NEAT: Clockwork GameShell + Godot review.

Robert Taylor

Very Active Member

and

Just found this today, I guess it's been around for a while. Kind of neat to see what people are toying around with. For me the added features of the Pyra are really important, especially the keyboard.

I like that they're now working on a device with a 16:6 screen. It's meant to mimic working on two 4:3 monitors in the '90s.

It's clearly still not wide enough though. We need 16:4, for that three monitor feeling.

Slightly misleading name; that's not built around anything really resembling a Raspberry Pi, although that might not be a bad thing especially as a battery powered device.

FWIW, it doesn't seem to be available on any european amazon sites yet, but that's what you get for living in the middle of time I guess.

There was a thread about the GameShell here from 2017 to 2018.

As I mentioned back then, the battery is pretty weak. 1050 mAh for an estimated three hours. Their website says 1200 mAh now, which is a minor improvement. For contrast, Pyra's is 6000 mAh.

The DevTerm, that ultrawide device by the same company, seems to be taking a different approach to the battery. Bring your own 18650 rechargables. Potentially 3000 mAh, but I wonder whether having to supply your own batteries in 2021 is retro or just cheap. Certainly saves them loads on shipping.

Back