My Wiz Has Spongy B Button?

DRED

Still Fresh
I Just bought my wiz and realize that the B button is a bit spongy. Its not like the other buttons which spring up quickly. It does work but it causes me some difficulty when using it in games. I noticed it quickly when I was missing my firing.

I'm not too happy about this as you know controls are important, it does work but it works like a worn out button or like a worn out key on the keyboard, it works but is just annoying to use. what should I do? Not even sure how the warranty works with these things.

I'd personally like to fix it myself but I guess I would need a new spring or what ever makes the key pop up.

What would you guys do?

1) Live with it, and reassign that key to other keys.
2) Warranty it?
3) Return or exchange it? I bought it from thinkgeek.com with a major credit card.
4) Fix it yourself? IF this is possible and if it will void warranty?
5) Call wiz manufacturer up? Is this even possible?

I don't even know what the warranty is on this device.

Personally i would ask thinkgeek if i could fix it myself. It sounds like the keymat (if there is one) is a little out of place and just needs to be "popped" back in position. They will probably say no, in which case you need to return it under warranty.

so, 5

I think the warranty depends on where you are from, or where you bought it from, but it should at least be 1 year.

I think you may have a different issue but I found the design of the contact pad targets on the PCB is not good. The carbon pads are small and the plated "combs" on the PCB are too big and do not have enough "teeth". I found this when I was doing my d-pad mod.

pad.png

I just noticed that I too have the same problem. The B button needs too much force to make it contact and it even makes a squishy sound. I have had it for a few days and have only recently really started playing with it.

So, your not alone and I have submitted a ticket to GP2XStore. I'm not going to open it up yet and I was going to wait until it was out of warranty to do the D-Pad Mod.

Needless to say I am pretty pissed. I love what I have seen so far but am not going to except the unresponsive control.

I hope that it can be fixed fairly quickly. We'll see.

Hm. The B button seems to be a bit different from the others indeed. E.g. I can press every button at the very outer edge (from the outside) with my finger nail. The B button can't be pressed down like that, however. During gameplay this doesn't seem to matter though. My thumb rests in the middle and I press the buttons from the inside.

I only noticed this small detail, because B is the the SD card button and if I press this one, the Wiz typically rests on the table and I don't push the button with my thumb.

So if I receive a new one will the B button be the same? Pressing it from it's outer edge barely registers unless I press hard.

Please can someone respond. I need to know if I'm being over critical. :/

My B button appears to work fine. although my right direction button squeaks sometimes but i don't notice it with headphones on.

xXJackXx said:
My B button appears to work fine. although my right direction button squeaks sometimes but i don't notice it with headphones on.

Thanks, I will send it in. I just would hate it if they don't see it as defective but even just navigating the menu it sometimes takes a couple presses before it registers.

Thanks again.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know, double post but I received my Wiz back from GP2xstore(very quickly I might add) and guess what!?

The B button is exactly the same. Fairly unresponsive and not springy at all!

Honestly wtf are the chances of that? I'm fairly certain they didn't give me the same one back. I don't know what to do now. I'm disappointed to say the least.

Send it back again.. I know it's frustrating but right now I have a Wiz that I havn't been able to use yet because it's defective. If you're not satisfied send it back for a replacement while it's still under warranty. I know I'll get good mileage from mine when I get one that works!

Send it back again.. I know it's frustrating but right now I have a Wiz that I havn't been able to use yet because it's defective. If you're not satisfied send it back for a replacement while it's still under warranty. I know I'll get good mileage from mine when I get one that works!

Xed said:

Thanks Xed for the advice but I sat down and really played some button pressing intensive games like Joust and some SHMUPS and the button does seem to work a lot better then the one I returned. In the post above aho mentions the same thing happening. I just have a sinking feeling that if I return it again I will receive another with the same problem. I know they didn't just send me back the same one because the one I returned made a distinct clicking sound of very loose buttons when I gently shook it.

Thanks again for your reply,
CM

Last edited by a moderator:
Back