Move to a new SD card

danielo515

Hello,

Recently I bought a new SD card (the first of some more I guess).

I have formatted it on ext4 and I have leave 4MB before and after the partition.

This question can sound stupid, but I want to do things right. I want to move all my stuff on my old 32GB to my brand new 64GB card. It's enough to just do:

mv /media/32gbcard/* /media/64gbcard/
or should I take something else in consideration?

Many thanks.

the mv command will remove the contents on the original SD card, if you want to preserve your original card until you verify that the new SD card is working properly, I suggest using the copy command.

cp -r /media/32gbcard/* /media/64gbcard/

fyi -r is what makes the cp command go recursively into subdirectories to ensure you are copying all of the files.

Yes,

I wanted to put cp. Thank you very much for avoiding me of doing something I don't want to!

And, is that enough to complete my "migration"? No special actions to the SD card, right?

Shouldn't need any more than that, no - Linux doesn't lock certain files into place like Windows does (pagefile et al) so as long as the structure is the same it should be just fine.

D.

You might have problems if some programs stored complete paths and you use a different label (like /media/bigsd instead of /media/smallsd) but that's not very common. 

I did such a copy and the only problem I got was Hex-A-Hop losing all my progress.

I'm assuming he's just moving an SD card with Pandora related items to a newer card. I could be wrong in assuming that. 

I'm assuming he's just moving an SD card with Pandora related items to a newer card. I could be wrong in assuming that. 

You are right assuming that. My main SD card, located at the left. I don't know if pandora creates any hidden or special file in the "main" sd card. I don't remember how I have created it, but I suppose I used the "create pandora SD card" tool.

If you're already booting from the 32GB card, it won't appear under /media unless you remount it I think.

Once you've done that, 'cp -av /from /to' should do the job.  I use -rpv for general copying, but -p doesn't preserve links, and you need to add -r because it doesn't recurse by default (-drp is equivalent to -a I think).

Back