My net buddies are trying to talk me out of getting Pyra.

Well Locust are a mess to deal with, I'd just wait until you have the Pyra, lord over them as if the Pyra was better than sex, show all the cool things it can do, just generally rub it into their faces. Make them jealous with how much you enjoy using it. That kind of thing.

For my friends, my Pandora was just an "expensive Nintendo DS cheap clone", before it arrived...

...then, after I told and show them how different it was and how many things I was able to do with it, they just considered it an "expensive Nintendo DS cheap clone"...

...at some point I also thought they were telling this to make me angry, but wasn't that, they really weren't seeing any differences from an NDS... no matter what...

So, don't mind your friends, and keep it for yourself... (No one of them knows that I'm waiting for a Pyra... and luckily this time no one is asking every week with a giggly face if my new NDS clone is arrived or if they stole my money...)

Dear JDTAY,

after research done talking to your local locust groups, I have come to the conclusion that it will not be easy to summon the locust. For details about the why not, see video:

As for the waste of money... translate the price of 1 Pyra with the amount of pizza you can buy.

Your local Pizza is sold for 6 dollars each, so that is roughly 100 pizza's you could get. Roughly 2 pizza's a week instead of a Pyra... or 10 pizza's a day for 2 months (TM).

As for me... I search for food inside bins to lower my Engels index, and thus, save some money (which promptly went to paying taxes... sigh...)

Last edited:
I feel you are an interesting person, tell us more about your life.

Interesting? I don't really know about that. My life is mostly just pizza, games, and programming just enough to talk about it.

I did get my competency restored about two weeks ago. Now I can do all the legal things. Want to be in my will? >_>

Reactions: rSl
I haven't watched the above video, however my understanding is that locusts are just grasshoppers that are too densely populated, then they undergo some changes and start swarming. If this is accurate, maybe talk to a bunch of grasshopper farmers about acquiring massive quantities of grasshoppers, then put them all together until the swarming starts. Gather them all up in boxes that can't be eaten by the grasshoppers, make sure to include plenty of air holes, and ship them to your friends. It would be even better if you had a way for the boxes to open on their own after arrival.

Locusts are mostly found in tropical climates, it's a breed of grasshopper that happens to migrate in seasonal changes!

I got my info from a documentary looking at the biblical plagues of Egypt (it was pretty interesting, and showed how the order they are listed in makes logical sense based on the culture and a natural series of events). I figured I had misunderstood based on what Wally said, so I read the intro of the locust article of most accurate encyclopedia in the world, Wikipedia, and it said
Locusts are certain species of short-horned grasshoppers in the family Acrididae that have a swarming phase. These insects are usually solitary, but under certain circumstances become more abundant and change their behaviour and habits, becoming gregarious. There is no taxonomic distinction between locust and grasshopper species; the basis for the definition is whether a species forms swarms under intermittently suitable conditions.
I didn't bother with the rest, because I will waste a few hours reading random stuff, and it doesn't matter.

Wally is right, they aren't just any ol' grasshoppers, so make sure you get the right kind. Additionally, make sure you have plenty of food for them to make sure they are big and strong when they get to your friends (and it might help boost their numbers, which would make tropical, as Wally said, or possibly subtropical regions an ideal place to make locusts, and NC seems like it should be good enough. Also Australia looks like it should be a decent place to make them, too.).
[doublepost=1487564462,1487563939][/doublepost]Bah, I read more anyway. Turns out that Wally was (probably) talking about a particular variety:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Migratory_locust
Also, Australia is indeed a good place for locusts:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_plague_locust
Locusts look cooler than grasshoppers (but I remember that from the thing I watched):
DesertLocust.jpeg

I see the pyra as a mini sized laptop, not as a gaming device. This is an other price class.
The reasons why i want it is because of the faster webbrowsing (compared to my 600MHz pandy), the backlight keyboard, the fancy mobile stuff and the (for me) better operating system.
An iPhone is also waste of money but the people just want to have it.

For me, the community is a big part of the Pandora and Pyra. That is where these devices came from and what keeps them going. Without the community the Pandora would be a lot less valuable to me, and I am sure there is a lot to come for the Pyra.

Ignoring the community, the Pyra is still more my type of device, from the OS to being designed to let me inside, and with many choices related to making it more usable for me (dual SD slots!). I am sure Windows devices are more useful to most people, and most people probably don't care about things that are important to me. Gaming is a secondary use of the Pyra for me. Even with the stuff from GPD, the Pyra is better for me, and not just because I am emotionally invested in it. I have already recommended the Win to a couple people, and I think the Pocket might be a good choice for a lot of people. I do wish some of these had additional hardware (probably only useful for a handful of people), but the usb ports should help with that...now I am wondering if any of the serial adapters out there will work for me.

They say it's a waste of money
For my friends, my Pandora was just an "expensive Nintendo DS cheap clone", before it arrived...
...then, after I told and show them how different it was and how many things I was able to do with it, they just considered it an "expensive Nintendo DS cheap clone"...
...at some point I also thought they were telling this to make me angry, but wasn't that, they really weren't seeing any differences from an NDS... no matter what...
So, don't mind your friends, and keep it for yourself... (No one of them knows that I'm waiting for a Pyra... and luckily this time no one is asking every week with a giggly face if my new NDS clone is arrived or if they stole my money...)
I just had a friend tell my how much better the JXD Win 10 handheld is. He just doesn't get it.
An iPhone is also waste of money but the people just want to have it.
This is why I don't have friends.

"X is better than Y. Why are you buying Y?" usually deciphers to "X fits my needs and I don't give a damn/don't know about your preferences, but I'm sure they're dumb/wrong anyway."

Kind of related: I have at least one discussion about game controller vs mouse+keyboard every month. The end result is always "use whatever, as long as you have fun playing games" :)

They say it's a waste of money,...
Hahaha..lol.. that say the Guys with the "Iphone" or another expensive Mobile Phones. ;)
Maybe they have new Models without an Headphone connector.

YOU decide what you want and not by telling others where are not realy informed about Pandora/Pyra :)

With the Pyra you can do so much more Things against a normal mobile Phone.
Speed is not only the Importantest Thing.

-you can Type Messages faster as your Friends with a REAL Hardware Keyboard
-you have a real Linux without any restrictions and can use nearly all Emulators you want
-with a real Gaming Controllment.

Emulators on a Touchscreen do not realy make much fun.

And when their Phone is outdated and they must buy every Year/second Year a new one..
..then you buy simply a new CPU Board for your Pyra with a newer CPU and GPU :happy:

The Pyra can be used as Tricorder with its Sensors:
it also adds GPS, a 6-axis digital compass, a pressure-, humidity- and gas -sensor.

So much more Posibilities with the Pyra against a "normal" Phone.
example:
Just connect your Sata HDD with REAL Sata and you can do Video Editing with Linux Software ProjectX whenever you want.

The Case of the Pyra is this Time made of the stablest Plastic ever:
Much more Stable as the Pandoras Case and most Mobile Phone Cases ;)

...and YOU decide what YOU want :D

Last edited:
Back