Need some good suggestions for a new mp3 player.

Moridian

Still Fresh
My old mp3 player have reached the point where I have had to use tape to hold it together so Ive figured its time to get a replacement. Its one of my most important survival tools at work :p

What Im looking for is a player that:

• Have alot of space. 60gb+ prefered.
  • Good sound quality
  • Long battery lifetime before needing to recharge
  • Affordable
  • Not an Apple product (Is a given I guess)
  • Solid enough to take a few accidental drops on a concrete floor would be a big plus.

I need a new one too, it should read fullSD card (or 2.5'' HDD) and .ogg and should have a high audio quality.

Apple is out of the question. Exchangable battery would be grand.

Mybe the New Creative Zen XFI 3 would be a option, but its only 16 gb which isnt that much, but it reads also SD Cards (or Microsd)..

Its not that big, and it have physikal buttos for play, pause, next, prevoius, and the vollume..

http://us.creative.com/p/mp3player/zen-x-fi3

First it was in my further selection, but its has only 16 gb..

now i have a ipod nano 7, which fits perfektly my needs, but as you all dont want something from apple, its nothing for you..

Mybe the New Creative Zen XFI 3 would be a option, but its only 16 gb which isnt that much, but it reads also SD Cards (or Microsd)..

Its not that big, and it have physikal buttos for play, pause, next, prevoius, and the vollume..

http://us.creative.com/p/mp3player/zen-x-fi3

First it was in my further selection, but its has only 16 gb..

now i have a ipod nano 7, which fits perfektly my needs, but as you all dont want something from apple, its nothing for you..
Wow, the rating is incredibly bad:

http://www.amazon.de/Creative-MP3-Player-TFT-Display-Bluetooth-schwarz/dp/B005X6LM1C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1391346406&sr=8-1&keywords=ZEN+X-Fi3

The iriver is really very good. I have one and someone I know had his for 10yrs or so and still going :)
I know, too bad they are not made anymore.

Ipod killed most if its superior competition.

Pyra needs a belt-bag and the shoulder buttons should be mapped to the basic functions in some music player.

I still wonder, why there isn't a 2.5hdd docking station music player or a good SD-based player around,

maybe smartphones killed this idea just like they killed PDAs.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Klumpen: I just bought an iriver off ebay (newer model for £28 inc p&p :D ) so you can still get them. Though you're generally looking at paying £80+

@Klumpen: I just bought an iriver off ebay (newer model for £28 inc p&p :D ) so you can still get them. Though you're generally looking at paying £80+
Which model represents these wishes?

I need a new one too, it should read fullSD card (or 2.5'' HDD) and .ogg and should have a high audio quality.

Apple is out of the question. Exchangable battery would be grand.

After looking around abit theres very few devices like that around anymore. Much to do with the mp3 player market being in a decline because people rather just use their smartphones than to carry an extra device with them.

At the moment Im concidering just getting a cheap android phone and turn it into a mp3 player with RockBox and stick a 64gb microsd in it. While not the best option its one of the cheaper options for the amount of space I get.

cowon, cowon, and cowon. nothing else needs to be looked at. if youre a cheap bastard, sansa clip+, preferably with a fiio portable audio amp, like e7 or maybe one of the newer ones

cowon, cowon, and cowon. nothing else needs to be looked at.
Too expensive because of the video output, if there were pure audio players from this company, they are not available in my country or anywhere near it.

Last edited by a moderator:
cowon, cowon, and cowon. nothing else needs to be looked at. if youre a cheap bastard, sansa clip+, preferably with a fiio portable audio amp, like e7 or maybe one of the newer ones
The Cowon looked nice but gonna be a cheap bastard and go for the sansa clip+ with a 64gb card. Found a sansa fairly cheap online so it wouldnt be that much of a disaster if it took a beating to much while working.

At work I use my Pandora... but that's probabl not the suggestion you were looking for!
Not the suggestion I was looking for, but one I was expecting :p The Pandora is abit to big and clunky, and I wouldnt want to risk my precious Pandora to use it at my job.

Sansa looks good, I just hoped, that there is something with a fullSD-slot, so I can use my old 32gb cards.

Well, there obviously isn't.

Sansa looks good, I just hoped, that there is something with a fullSD-slot, so I can use my old 32gb cards.

Well, there obviously isn't.
Through my search for a new player I think the Cowon d20 was the only "newer" one I saw that still supports them. So its either that one or find someone selling older model mp3 players if you still want to use your old cards.

go for the sansa clip+ with a 64gb card.
I really like my Clip+, and can recommend it to anyone whos primary interest is in a practical device that concentrates on its main function: playing music => no useless cover art, easily usable under every condition through buttons: blind usage, with gloves on, in a special water bag in an indoor pool, etc.But there are some down sides too:

- Sandisk has a horrible quality control, you may have to rma it one or two times, before you get a good one, but if you get a good one, this thing will bear abuse for a long time (but you should not put it in a washer)

- getting the MicroSD-Card to work can be fiddly

- while it is great to have a real mass storage mode, the player recreates its database every time after a connection was made with a device - which can take a while, especially if you use a large (filled) MicroSD

Some things can be circumvented by putting Rockbox on it, but the button control scheme that Rockbox utilizes is inferior in my opinion.

Got my Sansa clip+ and a 64gb microSD today. And it seems very promising. While it officially only supports up to 32gb microsd cards I had no problem with the 64gb card when I formatted it to Fat32.

And I ended up installing RockBox on it, cause while the official firmware have a better menu layout, just the pain of having the database rebuilt everytime you connect it to something alone make it worthwhile. I also loved all the extra options for sound control, etc. So in my opinion the pros of Rockbox way outweigh the cons.

So hopefully mine wont break anytime soon and Ill keep it far away from the washing machine :p

Back