My Cnc Wiz Hard Case

DaveC

Internal Development
I didn't like all of those bulky puffy "official" cases out there so I made my own out of Corian (that hard countertop material that is a mix of acrylic and mineral). I is quite compact with the case only being a few millimeters bigger all around. Corian also has a nice feel when buffed to a high gloss.

That "Wiz" logo was cut into the case (not painted on) then filled with a mix of clear liquid plastic and super long glow material(Strontium aluminate) that will glow for over 12 hours. It was then buffed smooth with the case surface.

Now I can find the Wiz in the dark :p

wizcase.jpg

Duuuuuuude you could totally sell them...

I'd love to make a cnc case too, we've got a dimension printer in school but its pretty expensive to use :p

Thought about getting that leather carry case, but I surely would prefer a hard case. A soft case only protects the unit's display from scratches and may absorb some drops, but it will do nothing if you apply some pressure - the screen will just crack.

The design I had in mind was a lot less elegant though. More like those cheap and simple tool cases (cordless screwdrivers and the like). I hope someone starts selling something like that.

Well, your case looks ace. Good job. :)

Thanks for the comments.

No I won't be selling these though. They take too much work to make, even the Corian itself is brutally expensive. The price that would have to be charged would turn off the majority of customers.

That is a very beautiful case .. but if you don't want to sell the cases, would you be interested in at least putting the design online somewhere so that those of us with a CNC machine can use it to derive our own models? Seems to me you've pretty much nailed the layout, and it would be a pity to have to do that work all over again .. although, fully understood if you're unwilling to share the files, just thought I'd ask as I do have access to a CNC machine, among other things..

@ DaveC

PM me a price please. :)

torpor said:
That is a very beautiful case .. but if you don't want to sell the cases, would you be interested in at least putting the design online somewhere so that those of us with a CNC machine can use it to derive our own models? Seems to me you've pretty much nailed the layout, and it would be a pity to have to do that work all over again .. although, fully understood if you're unwilling to share the files, just thought I'd ask as I do have access to a CNC machine, among other things..

Awesome stuff you do there in your link. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back