My Left Nub Just Died......Nnnnooooooo!

Jumpman

Advanced Member
Well, I can finally say, I now need to return my Pandora for repairs. My left nub wont recenter, it just goes in the direction you last moved, and seems to be completely dead.

My question is what is the current situation for nub repair? Do I wait until the new nubs are complete before I return my unit? Once I do return it, will my right nub also be replaced? I don't want to receive it back, and then 1 month later my right nub goes DOA!

I don't know if this has been discussed at length elsewhere, but I couldn't find it. I just don't want to hassle the girls right now, if there is nothing that can be done until a later date. Any info is appreciated.

Chris

I think it would be nice for Open Pandora Team to declare a policy here in some regard on nubs dying on first gen units, nubs that want to be replaced on one nubbers sold to jump que (smart people, nubs are not needed for what I use my Pandora for), and people wanting backups for themselves.

While I feel for the guy on Ebay who bought a unit with a half dead nub, I also feel that person doesn't deserve a working nub if that unit was sold to the Ebay seller as a one nubber who jumped que. Things like this are while the policy should be here to read.

Im in the same boat but a few things wrong with mine, lcd cable dodgy ( new lcd cables just getting sorted IIRC) needs new keymat (easy fix no need to wait) and both of my nubs are gone,

I dont use the nubs much used them as mouse pointer but now I have set them to joystick mode and just use touchscreen but I too am waiting to find out the policy on nubs and when they can be sent back .

I am a one-nub club member but now have no nubs. I dont mind waiting till jan/feb But I dont want to send in my Pandy now and not get it back till then.

I don't know if this has been discussed at length elsewhere, but I couldn't find it. I just don't want to hassle the girls right now, if there is nothing that can be done until a later date. Any info is appreciated.
I assume it's possible to assign the mouse control to the right nub, if that would help let you use it while waiting for the nub production run to look a bit more concrete, but not owning a Pandora I have no idea how. If it would be useful, hopefully someone around here knows how to do it.

Yeah, I'm just gonna switch over to the minimenu for the time being. I've been using both nubs for many months now, and trying to use one, just won't cut it.

Hopefully a team member will chime in, and let me know how to handle my return. I don't want to send it in, only to have it sit there for months awaiting the "New and improved nubs", that may not arrive for another month. Also, I don't want to tie up Jackie or Debs, with a request that can't be filled currently.

I'll miss my nub usage, as I have used them since my Pandora arrived, and they have worked wonderfully until a few days ago. So the only games I can't really play currently is N64(scummVM I'll just have to use the touch screen), but hopefully once I get my unit repaired, maybe some improvements will have been made. Thanks for all the recomendations guys, it's all greatly appreciated.

Chris

I would contact your distributor and tell about your nub problem but that you don't want to ship it in yet.

We can't replace the nubs ourselves, so they need to be shipped to Texas - and they are currently busy with the rest of Batch 1.

So if you don't want to be a few weeks without Pandora, I suggest to not send it back yet (but telling there's a problem, so we know how many we have to exchange later).

I would contact your distributor and tell about your nub problem but that you don't want to ship it in yet.

We can't replace the nubs ourselves, so they need to be shipped to Texas - and they are currently busy with the rest of Batch 1.

So if you don't want to be a few weeks without Pandora, I suggest to not send it back yet (but telling there's a problem, so we know how many we have to exchange later).
Thanks Ed, I didn't want to contact Craig's shop unless it was recommended by someone in the know. I'll send Jackie a message ASAP, so that she can add me to the repair list for later down the road. Thanks!

Chris

Is there a way to completely disable the nub, mine doesnt center now so when do somethings it moves things no matter what mode its in, maybe that would be a good addition to the mode menu, mouse , scroll, joystick or disable.

Is there a way to completely disable the nub, mine doesnt center now so when do somethings it moves things no matter what mode its in, maybe that would be a good addition to the mode menu, mouse , scroll, joystick or disable.
joystick doesnt do it for you? ...

My left nub just shat the bed on me. Contacting Jacquelyn to inform. Does Texas take walkins, this is not going back to the UK until Batch 1 is complete. Can we save the board? I am fond of #14.

Sorry for grave digging, but I think I have an idea for someone with a similar/identical problem.

I think I know a linux trick to disable the nubs.

At a command line, copy & paste:

Code:
xinput --list

It should list the names for all the devices. Find the name for the nubs, and replace <name> with that in the following:

Code:
xinput float "<name>"

To re-enable it, use:

Code:
xinput reattach "<name>"

I just want to put this out there, but have you tried resetting the nubs to factory, using the Nubs app, and rebooting the Pandora .. then while rebooting, moving the nubs around in a full circle as the Pandora boots up? Its a long shot, but I had a similar situation to you - hung going in one direction - and when I did this procedure it all came back to normal again ..

Relevant how?

Look at the title of the Thread. what is Vader known to scream at the end of Episode III...

Relevant no, but I see were it's coming from.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back