Mounting the PND Failed

mysticmaus

Hi Again ...

I've been asking many questions lately but i seem to bumb into another problem each day unfortunately , this time about PND Mounting :huh:

Sometimes when i open an Emu or Game I get the message >

Mounting the PND Failed , The Application won't start , Please have a look at .....etc :mellow:

Especially when I open GemRB 0.62 with Baldurs Gate or KOF Flames of Courage > Both 100 % Failure :(

Can somebody tell me what the problem is here , im not very good at linux problems etc..

Last edited by a moderator:
I've run into this a couple times. It's never lasted very long for me though. I normally try closing other programs and switching to workspace 1 and I can get it to work.

I think conky was making some of my emulators do that, I closed it and they started right up.

This happens every time you try to run them? Even after rebooting?

I've run into this a couple times. It's never lasted very long for me though. I normally try closing other programs and switching to workspace 1 and I can get it to work.

I think conky was making some of my emulators do that, I closed it and they started right up.

This happens every time you try to run them? Even after rebooting?

Well GemRB 0.62 and KOF Flames Of Courage just won't run and give me the same error everytime. :(

All other emu's and games are just random > 1 in 10 times or something <_<

it tells you the file to look at for errors, posting the contents of that will help us tell you whats wrong

if you have other apps open its likely it doesnt have enough memory to open another one

I think i found the problem , I renamed the PND's , but these particular games get confused when i do that apparently..

I changed their names back and they work now :lol:

I think i found the problem , I renamed the PND's , but these particular games get confused when i do that apparently..

I changed their names back and they work now :lol:
Why'd you change the name of the PND? If you want it to show up as a different name use a .ovr file :) . If you search override file on the wiki you can see how it's done.

I changed the name of some PND's for a simple reason > too keep them apart!! :p

Otherwise i didn't what game it was because it had a name of 3 or 4 letters...so I changed it to the full name. ;)

But now i know that some games can't handle a namechange. :p

That still doesn't make any sense. What games are you talking about with only 3 or 4 letters? What difference does the file name have over what name you are seeing? Changing the filename should have no impact on whether it can or cannot run (except maybe if there were spaces in the name, I can see how that might cause a problem if it's not handled properly)

Its True :eek:

Here are a few examples >

rott.PND = Rise of the Triad > If you change it to > Rise Of The Triad.pnd it won't work anymore.

kofv5.pnd = King Of Fighters Flames of Courage > Same story ...

A lot more games are like that i just found out , try it yourself. I did it twice ;)

rott.PND = Rise of the Triad > If you change it to > Rise Of The Triad.pnd it won't work anymore.

kofv5.pnd = King Of Fighters Flames of Courage > Same story ...
Try renaming them without spaces. rott->"RiseOfTheTriad", etc...

Hmm , okay i will try that.

So that means the problem must be the spaces in the names. :blink: , Then my pandy doens't get it anymore -__-

Possible SD card corruption? Perhaps try a different SD card with a fresh download.

I had this error after my Pandora suddenly unexpectedly shut down without any prior "low battery" warning.

That's not how the OS should be, but ok, that is what happened.

Long investigations followed, eventually I solved it. Story short:

During the incident I had been using Pandora OS 1.6.a4 booted from my SD card (rather than the internal NAND).

Therefore I then booted from NAND, ran "sudo fsck /path/to/my/SDdevice". Fsck reportedly did some repairs.

Then I rebooted from SD card, and the application started again WITHOUT that error message.

So for me it was definitely a file system corruption which occurred and caused certain apps to not launch but display that kind of error message.

To conclude this issue for me, if someone possibly later looks at this here, see the attached logs.

Summarized: Somehow the PND / UTMP / Union filesystem could not have been mounted, supposedly due to the suffered filesystem corruptions of the OS partition itself.

pndrun_runapp.out.txt

pndrun_runapp2.out.txt

Attachments

• pndrun_runapp.out.txt
    1.2 KB · Views: 143
  • pndrun_runapp2.out.txt
    1.1 KB · Views: 158
@ porg. At least this thread had some logs. thanks.

These "mount: Stale NFS file handle" are scary.

I would recommand to make sure no PND is running and then this as root in a terminal window :

Code:
rm -rf /mnt/utmp /mnt/pnd

mkdir /mnt/utmp /mnt/pnd

chown root.root /mnt/utmp /mnt/pnd

chmod 755 /mnt/utmp /mnt/pnd

If you still have issues, just reflash.

@ sebt3 Managed to repair the SD card partitions via GParted on a Linux laptop. It "repaired" it, but somehow also must have changed the partition layout /geometry or some flags or thelike, because now the Pandora does not boot of the SD card anymore, even though it still has partition 0 FAT (with /autoboot.txt and /pandora with all PND stuff), 1 EXT (with Pandora OS 1.5.a4), 2 SWAP. (Was set up according to http://pandorawiki.org/Running_Linux_from_an_SD_card and worked fine for the last few months)

Now recently the Pandora started to behave odd (very long delays, UI unreactive, etc), and then I realized that the SD cards filesystem went crazy. I often used the utility "SD Mass Storage" to mount the Pandora SDHC card's FAT partition to my Mac. Likely that this process caused some flaws. And I had this one sudden shutdown, I already wrote about.

Any recommended Linux tools / command lines to check/repair the SD card's partition table / file system structure, specifically so that the Pandora boots again?

Back