Multiventure (rpg Project) - Discussion Topic

SiegfriedCroes

Game Developer | Pixel Artist
This topic was already on the other Pandora Boards but now that these Boards are working again I will make a topic here too (see this link for the old one).
So Multiventure (Working Title) is an RPG, It will have some features from Animal Crossing, Harvest moon, The Elder Scrolls,... There was also the idea of Multiple Worlds to visit via a Time Vortex worldmap. We were discussing the graphical style and it came to something simular to Golden Sun. Although that could change with the last post I made:

QUOTE ("Dragons_Slayer")
some hours ago I played the demo of a game called Braid, and I was amazed by it's graphics, for people who don't know how this game looks, here a screenshot:

braid01.jpg

I wonder if I could do something similar for my game, instead of using tilemaps I could make every place 1 big beautiful piece of artwork! here 2 examples of some digital artwork I did, the first one is from almost 4 months ago, and the second is my latest using a new technique for the coloring (obviously, only the first one represents something more or less suitable for a game location):

paintinga.jpg

portret.jpg

For the programming part I am leaning toward Penjin (by PokeParadox) but if someone knows of other good alternative 2D (only) game engines (for use in C++), then please tell me.

You can still post feature suggestions for the game, I want it to be a game you like not one only I think is cool.

Wow, I love those graphics! Really nice.

I would to control a man around that isometric 3D environment!

I have never programmed any 3D stuff but I would say Isometric 3D stuff would be less convential 3D. I.E. draw all graphics from the background to the forground. I think for the iso stuff splitting the picture up into parst would be easier - I would to get involved in helping (coding) with this, purely because I love the graphics so much.

Dragons_Slayer posted on May 18 2009 at 11:09 AM) This topic was already on the other Pandora Boards but now that these Boards are working again I will make a topic here too (see [URL="http://forum.openhandhelds.org/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1008 said:
this link[/URL] for the old one).
So Multiventure (Working Title) is an RPG, It will have some features from Animal Crossing, Harvest moon, The Elder Scrolls,... There was also the idea of Multiple Worlds to visit via a Time Vortex worldmap. We were discussing the graphical style and it came to something simular to Golden Sun. Although that could change with the last post I made:

QUOTE ("Dragons_Slayer")
some hours ago I played the demo of a game called Braid, and I was amazed by it's graphics, for people who don't know how this game looks, here a screenshot:

braid01.jpg

I wonder if I could do something similar for my game, instead of using tilemaps I could make every place 1 big beautiful piece of artwork! here 2 examples of some digital artwork I did, the first one is from almost 4 months ago, and the second is my latest using a new technique for the coloring (obviously, only the first one represents something more or less suitable for a game location"]:

paintinga.jpg

portret.jpg
For the programming part I am leaning toward Penjin (by PokeParadox) but if someone knows of other good alternative 2D (only) game engines (for use in C++), then please tell me.

You can still post feature suggestions for the game, I want it to be a game you like not one only I think is cool.

Those art samples look fantastic! One problem with just using one big background rather than a tile renderer is that you still need to add collision information to the image and any other interaction properties. I think these things are easier to manage with tile based map loader/renderer.

Last edited by a moderator:
@ Miner49er: Thanks :) I'm sure I will need some help with he programming part (I'm more of an artist than a programmer, but I think that's obvious ;) ) but that is something for in the future, I first want to have a good idea of what I want the game to be before I start programming (Maybe I'll even wait till I have a Pandora, a Pandora from the second batch). By the way, the first picture is just an example of what it could look like, maybe I would rather do something less isometric, more something like in Children of Mana:

e3-2006-children-of-mana-20060508040048996_640w.jpg

@ joa: I'm glad you like it. I was thinking of some sort of game that you can play forever :p but I've got another idea:

So you have a small piece of land, a bit like in harvest moon or animal crossing, where you have a house you can decorate and store your stuff. In some way you can travel to other worlds (I don't know how yet), I was thinking of something like in a lot of SNES RPGs were you have the Mode-7 fake 3D gameplay (also used for most racing games in that time), some sort of world map with portals to different worlds, these could be anything for example:

-A fantasy/medieval world
-A modern time world
-A post-apocalyptic world
-A Steam/Clock punk world
-Your home world (where your house is)

This way I could make small story world with their own 1 hour quest.

Btw, I'd pay a good amount to play anything that looks like that.

It would be less awesome if you had to pay for it, so to make it as cool as possible, It will be 100% free, and that's a promise!

@ PokeParadox: I said 1 big piece of artwork but ofcourse I can split it into multiple layers for the foreground graphics etc. Is their a way in Penjin to use a black and white bitmap as a mask for collision detection? or a different way to easily making a collision map (using boxes of like 40x40 to contruct it)?

yeah I also use that for a game I am (re)writing now for school, It's very easy in that engine we use (with Region::FromBitmap) but I don't know if Penjin has that feature.

@ PokeParadox : does your engine capable of doing this kind of collision detection?

PokeParadox posted on May 18 2009 at 12:56 PM) [quote="Dragons_Slayer posted on May 18 2009 at 11:09 AM) This topic was already on the other Pandora Boards but now that these Boards are working again I will make a topic here too (see [URL="http://forum.openhandhelds.org/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1008 said:
this link[/URL] for the old one).

QUOTE ("Dragons_Slayer")

braid01.jpg

I wonder if I could do something similar for my game, instead of using tilemaps I could make every place 1 big beautiful piece of artwork! here 2 examples of some digital artwork I did, the first one is from almost 4 months ago, and the second is my latest using a new technique for the coloring (obviously, only the first one represents something more or less suitable for a game location"]:

paintinga.jpg

portret.jpg
For the programming part I am leaning toward Penjin (by PokeParadox) but if someone knows of other good alternative 2D (only) game engines (for use in C++"], then please tell me.

Those art samples look fantastic! One problem with just using one big background rather than a tile renderer is that you still need to add collision information to the image and any other interaction properties. I think these things are easier to manage with tile based map loader/renderer.[/quote]You can 'Slice' images to alow a sprite or other character art type to move around and behind parts of the scene. Another posiblity if you really want to get fancy is apply those graphics to a 3d models in some way, something similar was done in Ragnarok online love the look of that game.

I will stick to 2D, I don't want it to become even more complicated than it already is. Well maybe if I got some time I will try to cut that isometric room example in pieces and see if I can program a character walking in and behind.
Just found these back, some concept art drawings I made like 2 years ago, for a similar game idea, maybe I will finally be able to do something with these:

48664059.jpg
66288799.jpg
51899237.jpg

27985370.jpg
21491630.jpg

@ PokeParadox: It would be awesome if you could include that feature but take your time for it, it's not like I will start programming tomorrow, I will not start until I have a pandora myself, so you have still alot of time :p

These all look awesome, both the concept behind the game (both those 3 rpgs you listed and the games like children of mana and braid you listed as inspiration) and you have great art. the only problem is, the technical limitations would make it more suitable to an adventure game or the like rather than a rpg where you directly control characters like that (Which you seem to already be discussing)
good luck

PokeParadox posted on May 18 2009 at 09:56 PM said:
One problem with just using one big background rather than a tile renderer is that you still need to add collision information to the image and any other interaction properties. I think these things are easier to manage with tile based map loader/renderer.
What about the method used for Wizzley Presto?
(I have no idea if it's viable in this case, I'm just being an instant expert after reading one blog post.)

Gruso posted on May 20 2009 at 12:27 AM) [quote="PokeParadox posted on May 18 2009 at 09:56 PM said:
One problem with just using one big background rather than a tile renderer is that you still need to add collision information to the image and any other interaction properties. I think these things are easier to manage with tile based map loader/renderer.
What about the method used for Wizzley Presto?
(I have no idea if it's viable in this case, I'm just being an instant expert after reading one blog post."]
[/quote]Yeah it's viable, this is an extension to the bitmap collision testing, you use different colours for different properties. The Wizzley Presto link demonstrates it well. For actual collision testing it's still very simple to do. Your collision response would depend on the colours you get back from your Bitmap collision test function.
I had overlooked just using different colours when I made my original post and it seems obvious now. But it's still up for debate whether tile-based is better than whole images, both have their advantages and disadvantages. :p

I don't see a lot of disadvantages when using artwork instead of a tilemap. maybe it's because everyone is looking at that example image to much, it will not be isometric with perspective where your character scales when walking away from the camera, it will just be like Golden Sun, so classic RPG perspective. Programming it will just be "different". Or did I forgot something, what disadvantages would there be?

Ah... just weighing up mem usage against processing. single image is likely to use more RAM as you have big image and then you have the collision map also stored.
Tile rendering has a little more CPU overhead.

Single image is easier to load/display/collision test
Tile rendering can be more versatile...

It's just things to take into consideration rather deal-breakers, there's no right or wrong really.

I'm so glad there are artists of this calibre in the Pandora scene, it's really gonna give the thing a good image.

That is one of the reasons I came here, I have always been interested in making games, Tried it for PC but there are just to many games for this platform that make yours stand out is really hard. Even with graphics like mine, there are a million games that look better. But for the Pandora it's different, most of the time Open Source is about programming, but I want to try and bring something new in terms of Graphics. The Pandora is a good opportunity for this!

Dragons_Slayer posted on May 21 2009 at 02:59 PM said:
That is one of the reasons I came here, I have always been interested in making games, Tried it for PC but there are just to many games for this platform that make yours stand out is really hard. Even with graphics like mine, there are a million games that look better. But for the Pandora it's different, most of the time Open Source is about programming, but I want to try and bring something new in terms of Graphics. The Pandora is a good opportunity for this!
And allready doing a great job with PandoraPanic! Plander and Joust would not nearly have been as nice to look at without your sprites :)

Also really looking forward to what you are making for your own project!

Finally, all my work for school is finished and summer break has actually already started for me, so now I can work on the idea of this game some more. I just made a very quick sketch of what it will look like ingame, if I would use artwork for the map (and not a tilemap), I made a photo of the picture viewed on an Archos 605, it has the same screen as the Pandora so this way you see more or less how it will look on it.

img4122o.jpg

In the next couple of days I'm going to start making a game concept document with everything explained about the game, ofcourse, you can still make suggestions for the game.

Back