Mplayer making loud popping noises

klapse

Central Scrutinizer
Mplayer is making loud popping noises at the start of every new track.

Is this avoidable? Anyone else have this issue?

Edit: The shellscript here http://www.debianuse....php?f=9&t=1347 solves the problem with popping between tracks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't quite say I've seen this issue, at first I thought it may just be the normal amp turning on after being idle, but you say it's between every new track so it's most likely not that. 

with Panplayer2Zoom Edition too?

Never rekognized that.

The Zoom Edition has Audio support too,and much more Formats thab the PanPlayer2 ;)

As the audio is power-friendly, it's probably the shutdown of the circuit.

I am surprised nobody else finds this annoying.

I don't notice it, plus I rather have better battery life with the power off when idle enabled.

Last edited by a moderator:
Now that I think about it, while playing a video in VLC, then suspending, and then unsuspending, the wave form is not centered and produces crisps sounds while playing. I then press space twice (pause and resume) and the audio is ok again. Does not happen always.

Also do you get pops when playing your audio files with rockbox?

Now that I think about it, while playing a video in VLC, then suspending, and then unsuspending, the wave form is not centered and produces crisps sounds while playing. I then press space twice (pause and resume) and the audio is ok again. Does not happen always.

Also do you get pops when playing your audio files with rockbox?
Occasionally I get bad audio (crisp sounds) when playing in Deadbeef. Problem goes away with pausing and unpausing. Never happened with mplayer though.

Despite the loud popping, mplayer is my favorite audio player because I can control it from my laptop with screen + ssh.

Just for reference, I found a post by Notaz about increasing the time to audio powersaving, but this

echo 120000 > /sys/devices/platform/soc-audio/PCM1773/pmdown_time

doesnt solve the problem with popping/cracklng noise between mplayer tracks.

Sometimes when I skip forward using mplayer, I get a very loud high-pitch sound for a split second. Does anyone else have it too?

I have tried to set pmdown_time, which doesn't help, unsurprisingly. I guess the issue is in the software somewhere.

Sometimes when I skip forward using mplayer, I get a very loud high-pitch sound for a split second. Does anyone else have it too?

I have tried to set pmdown_time, which doesn't help, unsurprisingly. I guess the issue is in the software somewhere.
I get that too.

It looks like one solution to the popping noises is to write a script that enables mplayer gapless playback..

"Popping is audible when the sound driver starts or stops. The solution is simple: Do not allow the audio driver to stop, ever. It should simply continue to play "silence" when nothing else is playing."

Edit: The shellscript here http://www.debianuserforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1347 solves the problem with popping between tracks!

Edit2: I added -shuffle to the mplayer invocation and it shuffles between the tracks!

Edit3: The resampling to 48khz degrades the audio quality somewhat. If you want you can remove the resample flag in the mplayer invocation and change 48000 to 44100 in the aplay invocation. However note that this will break playback of 48khz source files (audio will playback too slowly).

Code:
#!/bin/bash
# mpgapless

case "$@" in
   *.m3u) PL="-playlist"
   ;;
esac

rm /tmp/audiofifo
mkfifo /tmp/audiofifo
aplay -t raw -c 2 -f S16_LE -r 48000 /tmp/audiofifo &> \
/tmp/aplayfifo.log & mplayer -shuffle -noconfig all -nolirc -nojoystick \
-novideo -af resample=48000 -nocache \