My Gp2X Will Work From A Power Brick, But Not Batteries.

yodaofborg

Assimilated you will be!
Website
Visit site
I know I've seen a forum post before about this, but I can't find the solution. For some reason my GP2X has just stopped working from batteries! I've not done anything stupid like try to power it via the ext port, nor have I tried any mods/hacks to my GP2X. I have had to open it a couple of times to re-jiggle the power button - and have opened it to check the connectors - and they seem sound. It just wont draw power from the battery terminals. I've cleaned the contacts with IPA, and basically tried several batteries, including brand new ones from 7dayshop.

I know theres a power regulator chip (LSTK DC-DC) that gets fried when people connect the GP2X to a center positive charger, but I don't think thats related to my problem, as it still takes power from, and works fine with a power brick. Oh it's a F100 (Gemepark Holdings release), and I am guilty of over-clocking(lots).

Any ideas?

Can you measure the voltage that the brick is sending out? Normally when they stop working from batteries they'll only work from a power supply when the voltage exceeds 4V.

You may also want to run a continuity check on the battery terminals.

Could also be a stuck switch, read second half of this thread:

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/47715-no-longer-boots-from-batteries

Last edited by a moderator:
Some batteries don't make good contact with the GP2X on the positive end. My Maha Imedions are like this and required me to carve plastic away from the sides of the positive connectors so the little metal nipple would fit in.

My F200 also developed this same problem recently. Unfortunately I was recently also modifying it to run on 6 batteries at once, so I have no idea if I caused the problem or not. I'm still working on it so I'll post more here if I figure something out.

Thanks for the replies. The brick outputs 3.4V (It's rated 3V), I have not actually used the PSU for about a year though, I only used it after the fault had occurred to see if the unit was dead or not.

I have checked the terminals, and everything does seem sound, I'll pull it apart again tonight when I get home from work and get a multimeter out.

Sorry for the double post and the bump, but the terminals seem fine as far as I can tell, going to try pass it to a guy at work, and will post an update if I get any results.

I'm gunna try to not use it in the meantime, but I have the first release of snake on dope on my GP2X, and a work friend really wants to beat the *impossible* levels, heh

Yeah some one must be able to help him out!!
Your poor friend must really wanna play snake on dope after you got him addicted and managed to complete the nearly impossible level and now has seriouse withdrawal symptoms.... i bet he dreams of pandoras in his sleep.. not to worry im sure hes on the preorder list now anyway Yoda ;-)

mvickers03 said:
Yeah some one must be able to help him out!!
Your poor friend must really wanna play snake on dope after you got him addicted and managed to complete the nearly impossible level and now has seriouse withdrawal symptoms.... i bet he dreams of pandoras in his sleep.. not to worry im sure hes on the preorder list now anyway Yoda ;-)

Lol :)

My work buddy has confirmed the LSTK chip is not working, power is going to it, but not coming out. I've tried a quick net search, but am not having any luck, anyone have any idea's where to get the chip? I tried the link posted http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/40569-accidentally-put-12-volts-in/page__view__findpost__p__586467 but no joy.

Yep thats the ticket, thanks bunches Squidge. Hopefully mvicke... I mean my work pal can get his fix of snake on dope soon!

[edit]

Do not confuse my work buddy with my work pal, they are different people, and only 1 of them do I trust replacing a chip that small on my GP2X, just for clarification :)

:D snakes on dope man i love it.. i hope it eventually comes out on the pandora when it arives so i dont have to keep borrowing yoda's GP2X

P.s you dissing my Leet soldering skillz ?? hey that USB socket was supposed to be on upside down ALRIGHT!

Lol, just glad my USB sticks were not lying about while dingus *tested* and killed any USB device he could find on it :D You seen how tiny that chip is thou mate? Really damn tiny. Well, my GP2X should be repaired by Monday (fingers crossed) maybe I'll provide some GP2X pr0n for your viewing pleasures ;)

Hahaha yeah, He blew up half of tech! Yeah, the chip.. i'd have no chance soldering that badboy in, It's way too small for me to work on, Lets hope it get's sorted.

Anyways i just bought a F-200b, so i'll have my own in a couple of week's

Ahh, it's half-fixed lol.

It is running fine if I run (as low as) 2v in through the power socket, which it really should not do, but it still is not working via the batteries, but this is good news! It does mean I can make a fine battery mod (I think)

Ah well, either way, I have had this console for ages :)

Back