Movie Encoder

subin

hey, im sorry if this has already been asked (probably has.. i remember seeing a topic on it ages ago) but can someone please direct me to a movie encoder suitable for the gp2x? i recall seeing one which was specifically designed for handhelds.. i would like this one if possible. :D

thanks in advance..

hey, im sorry if this has already been asked (probably has.. i remember seeing a topic on it ages ago) but can someone please direct me to a movie encoder suitable for the gp2x? i recall seeing one which was specifically designed for handhelds.. i would like this one if possible. :D

thanks in advance..

I think the program you are looking for is called PocketDivXEncoder. Personally I prefer the results I get using Auto Gordian Knot. :)

PocketDivxEncoder

Auto Gordian Knot

Edit added homepages found in my old Pocket PC Folder in I.E. Favorites.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the program you are looking for is called PocketDivXEncoder. Personally I prefer the results I get using Auto Gordian Knot. :)

any particular reason?

It's been ages since I used PocketdivxEncoder, so I am prepared to be correct by later posts. But as I recall you have to manually adjust the output image to acheive the correct apect ratio (may have changed in later versions). What used to happen on my pocket pc was that you would get black boarders within black boarders if you get what I mean. Doesn't look very nice.

With Auto Gordian Knot enter the max width and get the correct hight everytime based the input file. The output file is just the image itslef the borders are not encoded and so the file when played back just has one set of black boarders.

no need of all of that above if you want to encode movies from DVD.
In such case, here are the tools:
-DVDX 2.30
-Divx codec 5.1x or 5.21
-DVD software installed on the machine

And, here we go! Once you understand well the features of DVDX, then everything moves smoothly!
I have been using dvdx AFTER using dvdshrink on my dvds because everytime I try to rip to avi directly from a dvd it freezes on me (usually after running fine for awhile....). I have also had trouble with slight sound "hitches" (short breaks in all sound) in the .avi's it produces..... maybe i'm doing something wrong..... It's still the best program I have found for ripping from a dvd.

For AVI conversions (if i downloaded the videos off of bittorent :p ) I use auto gordian knot. It works very well and is very easy to use.

no need of all of that above if you want to encode movies from DVD.
In such case, here are the tools:
-DVDX 2.30
-Divx codec 5.1x or 5.21
-DVD software installed on the machine

And, here we go! Once you understand well the features of DVDX, then everything moves smoothly!

I just use DVDdecrypter and Auto Gordian Knot with the Xvid it comes with.

No problems here except some minor skipped B-frames, I guess I will check the player compatible check box and try my next one that way.

I can recommend using this GUI for ffmpeg; SUPER©. (a nice all in 1 bundle)

http://www.erightsoft.com/SUPER.html

Using this tool, I've succesfully managed to encode videos for about 6 portable media players including GP32, GP2x & PSP.

It does other formats including 3GP (Sony Ericsson P900) and MP4

"try VEMoDe I think that's what you're talking about. I tried it twice with the zodiac's default settings (except I removed the cropping) they both worked perfectly! It's pretty easy to add in the GP2x also, I just haven't had the time to test it's limitations yet. oh yeah, here's the link wink.gif"

http://vemode.corecodec.org/ --------------------THIS IS FANTASTIC!!!!

"try VEMoDe I think that's what you're talking about. I tried it twice with the zodiac's default settings (except I removed the cropping) they both worked perfectly! It's pretty easy to add in the GP2x also, I just haven't had the time to test it's limitations yet. oh yeah, here's the link wink.gif"

http://vemode.corecodec.org/ --------------------THIS IS FANTASTIC!!!!
Thanks sliteist ! :D

I'm the developer of VEMoDe. I am thinking of adding the GP2X (and maybe the GP32) as configured devices for an upcoming version of VEMoDe.

Can someone point me to the video specs that are supported by these devices? Since I don't have one, I will have to count on some of you to let me know if it works alright.

Thanks,
-PF

I just use DVDdecrypter and Auto Gordian Knot with the Xvid it comes with.

No problems here except some minor skipped B-frames, I guess I will check the player compatible check box and try my next one that way.

That's the exact setup I use... I wrote a nice how-to somewhere buried in this forum, and someone (I don't know who) cut-and-pasted it onto the Wiki...

Video Encoding for the GP2X on the Wiki

It works seamlessly, and I haven't had any problems with it (though I don't have a GP2X yet, so I can't test it), it encodes movies beautifully. So far, I have ripped and encoded about six movies (700mbytes each) and their subtitles in anticipation for my GP2X ;) and the TV out. Even though I don't have the hardware yet, the movies play effortlessly in mplayer on the linux half of my machine. I would DEFINITELY suggest this setup.

I'm the developer of VEMoDe. I am thinking of adding the GP2X (and maybe the GP32) as configured devices for an upcoming version of VEMoDe.

Can someone point me to the video specs that are supported by these devices? Since I don't have one, I will have to count on some of you to let me know if it works alright.

Thanks,
-PF

GP2X:

Resolution-320x240

Codecs- XviD, DivX .avis (DivX from 3.1 to 5, I believe)

Storage capabilities-Up to 2 gig SD cards

What else do you need to know?

Thanks,
-PF

GP2X:

Resolution-320x240

Codecs- XviD, DivX .avis (DivX from 3.1 to 5, I believe)

Storage capabilities-Up to 2 gig SD cards

What else do you need to know?

DivX 6 works as well for the gp2x btw, although with sync problems.

GP32 Settings:

DivX 4.12 ONLY (I can send you the installer, but not the source (it's open source) for this), also the latest stable (1.03) XviD may work.

320x240 or less: 320x176 (widescreen) has worked for me, though anything not 320x240 resolution is not guaranteed to work

Audio, MP3 only, low bitrates ONLY. Recommended 56 kbps or less, and use 22050 hz or less

Framerate: if it is 29/24, it has to be halved. Basically, keep it under 15 fps. It is recommended you only half/quarter, do not use custom framerates.

It's all for this player: http://www.gp32x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,0,0,0,6,421

That's about it...

Edit: BTW, I use virtualdub for all video encoding.... wee

well the
Resolution max is 720x420

FPS max of 30

Codecs- XviD, DivX .avi files

there you go i have tested the res' and fps they work fine, as for file types avi is all that i have tested

I'm new to the encoding scene and I've downloaded VEMODE, its great but on my GP2X the sound is out of sync, what should I do?

Back