Morphyre Visual For Pandora

maddis

Website
www.ringtonesheep.co.uk
I stumbled across Morphyre, a new visualization for winamp last month. The demo is free but only costs £1.50, $2.50 or €1.75 depending on your region.

It comes from the same guys who brought you R2 and R4 which i have been using for quite some time (mainly in clubs and parties as i am a VJ)

I was very impressed with the smoothness and clarity of the visuals. I put the pandora in to the equation and suggested they port this to the pandora. This was the reply:

Thanks for the info, I didn't know the Pandora was coming out so soon!

Since it's been announced now, I think I can admit that I'm on the development team for the Nokia N900 phone (Which runs Linux, and has the same OMAP3 chip, 800x480 res and TV out as the Pandora).

The OMAP3 is pretty quick, but the SGX is not as good at rendering to intermediate textures (like we do in Morphyre a lot), so I don't believe it would run at a usable speed as-is.

But... That's not to say that it couldn't be ported (I have designed the Morphyre engine to be relatively easy to port to GLES2), and we could just have some of the slower scenes simplified a little. Obviously I really do want to do that, but at the moment I'm struggling to find time even to improve the normal PC version and get the pro version out, so I'm afraid it may be a while before I get around to that.
Source

This looks promising as it would mean we would have a portable visualizer that that can be triggered from any audio input and projected out via the tv out cable.

Let me know what you think :D

What do I think?
Well, some of this might be wrong, since it's just what I thought:

1. I thought Winamp was Windows-only, hence the WINamp.
2. Winamp and XMMS and some other music players have that horrible tiny interface with strange menus, and I hate it. There's nothing wrong with having a standard interface like Rhythmbox uses, for instance.
3. I didn't realize visualizations were such serious business.
4. Ah, so this one creates some really cool 3D scenes. Neat.

Well, good luck convincing them to port it. I'm not up on the visualization scene, I guess... And I hate Winamp.

lulzfish said:
What do I think?
Well, some of this might be wrong, since it's just what I thought:

1. I thought Winamp was Windows-only, hence the WINamp.
2. Winamp and XMMS and some other music players have that horrible tiny interface with strange menus, and I hate it. There's nothing wrong with having a standard interface like Rhythmbox uses, for instance.
3. I didn't realize visualizations were such serious business.
4. Ah, so this one creates some really cool 3D scenes. Neat.

Well, good luck convincing them to port it. I'm not up on the visualization scene, I guess... And I hate Winamp.

The dev team at Morphyre are already set to release a stand alone version so you wont need to run winamp. It will be similar to ProjectM. All you need is to select the audio source and the visuals will respond.

At present, thre isnt really any stand alone visualizer out there, and will need to run through a wrapper such as XBMC, foobar or winamp. I'm hoping if we get a bit more interest over here, the morphyre may be ported quicker.

Edit: Typo

Last edited by a moderator:
lulzfish said:

When was the last time you used Winamp?

(naw)mcx said:
lulzfish said:

Doesn't matter to me, I still find it horrible to use, and I'd rather use foobar2000.

lcdsmarties spectrum plugin is for winamp though, and thats the only reason I have it installed.

(naw)mcx said:
lulzfish said:

Years ago.

No, wait, I installed the new version a while back when I was trying to get a nice media player for Windows.
It had an even crazier interface that still sucked, and it didn't use media hotkeys. It was considerably worse than just using VLC, which at least has a decent GUI.
Anyway, this is clearly not my field of interest, so I should probably leave the thread.

So, how is this different from ProjectM (that can be used completely standalone, and with its own effect rating + playlist GUI, on Linux)?

EDIT: It's been mentioned already, but still? Why would I wanna use this?

dflemstr said:
So, how is this different from ProjectM (that can be used completely standalone, and with its own effect rating + playlist GUI, on Linux)?

EDIT: It's been mentioned already, but still? Why would I wanna use this?

Ive used both ProjectM and Morphyre. Although its early days for this new plugin i see alot of potential. The scenes are very smooth and respond very well to audio. Im not saying that its a replacement to ProjectM but its a far more advanced plugin and goes 1 step further than any other visualizer:

o Flash overlays onto the screen including HDR flare effect, Blur, Negate, and Strobe
o Ability to integrate 3D logos
o Ability to be fully 3D when played at venues which can provide red and blue or polarised glasses
o Different colour modes

Edit: Typo

Back