Motorola Droid Running Pandora's Os

Meany105

Still Fresh
I was just wondering if the pandora's version of Angstrom-linux could run on the Motorola droid. they use the same processor,same amount of ram. finally, the only reason iwas wondering was for n64/psx emulation so, if the OS would be possible, would the emulators work? (i know that is ALOT of if's)

Meany105 said:
I was just wondering if the pandora's version of Angstrom-linux could run on the Motorola droid. they use the same processor,same amount of ram. finally, the only reason iwas wondering was for n64/psx emulation so, if the OS would be possible, would the emulators work? (i know that is ALOT of if's)

Using Angstrom (as-is): No

Rooting Android and adding the apps necessary for emulation: Possible...

Android is basically a bare-bone linux build (think LFS without the ability to replicate) with some custom kernel and apps on top.
If you root your phone and put in busybox and some other core programs I think it *may* be possible to expand it enough to give it much of the same functionality that you see in Angstrom or any other distribution for that matter.
I mentioned doing something like this on the OpenPandora Boards about taking Gentoo Prefix and basically adding Gentoo as an overlay (it wouldn't be full Gentoo because you don't want to write over the core Android system making it inoperable, but you do want to add everything else, i.e. toolchain, python w/ portage for Gentoo and access the to linux apps, system utilities, shells, X apps, etc) on top of Android to give it more of a *normal* linux distro capability.
If this works out then you *should* be able to run linux apps, pandora apps (via pnd), and android apps all on the same device!
I would be more interested on working on this in the near future if anyone else wants to join in.

Last edited by a moderator:
i (for the most part) understood what you said. I can't help, but if this does get anywhere post some links or photos!

Meany105 said:
i (for the most part) understood what you said. I can't help, but if this does get anywhere post some links or photos!
If you're after psx emulation then use psx4droid, it's the same emulator we have, just with more current code...
For N64, it is just a maatter of time before mupen get done for your droid (as the code is wide open), I cant get my mind on how you'll map all the buttons tough..

Last edited by a moderator:
Back