite games are available, and I will make my own music (is that Cass Elliot singing to me?).  No clue where I am going with this.  I am cheap and picky, there ya go.

so I'm not exactly representative of most people but, hey, we're on the Pandora/Pyra forums. None of us are representative of most people.
That is what makes it so great here.  We all know what we like, and want something different than most.

That aside, I would actually be somewhat wary of upgrading. Yes, it'd be nice to have a more featureful device with faster screen updates, but I'm not sure it'd be worth the pain of tracking down something as robust and free of the "must create an account with us or it won't work" as the PRS-505.
During my initial window shopping phase those considerations are how I cut out a couple of the more well known options.  If you do need to replace it you shouldn't have to pay too much for another PRS-505.  If there is something that might be better, if you are willing to go with something a little older you can probably pick it up cheaper, and not lose out too much if you don't like it.  I think there were some higher end readers (as in 2 or 3 times what the Sony ones cost when new) back when these were selling that might be nice to try out.

Hmmm, that is what I consider the PRS-700 to be like.  Maybe my newspapers suck. :lol:
Point. The PRS-505 is more like one of my used novels that was printed in the '70s and has had plenty of time to yellow. It's on the high-quality end of what newsprint can reach while the PRS-700 is more like typical newspapers.

I did have a flashlight with me at all times (I usually do) but I didn't want to burn through those batteries if I didn't need to, since I was sometimes in locations where it was hard for me to get replacements.
I've got a clip-on book light that takes AAA batteries and, if you put NiMH rechargeables in it, it can charge them off USB without need for an external charger.

I actually prefer reading real books, and have a decent sized library.
I'm not sure what I prefer, but I own over 1000 books (mostly stacked two layers deep on the shelves) because I like to actually have the things I own and an eBook is a wisp of digital nothingness.

If I had the space to burn, I'd probably have a huge collection of boxed games too. (As is, I just make sure I own them DRM-free via a site like GOG.com)

During my initial window shopping phase those considerations are how I cut out a couple of the more well known options.  If you do need to replace it you shouldn't have to pay too much for another PRS-505.  If there is something that might be better, if you are willing to go with something a little older you can probably pick it up cheaper, and not lose out too much if you don't like it.  I think there were some higher end readers (as in 2 or 3 times what the Sony ones cost when new) back when these were selling that might be nice to try out.
I generally operate on the assumption that I've chosen my hardware well enough to survive until I want more speed or features. Motherboards are probably the only parts that tend to defy that expectation.

(Most of the parts in my desktop PC are either original 2007 stock or addons rather than replacements. Aside from the mobo/RAM/CPU combo, the video card was the only upgrade and only because I didn't have the tools and parts to replace failed capacitors on a GeForce 7600GS. My current Asus ENGT430 uses solid polymer capacitors and was explicitly marketed on longevity-oriented design. The only reason I'm considering replacing it with a 750 is so I could add a third monitor.)

The PRS-505 is more like one of my used novels that was printed in the '70s and has had plenty of time to yellow.
Another thing I like is how books age differently.  One of my dictionaries that spent most of the last 60+ years in a temperature controlled library in the desert is doing pretty good.  I have a small history book from the 20s or 30s that is in better condition than a lot of books that are only 20 or 30 years old.  This is surprising to me since I think they are from a time when paper was acidic.

mostly stacked two layers deep on the shelves
Yep, same here.  I really need some more bookcases.  And walls.

I like to actually have the things I own and an eBook is a wisp of digital nothingness.
I completely understand, and I feel very much the same.  Books are particularly special to me.  Maybe it is because I can't look at a disc or tape and appreciate what it contains directly.  Many of the books I have are public domain, and even then I still own a physical copy and have it as an ebook or other file.  If I am using it for reference it helps preserve the physical copy, which is nice.  

Game cartridges are another thing I really like.  They are much less fragile than magnetic or optical media and are a part of the experience for me.  I will play the games I love however I can get them, but loading that cartridge into the console and using the controller I used as a kid is still appealing.

My current Asus ENGT430 uses solid polymer capacitors and was explicitly marketed on longevity-oriented design.
I didn't know they marketed things like this to consumers.  I will keep that in mind.  Bad caps suck...or blow, I guess.

Game cartridges are another thing I really like.  They are much less fragile than magnetic or optical media and are a part of the experience for me.  I will play the games I love however I can get them, but loading that cartridge into the console and using the controller I used as a kid is still appealing.
*nod* Sadly, my N64 likes to reboot and I no longer have my SNES. I do, however, have various controllers (some replica, some genuine) and X-to-USB adapters for use with my emulators.

(USB-native NES replica, couple of SNES replicas with adapter, genuine N64 with adapter, couple of genuine PS2s with adapter, and one each of genuine PS3, XBox360, and Wii controllers. I'm still kicking myself for not picking up a couple of Genesis controllers when the local shop had them at $5 but, when I can find some non-replicas, I'll have to dig out some DE9 connectors and an ATMega and build an adaptor.)

On a more hopeful note, one of these days, I'll really have to save up and buy a floppy emulator, PS/2 mouse adapter, and composite output cable for the perfectly good Atari 520STFM (with high-res B&W monitor) that I grabbed several years ago on big garbage day.

I didn't know they marketed things like this to consumers.  I will keep that in mind.  Bad caps suck...or blow, I guess.
I encountered similar marketing for motherboards maybe a year ago when I helped my brother custom-build his own PC. It seems to be bleed-over from overlocking-oriented parts into "not overclocking, but I still want my build to last" market segments.

(For example, if you look at Gigabyte's gaming motherboards on a site like NewEgg, they're advertising things like solid-state Nippon Chemi-Con or Nichicon-branded capacitors, double-thick copper traces for more reliable intra-mobo power delivery and heat removal, and a customized glass fabric PCB for better long-term humidity resistance.)

I don't have the box for my ENGT430 at the moment, but I remember the "designed for robustness" part of the features list including polymer caps, a heatsink with airflow optimized to minimize dust accumulation, and a high-reliability fan.

Related to eReaders, does anyone know an eInk screen which can you use like a kind of external wireless screen for a smartphone or Linux computer?

Maybe I should try coding something like this for my PRS-T1 (really crappy Android-worsened-by-Sony-OS on there). I guess I would need to unlock it, see whether I can flash a decent OS and hack together a server which just displays any bitmap files which are sent to it (screw security or anything, don't care in that case).

Why would I replace a perfectly good $20+ PSU when all I need to replace is a $1-2 plug adapter?

(And, for the record, I already have two Pandora PSUs and a PSP charger. This is the one that stays on my desk while the other Pandora one and the PSP one stay in my Pandora and Sony PRS-505 travel bags.)

4mm Ø

1.7mm inside

and 9.5mm long
Actually, I was hoping for the dimensions of both ends of the adapter. Would these be the right size?
For anyone else who finds themself in my situation, the answer is yes. I just received the two adapters I ordered from that eBay results list and they fit and work perfectly.

Back